Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Top 20 MERICAN 80s Horror Movies

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Top 20 MERICAN 80s Horror Movies

It's HALLOWEEN! So time for 80s horror game with Dukefrukem: the genre that absolutely terrified me as a child. Walking into the VHS rental store (which was close enough to ride my bike to), pretending to look at films suited for a ~10 year old (Back to the Future, Burbs and Star Wars were frequent rentals), out of the corner of my eye I would really be mesmerized by the art in the horror section - VHS tape sleeves. Sometimes my friends with older brothers would rent movies for us, and we'd just pick the VHS that looked the coolest on the shelf. I have very fond memories of the terror I felt watching these movies, and somehow I always wanted more. It became an adrenaline. Every new horror movie led to a different scary thing I didn't know existed. And since then, I've always loved that feeling.

So this list is dedicated to the B-movie, campy, body horror, slasher decade that made me the man I am today.

if anyone can successfully predict the top 3 movies on the list, they will win a free copy of any movie of their choosing from the list (blu-ray or digital (hell or DVD if you want)). Furthermore, if anyone can successfully predict any 3 movies sequentially, you will win a copy of one of those three movies (of your choosing). If anyone guesses the correct spots of any 5 movies, they will win a copy of one of those five movies (of your choosing).

I'm just planting this seed now- because I'm going to do some other stuff in this thread, but don't start guessing until I release the hints later this month.

What qualifies to be on this list?

• They need to (at least) be jointly made in America
    • They need to have been RELEASED between 1980 and 1989 in the US (according to IMDB)
    • They need to be of the horror genre (or sub genre) according to IMDB's top 4 categories

No movies are exempt from this list!

Hints will be released October 12

• 1. Every year is represented on the list with the exception of 1989 and 1983
      2. Year of my birth was a good year for horror- three films are represented
      3. There are there directors on this list that have 2 movies represented
      4. Two of the films on this list are remakes, Three films are adaptations
      5. Four films on this list are from two different franchise, 17 films are either part of a franchise (at least 1 sequel made), are a remake itself or have since been remade. (18 if you include films in pre-production)
      6. Five of the films on this list are sequels
      7. Two films on this list were nominated for Academy Awards, one film won.
      8. Tom Savini had a “role” in 2 films, Core Feldman makes two appearances and the scream queen herself makes one "visual" appearance
      9. In two films there are zero on screen deaths
      10. Three films are inspired by H. P. Lovecraft.

HM: Will begin October 15

HM1: Xtro (1982)
    HM2: Day of the Dead (1985)
    HM3: Sleepaway Camp (1983)
    HM4: Silent Night Deadly Night (1984)

List will begin October 20

20. Terror Train (1980)
    19. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    18. Fright Night (1985)
    17. Friday the 13th the Final Chapter (1984)
    16. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
    15. From Beyond (1986)
    14. April Fool’s Day (1986)
    13. The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    12. Gremlins (1984)
    11. The Burning (1981)
    10. The Shining(1980)
    9. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
    8. Re-Animator (1985)
    7. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    6. Evil Dead II (1987)
    5. The Fly (1988)
    4. The Blob (1988)
    3. Poltergeist (1982)
    2. Evil Dead (1981)
    1. John Carpenter's the Thing (1982)

Recap of past Lists:

The Top 20 MERICAN 90s Horror Movies - http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...-Horror-Movies

The Top 18 MERICAN 90s Action Movies - http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...-Action-Movies
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Before we get into Honorable mentions, I'm going to post a few posters that terrified me as a kid.
    Some of the art on these movie covers were brilliant. Some of these I didn't see until recently.

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I adore The Stuff. I'll never forget watching that on a 10" black and white tv as a kid and it terrified me. Some of this artwork is why I started collecting VHS again.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I adore The Stuff. I'll never forget watching that on a 10" black and white tv as a kid and it terrified me. Some of this artwork is why I started collecting VHS again.
    Let me tell you something.... it does NOT hold up.

- - - - -
    Very much looking forward to the list. I remember in Duke's last thread like this, Skitch guessed the correct order a coupla times and I got close. That was a lotta fun.

The memories of old horror VHS covers are dead on. Those things had like a magnetic pull for me and my friends.

One question: The thread title says "80s" but your post says only movies from 1990-99. Which is it?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Let me tell you something.... it does NOT hold up.
    Oh I watched it a year or two ago and it may be the nostalgia talking but it totally did for me. . But I would never question if it didnt for others.

