Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Awards Talk - 2019

Sound Mixing should be subbed in for Editing.
    Another short category for Cinematography.

There'd be some grumbling still... but not like this. This is pretty bad. Even non-film lovers still like Cinematography, and Editing tends to always point to Best Picture winner (not this year though).

I'm surprised at how the Academy continues to make bad decision after bad decision. Talk about abandoning your own audience to capture an audience that wasn't interested.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

There is a reason they wanted a Best Popular Film category after all. They want eyes, and apparently don't give a fuck about turning into the People's Choice Awards. I'm still so surprised about how much energy goes into Oscar prognostication among a subset of online film reviewers/commentators. What compels them to care so much is beyond me.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    continuously astounded that anybody actually still cares about these horrific broadcasts.

as if presenting these awards on camera would somehow magically make it not a boring hollywood advertising circle jerk
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Literally the only thing I have watched of the Oscars in the last 5 years or so has been a replay on YouTube of the La La Land/Moonlight fuck up, because it was funny.

Maybe that's what they need to do - just basically make a huge mess of things all the time. More Rob Lowe/Cinderella numbers, hosts bombing, maybe someone falling off stage drunk.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I will still always love the Oscars. It's still the only event that gathers film nerds and casual filmgoers together. It's the one time of the year people actually give a damn about the medium who are outside that Film Twitter bubble.

Plus it's just super fun to predict and bet on.

This news just makes me furious and I have no idea what the President is thinking (someone pointed out that each category omitted doesn't have a Disney film nominated, so it's purely a business one which they decided to omit and keep).
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Can someone take the TV rights to the Oscars out of Disney's hands? Please?

Watching them devolve to the level of the MTV Movie Awards is insulting to watch.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Literally the only thing I have watched of the Oscars in the last 5 years or so has been a replay on YouTube of the La La Land/Moonlight fuck up, because it was funny.

Maybe that's what they need to do - just basically make a huge mess of things all the time. More Rob Lowe/Cinderella numbers, hosts bombing, maybe someone falling off stage drunk.
    Agree 100%.

However, as pointless and as useless as the Oscars are, the Grammys are far, far worse. The nominees don't make any sense to anyone on any planet. However, the show is inherently more interesting because you can actually make the art during the show. The Oscars are basically just a long show giving out awards to undeserving films - the least they could do is screw up giving an award to the correct undeserving candidate and give it to someone else.

And, I mean, I love Moonlight, but that might be the one time they were even in the ballpark.

While many may say the Oscars are pointless, I imagine Mahershala Ali wouldn't have gotten this year's worth of casting (True Detective and Green Book) if it weren't for his Oscar. Could only imagine the career boost it gives to crewmembers to say they have an Oscar on their resume.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Can you imagine how much better off black actors would have been if the Oscars gave awards to actors that actually deserved the awards over the last 50 years? There are many, many more black actors that would have won, and then we wouldn't be focusing on Mahershala Ali now getting cast. Besides, he's getting cast because he's incredibly over-qualified. Someday he might get cast for something he's merely qualified for and that would be a hell of a day.

Quote Quoting PURPLE (view post)
    Can you imagine how much better off black actors would have been if the Oscars gave awards to actors that actually deserved the awards over the last 50 years? There are many, many more black actors that would have won, and then we wouldn't be focusing on Mahershala Ali now getting cast. Besides, he's getting cast because he's incredibly over-qualified. Someday he might get cast for something he's merely qualified for and that would be a hell of a day.
    eh?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I feel they are going to drive away people like myself and others who still watch and somewhat care. I think this is the first ceremony since 2012 or 2013 that I don't care if I view the whole thing, and I have still seen most of the Best Picture noms anyways.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    VFX to this day, still mind boggles me head. I understand the basic idea of how it works, but I really don't understand how it's done frame over frame, on top of, surrounding or behind live action footage.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

People can trash the Oscars (and awards season in general), but often the only time people see indie or even 'mid tier' studio movies is between November and February (aka awards season), so if it works as a marketing ploy, more power to them. Some of the nominees are bullshit (looking at you Green Book), but if it gets more people to see movies like The Favourite, Roma, Beale Street, I'm all about it.

This is an interesting interview w/ Steven Soderbergh that goes into viewing habits and such:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...erview/582547/
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Variety
    Following a Thursday night meeting with top cinematographers, Academy leadership including President John Bailey and CEO Dawn Hudson have pledged to air every awards category on the live show a week from Sunday.
    So now the Academy is reversing their decision and all awards will air live.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...st-1203141496/

lol, what a bunch of clowns

Academy: "We're gonna have a Best Popular Film category!"
    People: "That idea sucks."
    Academy: "We're not gonna have a Best Popular Film category!"

Academy: "We're gonna have Kevin Hart host!"
    Academy: "We're not gonna have Kevin Hart host!"

Academy: "We're not gonna air the editing and cinematography awards live!"
    Academy: "We are gonna air the editing and cinematography awards live!"

This is more fun than the actual ceremony. What's next?
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I'm really made Eighth Grade isn't nominated. For Screenplay most of all. I'm talking unreasonably mad. Like I keep telling myself "stop caring about that". Still I am mad. Bo Burnham is brilliant.

I have to work tonight, but I am rooting for:

Spike Lee and BlackkKlansman, Spider-Verse, and The Favourite to win something. That is about it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I'm really made Eighth Grade isn't nominated. For Screenplay most of all. I'm talking unreasonably mad. Like I keep telling myself "stop caring about that". Still I am mad. Bo Burnham is brilliant.
    Take that same energy and use it to appreciate how much more correct the Director's Guild, Writer's Guild and Indie Spirit Awards got it by showing their appreciation of Burnham.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

The paradox of the Oscars in 2019 is that online news and social media sites need awards season to generate clicks yet the centrepiece of the discussion is an award show broadcasted on an obsolete medium (TV) honouring achievements in an obsolete art form (film).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Take that same energy and use it to appreciate how much more correct the Director's Guild, Writer's Guild and Indie Spirit Awards got it by showing their appreciation of Burnham.
    That's true. But nobody watches those shows. *insert joke about falling Oscars viewership here*

It may be misguided but I still maintain some idea that the Oscars, at the very least, can bring some attention to films that do deserve it, even if those films don't win an award. And also, when you love something, you want all the things for it. Everyone in this virtual room knows that the Oscars are stale and out-of-touch, rarely celebrating the best that the medium had to offer in the past year. But it's still the biggest film award show of the year, and I'd prefer they recognized it rather than not.

Anyway, to your point, here's a clip of Burnham accepting his DGA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1CKEGzTto

His empathy and respect for a group of people for whom adults hold so much disdain is truly inspiring.

Burnham would have been a good host.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

My prediction is that the Oscars will be streaming on Netflix in the next five years.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    My prediction is that the Oscars will be streaming on Netflix in the next five years.
    Or Disney+, if they're that desperate to keep them by that point.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Ok what did i miss so far?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast