View Poll Results: SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

22 95.65%
  • Nay

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (Peter Ramsey, Robert Persichetti Jr., Rodney Rothman)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (Peter Ramsey, Robert Persichetti Jr., Rodney Rothman)

I would've never expected a year ago when the first trailer (wildly different in tone and visual look) dropped between Homecoming and Infinity War that upon seeing it I'd be pondering where it may fall in my Top 10 of 2018, but here we are with this incredible, beautiful, lucid, endlessly creative piece of work and I'm spoiled having seen it early while also completely, irrationally mad I have to wait two weeks to see it again.

I love Raimi's Spider-Man 2, Homecoming, and to some extent even Webb's first Garfield installment, but this may just surpass them all, while also allowing them all help make this film's ideas and weight all the more potent.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 12-03-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Yeah, the last time I felt infectiously excited after a Spider-Man movie was after I saw the first one in theaters in 2002. I can't wait to expand on this further when more people see it.

Also, this may just be me, but I couldn't look at Kingpin in this movie without thinking of the bodyguards in The Triplets of Belleville. The animation styles employed in this are truly tremendous.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Yeah, the last time I felt infectiously excited after a Spider-Man movie was after I saw the first one in theaters in 2002. I can't wait to expand on this further when more people see it.
    Absolutely. The marketing has been really smart to advertise the very madcap, Lego Movie-esque nature of it, but there is so much wisely left out, particularly from its opening act that make it so unexpected and refreshing to see play out in the actual film.

If I'm this over the moon about this at my age, I can't imagine how ecstatic I'd be to see this as a kid today. Not to mention its unexpected undercurrent of poignancy, which combined with its moments of perfectly orchestrated elation made me baffled that it managed to also honestly choke me up at least three times.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

This movie is a revelation. If you have superhero fatigue or been tired by Pixar's recent output, this is the perfect antidote for the year. One of the best animated films of the decade and maybe the best pure "comic book" movie... ever? It is a living vibrant thing of beauty where a Nicolas Cage-voiced Noir Spider-man made me teary-eyed. God, I hope this wins the Oscar over Pixar/Disney.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Errand Boy
    Corny and dull. I was so much more impressed by the trailer.

This is easily the most visually amazing animated film I've seen since Wall-E, and as far as live-action stuff goes, it's probably on the same level of even something like 2001 when it comes to sheer, unparalleled visual splendor, which, along with the excellent writing, sense of humor, and overall level of emotion, combine to make everyone who would refuse to see this just because it's a PG-rated animated movie look like a complete and utter fool. Everyone, see it, now.

Quote Quoting Weems (view post)
    Corny and dull. I was so much more impressed by the trailer.
    Here is the "Cut" quote for 2018's top film countdown.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Would love to see it, but this thing is disappearing quickly here in Korea. It might be gone by the time my semester is finished.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Got to see it again this week and I was definitely just as elated. It's just such a joyous, emotional, almost dream-like piece of work with so much ingenuity and craft in it, which is something I don't think I could've anticipated when it was essentially announced as "animated Spider-Man movie Sony is making because they can't do much else.." a few years back.

Pretty easily my favourite "big" movie of this year. Even the things I expected to maybe not have as much power of surprise upon repeat played totally different in their effectiveness because those threads are rich enough that you can knowingly track where the grander plans of each story piece, bit of dialogue, and character arc are ultimately going. It's so jam-packed with ideas, themes, references and yet incredibly never feels overstuffed or unfocused. The fact that there is apparently twenty minutes of fully rendered deleted scenes is both really surprising because of how unusual that is for the medium, but for this particular movie makes total sense.

The one big difference with my second viewing that I got to see it in 3D this time, and wow does it use it masterfully. I'm not sure there's any other movie this year that I would've recommended people go out of their way to see in 3D, but this movie absolutely knows how to utilize it to the fullest for a significantly more immersive and almost overwhelming sensory experience. Not to mention that (unless our projection was especially great) the DCP is still bright and colourful enough that even with the tint of the glasses everything in its art direction still pops beautifully.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Liked it. The first 30 minutes are really good, the visuals grabbed me, there's even a big shock relatively early on, but then I think the movie slowly but surely starts to outstay its welcome. It is oftentimes incredibly kinetic, but rather than exhulting "OH WOW IT'S JUST LIKE A COMIC BOOK!!" and being along for the ride all the way to the end, I was beginning to veer towards exhaustion and "NO LONGER GIVING A DAMN" territory.