The Stuff is horrid.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Ah yes those horror VHS tapes. I know the feeling Duke. I remember being freaked out by these:

[]

[]

And oh man that tagline for the 2nd one
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Very much looking forward to the list. I remember in Duke's last thread like this, Skitch guessed the correct order a coupla times and I got close. That was a lotta fun.

The memories of old horror VHS covers are dead on. Those things had like a magnetic pull for me and my friends.

One question: The thread title says "80s" but your post says only movies from 1990-99. Which is it?
    Bwhahaha, that was a copy paste from my last horror thread that you mentioned. Fixed.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Ah yes those horror VHS tapes. I know the feeling Duke. I remember being freaked out by these:

[]

[]

And oh man that tagline for the 2nd one
    I think I didn't take that time period for granted. Where today, can you see genre movies, laid out on shelves, with the covers facing outward? Even if you go into a physical store today to look for DVDs or something, they are all stacked sideways. You NEVER see the cover art. So going to a rental store in the 80s and 90s, they would separate everything by genre. The Comedy section would always have WHITE covers. The Action section would be FIRE and EXPLOSIONS. And Horror would have these incredible art. And the horror ones were interesting to me because they told a weird story.

For example, the April Fools Day one above, I would be thinking: Is she hosting a party? Why did she tie her hair like that? Did she invite everyone into a room to kill them all? Why did she even dress up to do this?

If anyone wants to recap:

The Top 20 MERICAN 90s Horror Movies - http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...-Horror-Movies

The Top 18 MERICAN 90s Action Movies - http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...-Action-Movies

From Beyond is great. The Stuff and April Fool's Day are solid.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

My top 20 list is pretty solid- but I've been watching a ton of stragglers from this decade to make sure there wasn't anything I missed.

Hints coming tomorrow- I have a couple more movies to watch tonight to feel good about my top 20.

Hints are released- let me know if any clarification is needed.

1. Every year is represented on the list with the exception of 1989 and 1983
    2. Year of my birth was a good year for horror- three films are represented
    3. There are there directors on this list that have 2 movies represented
    4. Two of the films on this list are remakes, Three films are adaptations
    5. Four films on this list are from two different franchise, 17 films are either part of a franchise (at least 1 sequel made), are a remake itself or have since been remade. (18 if you include films in pre-production)
    6. Five of the films on this list are sequels
    7. Two films on this list were nominated for Academy Awards, one film won.
    8. Tom Savini had a “role” in 2 films, Core Feldman makes two appearances and the scream queen herself makes one "visual" appearance
    9. In two films there are zero on screen deaths
    10. Three films are inspired by H. P. Lovecraft.

Bring on the guesses! (can be sent via PM)

Reminder to get your guesses in- I'm going to try and start this on Sat, but I can wait if people want to tweak their lists.

No guesses yet.

Sorry dude. I've been working dawn to dark. This transition to new job...the old job is trying to kill me. Its like it knows I'm about to escape.

Hah no worries. I dont mind waiting. Just sending friendly reminders here and there.

Gizmo's guesses are in.

Honorable Mention: Xtro (1982)
    Director : Harry Bromley Davenport
    Threat(s) Xtros

Threat Premise :
    A man who was abducted by aliens returns to his family three years later, but his presence affects them negatively (understatement of the year).

Why I’m mentioning it: It’s UK Film, so it doesn’t qualify for the list, but I’m mentioning here anyway. We talked about this movie a few years ago and it’s bizarre as hell. Half alien half human hybrids, impregnating humans… I also think this movie was one of the first horror movies I ever saw as a kid. There are some scene in that resemble a dream that have stuck with me for years. So I think I saw this when I was little and it had a huge impact on me. It’s pure 80s horror joy and should be watched by all.

Best Death: Birthing Scene

HM: Day of the Dead (1985)
    Director : George A. Romero
    Threat(s) Dumb and Slow Zombies

Threat Premise : A small group of military officers and scientists live in an underground bunker as the world above is overrun by zombies.

Why I’m mentioning it: I have to. It’s a solid zombie film, and I’ve watched this movie a million times, but every viewing I feel it becomes more generic and tiresome. It doesn’t have the same lasting appeal that Night and Dawn have and I really don’t like the introduction to the new ideas surrounding zombies that Romeo wrote around Land of the Dead.

Best Death: Rhodes Death

LOVE Xtro. Day is still my favorite of the series. Rhodes death is so freaking extreme. Watched Day of the Dead: Bloodline this morning. Spoiler alert, its sucked.

Bloodline is so bad. So bad. So is the other direct to dvd sequel they made a while back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast