View Poll Results: Operation Finale (Chris Weitz)

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ja

1 100.00%
  • Nein

0 0%

Thread: Operation Finale (Chris Weitz)

Operation Finale (Chris Weitz)

I had high expectations for this film, not only because a lot of acquaintances of mine worked in it in some capacity (it's shot in Buenos Aires, Hurlingham and Bariloche) but because the true story of how they smuggled Eichmann out of Argentina is fascinating.

First, the good. The 1960 setting is wonderfully researched and done. After seeing an entire history of goofy depictions of my country (such as Villa Gesell, a coast city, with mountain tops in X-Men: First Class) it's refreshing to see not only what the suburbs of Buenos Aires would have looked that in the time setting but also the attitudes, customs and political scenarios accurately depicted. The cast is uniformly excellent, and the scenes of Isaac and Kingsley having a showdown are predictably excellent. It's pretty funny to me how Inglourious Basterds typecasted a lot of actors and now we're seeing Brad Pitt as a WWII soldier/spy and Mélanie Laurent as a vengeful Jew in any other movie.

The bad is not so bad come to think about it. This is still a Hollywood movie crafted by Chris Weitz and many scenes are clichéd to a fault - the "getting the reluctant member of the team (Laurent) to join" moment and the shaving scene are basically codeword bits we've seen too many times before and it would have been nice to see this film put a spin on them. In fact, the Laurent character as a whole is a bad idea. She's fictionally added to the cast presumably to have a love interest in a story that didn't really need one and, for all the attention to detail that was put into creating the period setting, it was pretty jarring to see a woman nurse being so respected and listened to in a military setting.