Not sure the multiple spideys is something I wanted to see, especially because Miles is already another Spider-Man anyway. It somewhat undercuts the earlier shock [
    ]

This movie gets way, way too busy, and although the psychedelic colors are funky and there is a permanent feeling that it's at least a breath of fresh air, it was too much for me.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

My wife and I had the theater to ourselves when we saw it on Thursday. I echo the previous comments: stunning piece of work, but works best for die-hard Spiderman fans. The rest of us usually get antsy towards the end.

Really enjoyed this one. The central relationship between Parker and Morales was well done, some actual nuanced work between father and son Morales, and invigorating animation style throughout.

I do wish the film had devoted just a bit more time to situating Gwen and Miles as friends in the second act rather than as Miles's misbegotten romantic partners as the finale doesn't quite work since it still feels more like sexual attraction than kindred spirits.
    Last edited by dreamdead; 12-31-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I think this film invented a thousand new colors. New official standard for color testing new TVs, and when it comes out on home video it will be used on every store display model. That movie felt like when you get your eye prescription updated...or like when the acid starts to kick in. A lot of people have been saying best superhero movie ever and/or best Spider-Man movie ever. I don't know if it deserves either spot, but I wouldn't argue anyone feeling that way. BEAUTIFUL, wonderful, touching, great score. Looking forward to revisiting when the 4-year-old isn't more fascinated with his recliner buttons because he had to sit through ten trailers, a short film, and a couple commercials.

P.S. - Middle aged guy in the front row scrolling the internet on your phone the whole movie...you're a monster. Guy beside me who excused himself to take a phone call...you're a model citizen, may you leave long and reproduce many times.

P.P.S. - We watched the 10a.m. show today (a thursday) and it was only a couple seats away from sold out. Crazy.
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-27-2018 at 07:48 PM.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    P.P.S. - We watched the 10a.m. show today (a thursday) and it was only a couple seats away from sold out. Crazy.
    We didn't get (assigned seating) tickets for my showing tonight until a couple hours before, and we had to settle for front-row center. Place was packed.

And a fun, innovative, charming, sincere flick. Sometimes everything happening on-screen was just too much for my eyes, but the clarity of storytelling re: the two leads and the villain give all the free-wheeling insanity an anchor. Basically The Lego Movie of this year.

Producer
    Much more conventional in broad story strokes than I expected (the Kingpin villain, though not bad per se, feels like something lifted from a lesser film), thus when its balance of comedy and pathos is tonally off sometimes, it clanks more for me given the ambition. But otherwise this is so full of visual splendor, rambunctious meta-comedy, and intricate character details (especially how Spider people play off each other) that in the moment its propulsive kineticism proves constantly delightful rather than exhausting. Also, as someone who adores Jake Johnson, I was elated to find more than a strong dose of New Girl's Nick Miller in his Peter Parker portrayal. The way his Parker's lazy slacker, shortcut-finding demeanor layers thickly atop a bruised, surprisingly full heart feels like the Jake Johnson persona modulated to burned-out superhero perfection. 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I'm still thinking about this movie every day and every film I've watched since has been compared to it.

I just posted about how much fun I had watching Aquaman and now I have to say the same about this. It's weird that there are multiple superhero films, multiple blockbusters in general right now (also including Bumblebee) that I am feeling generally positive on, having enjoyed watching so much, but perhaps I'm just getting soft in my old age.

