Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Match-Cut Music Swap Spring 2008

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    dreamdead will be listening to The Ape of Naples by Coil.
    Got it in the mail today. Listening now. Very odd rhythmically and syncopatically. Yet quite appealing. Next few days are busy, but I should have something on it in the next week as I familiarize myself with the material.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Got it in the mail today. Listening now. Very odd rhythmically and syncopatically. Yet quite appealing. Next few days are busy, but I should have something on it in the next week as I familiarize myself with the material.
    Hey, I was listening to "Fire of the Mind" as soon as I read this. Glad your first impressions are positive; I think you'll only find it more rewarding on subsequent listens. Coil are truly one-of-a-kind.

It'll be a bit longer before I get to yours, but I checked out some various COTD songs and me likey very much.

Rowland will be listening to Rollerskate Skinny's Shoulder Voices

I will be listening to Planningtorock's Have It All.

BT's album "This Binary Universe" is gorgeous.

The first track, "All That Makes Us Human Continues" has parts in it which remind me of the score to Solaris, by Cliff Martinez - one of my favorite musical scores.

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation, bac0n.

More thoughts to come when I've "taken it all in" a couple more times.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

The Age of Naples, by Coil

rec. by Boner M.

This is one of the albums that captures an uncanny sense of estrangement. Despite a reliance on semi-minimalist repetitions, though, Coil’s farewell album is strengthened by its almost perverse beauty. The Age of Naples continually fosters a sense of unease, harboring alien screams and mechanical dissonance early on (“It’s In My Blood,” in all its apocalyptic tones, is a sure candidate for securing psychosis), but toward the end of the album those sound-scapes evaporate and leave behind a rhythm, albeit one which is forlorn and melancholy, that lingers after the album is completed.

This is an album that privileges introspection, with melodies and syncopated countermelodies generated throughout each song. The first highlight, "The Last Amethyst Deceiver," excels in fashioning an ambient feeling of beauty, yet that sense is distanced through the almost stream-of-consciousness lyrics which make unfamiliar the beauty established in the music itself. It’s almost Brechtian in its alienation effect. That isn’t to say there aren’t moments of aural bliss. “Triple Sun” is haunting in its combination of synthesizers and the marimba, as is “Teenage Lightning 2005.” These similar moments of beauty begin to outweigh the overwhelming sense of alienation that first seemed to dominate the early tracks, especially toward the end of the album. In that sense, there is the distinct feeling of progression toward transcendence as The Age of Naples concludes.

This is an album that I would have never considered without this swap. My industrial / electronic leanings privileged the coldwave artists Chemlab, but there was never this type of sustained beauty in their music; only fleeting glimpses of it. Coil’s use of the marimba is distinct, and their privileging of it separates them from so many other semi-minimalist artists. This is a quality release, and one which I’ll return to for its sonic challenges and for its aural rewards. Thoroughly engaging material.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yay, glad you liked it & great job at capturing the band's esoteric moods and textures. You should check out Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1 (and 2, but 1 first), and then work backwards; at least several of the tracks on Naples are revamped versions of older songs ("Teenage Lighting" is one of their 'standards'). They got less industrial and more dark ambient/minimalist as they went on, but all their stuff is rather consistent in quality.

Will have Newave listened to & reviewed soon...

Nice review dd.

I haven't heard this particular Coil album, but I have heard many others, and they are pretty awesome.

Coil recored a soundtrack for the original Hellraiser film but the studio didn't want to use because it was too dark and strange. It's really cool. One of my prized CDs, I've heard it is very hard to find.

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    I should get around to listening to this soon...not sure why I've been putting it off.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    dang, count me in if you do another of these.

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar

The Sound - "Jeopardy"
    recommended by Acapelli

The album starts off strong with probably the best song on Jeopardy. "I Can't Escape Myself" maintains a rhythmic repetition reminiscent of Joy Division for several measures before incorporating echoing synth vibrations. The verse begins calmly, before reaching the sudden lightning bolt of a chorus which retreats just as quickly as it burst in. The next track, "Heartland" is much more energetic and driven by the keyboards and percussion with a nice little guitar interlude in between. From there the middle section of the album becomes hit and miss, as each track seemed to alternate between solid and boring. "Words Fail Me, " the title track "Jeopardy," and the mainly instrumental "Missiles" are all enjoyable, while "Hour of Need," "Heyday," and "Night Versus Day" sound more like B-side filler. Before the album ends with a couple of decent midtempo tracks, there is a great upbeat song called "Resistance;" my second favorite on the album. I really love the guitar and keyboard on this one. Overall The Sound doesn't do anything truly groundbreaking on their debut album, and their influences are easy to see. However the 6 or so standout tracks are excellent. I would highly recommend this to fans of post-punk in general and especially anyone into Echo and the Bunnymen, Suicide, Joy Division, etc.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman I'm A Machine
    Recommended By Megladon8

Editor's Note: We regret to inform our audience that our reviewer, bac0n, was found dead this afternoon. Well, forensic details pending, we're pretty sure it is bac0n that we found... The room was a bloody mess. And by bloody, I mean bloody, as in the red gooey stuff. Bits and pieces of him were all over the place.

Initial reports are that he rocked so hard listening to the album "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine" by the bass/drum combo Death From Above 1979 that he exploded. Kind of a messy way to go, but at least we're pretty sure he went out with a smile on his face. We'll be able to verify that for sure once we actually find his face.

We were, however, able to recover some notes scratched down as he was listening to the songs on the album, which we shall offer to you as his final testament. Enjoy.

Quote Quoting bac0n
    Journal Entry
    May 12th 2008

Turn It Out....
    what the fuck, PIANO, no wait... WHOA THERE, I think this song just hit me in the nuts. Fuck, that hurt. I think these guys just got back from McDonalds where they each threw down 45 shamrock shakes and then snorted pixie sticks. what the fuck is the guy saying? who the fuck cares? i betcha the guy on guitar is going apeshit just so he can be an asshole to all those folks playing guitar hero.

Romantic Rights....
    Nice riff, I sounds like the guy is playing guitar with chopsticks and they kidnapped the drummer from Interpol... NOW THERE IS THE SHIT FUCKIN A RIGHT FUCKING FUCK FUCK... okay, time to stop typing and rock out with the cock out. BRB

Going Steady...
    Jesus. My ass is about ready to fall off from wiggling it so much and now my dick is chaffed from banging against my zipper. what the fuck am I gonna tell my wife and... aw fuck not again!

Go Home, Get Down
    Great. My dick is bleeding, my ass is sore and now I'm nauseous from whipping my head around. But these guys won't stop! And they won't let me stop! Jumpin' Jesus on a deoderant stick, slow down, you assholes, give a guy a fightin' chance here!

Blood On Our Hands...
    Okay, this isn't ffunnys asanhwrmoee. i'm sharting to hallucinate mhds vishion is g4ettging claioihfy buty i JUST CNA"T STOP WIGLGING MY ASS THE INFECUSTOUS BEATS THE WICKICKD GUITAR RIFFS ITS GETTING IN MY BRAIN

Black History Month....
    SO MUCH BLOOOOODO... LLOSSST DOSOOOO MUCCCCH BLOOOOOD heeelp mesalkj;lkj;ljlkddd
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    Now the reviews start pouring in, I'll have mine (Ride's "Nowehere") in a day or two.

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

.. and I'll probably have mine this weekend.

okay, slackers, you've all ought to have had enough time to have listened to your CDs and formulate an opinion or two of them. Lets see those reviews!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I'll do mine sometime this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12