This might be the best of the bunch but I still have some misgivings. I thought the action was weak relative to the spectacular animation deployed in other moments, particularly some of the more humorous moments (Miles sticking to everything after initially being bit is probably the best "action" scene in the whole movie), and the plotting is far too cluttered in the second half. I enjoyed the first half a lot more, since it focused more on Miles. By the time there are multiple Spider-People running around, and we're stopping for an emotional beat involving one of them making a sacrifice, even though they're functionally jokes for most of the film, and then we're stopping for emotional beats involving Kingpin (like WHY?), as if this story even necessitates backstory or empathy or motivation for the perfunctory role of its antagonist (it could have literally been anybody, and I don't even know why it's Kingpin), and I don't know what it is with me and super long sentences tonight, I was losing focus and stopped caring.

That being said, "I want you to have this. It will fit in your pocket." is maybe the hardest I've laughed all year. It's the simple things.

Best post-credit stinger of all-time, too.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I do wish the film had devoted just a bit more time to situating Gwen and Miles as friends in the second act rather than as Miles's misbegotten romantic partners as the finale doesn't quite work since it still feels more like sexual attraction than kindred spirits.
    Yeah, I thought they whiffed this plotline. Not a lot about the third act was working for me, dramatically.

Which reminds me of something else: The film is so cluttered in the back half that it feels like it rushes through part of Miles's arc. Like he can't be Spider-Man one moment and suddenly can the next, after one scene. I wanted to see him actually start to master his abilities, instead of suddenly unlocking all of them after leveling up (+50xp for completing the dialogue scene with his father, apparently). Maybe I'd feel different on a second viewing, better attuned to its rhythms and knowing what to expect, but on an initial viewing, I'm convinced the scripting sort of falls apart by the end.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

This was gorgeous to look at. I particularly loved that it's a story and a universe that could not be portrayed in live action. And, actually, the characterization of Kingpin was one of my favorite parts of the film - they rendered his physicality (which is also impossible to do with an actor unless they used heavy prosthetics) correctly and they quickly established a clear motivation for him. Nicolas Cage as Spider-Noir was also inspired character building.

In short, I'm astonished with this one's freshness and its unique style. I agree that it should become the new standard for TV color correction. As a very tiny and minor complaint, the soundtrack is overall not very memorable.

Spiderman feature films ranked:

1. Spiderman 2
    2. Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse
    3. Spiderman
    4. Spiderman: Homecoming
    5. Spiderman 3
    6. The Amazing Spiderman
    7. The Amazing Spiderman 2

Producer
    I don't think it's that far above Incredibles 2 for me (about 8/10 both, although Spider-Verse places higher), but it would be cool if this goes all the way and gets that Oscar.

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

It's good, but the last battle is a mess of noise and magic and I really could not care less about more daddy issues. That seemed half-arsed and cheap.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    The most visually impressive animated movie I've seen in ages. Just goddamn beautiful. I like cartoons a little more when they push the medium and do things, effortlessly, that you couldn't possibly do in live action.

One of the best Marvel outings. (I'm not sure it beats out the first two Cap movies or Thor: Ragnarok).

BUT ... otherwise, I gotta echo Morris' sentiments.

This was 2 hours of plot, plot, plot and man oh man that plot wasn't interesting. It's totally on rails, linear to a fault, a movie about a boring ass techo-macguffin and the entire story would fit comfortably inside a mediocre CRPG. (Find the magic key, level up, beat the boss.)

I've heard of Spider-Pig and Spider-Gwen before, but I knew nothing about them and this film didn't add to my limited knowledge. Outside a few moments around Miles' uncle and Peter B's burnout, there is zero character development. Zero, really, outside that relentless plot, plot, plot.

Feels largely like a movie written by fans for fans and so requires a HUGE amount of outside context for the non-action beats to land. But there are so few of those that it almost doesn't matter. It's also a movie that plays like a continuous set-piece.

So the moments where Miles takes his "leap of faith" or Kingpin thinks about his family felt cheesy --- the movie reaching for sentiment that was unsupported because the characters were underwritten. Ditto the one-liners and tearful goodbyes at the end.

Still, overall a positive experience. So I voted "yay." The first hour or so is bright and entertaining and the visuals can't be beat.

Despite being one of the more visually interesting animated movies since... Spirited Away... This gets to be kind of a slog to finish, and it really hits at the moment the "SpiderVerse" becomes real. "Another hour?!"

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast