View Poll Results: Tickled?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hehehehehehehe yes

6 100.00%
  • No, stop

0 0%

Thread: Tickled (David Farrier & Dylan Reeve)

Tickled (David Farrier & Dylan Reeve)

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

As far as subject matter is concerned, this is the most engrossing documentary I've seen in a while. I had meant to see it when it was in theaters, but missed it. Which is now one of the few times I'm glad that happened, because HBO released the film along with a 20-minute follow-up special that's just as fascinating as the initial investigation. The problem here, I guess, is that the story is obviously far from complete. So maybe we'll get ongoing updates every few years? I'm not sure that's ever been done with documentary features. It begs the interesting question if the filmmakers should've waited until they situation is resolved to be able to present the whole story, but I understand that this was funded via Kickstarter and they wanted to honor the release target.

Maybe HBO can take ownership of this and release a half-hour special every year or something.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm not sure that's ever been done with documentary features.
    Unless you specifically mean one story stretched over many feature, the "check in every few years" documentaries are still being done by Michael Apted's Up series (it started in 1964 and is still on going).

Mild yay for this. Great story, but I couldn't help feel the story isn't big enough for a feature length so it kinda feels diluted a bit in some tangents.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Oh shit, I completely forgot about the Up series. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

EDIT: I would argue, though, that given the nature of Up, each chapter can be considered a complete snapshot of that period, which is different from just putting out updates on an ongoing case because they don't want to wait until its conclusion. So this is more of a glorified vlog.
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    The Paradise Lost documentaries, about the West Memphis Three?
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Thanks for drawing attention to this, 8. I otherwise never would have watched this and it is riveting stuff.

I am certainly eager to hear more of the story going forward, but I'm not sure they could have waited until the story was complete because they don't know when the story will be complete. The shenanigans at the film festival only occurred because the film was made and released. With someone as demented as this person is, can you ever really be sure that you've seen the end of harrassment?

I really wanted to hear about what happened with the stepmother's lawsuit. There was no follow up to that and I felt super bad for her. I hope (assume?) that they got some sort of release from her to use that phone conversation in the film. Otherwise, given everyone else warning the filmmakers to just stay away from D'amato, she may not have agreed to talk knowing the likely legal blowback.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I really wanted to hear about what happened with the stepmother's lawsuit. There was no follow up to that and I felt super bad for her. I hope (assume?) that they got some sort of release from her to use that phone conversation in the film. Otherwise, given everyone else warning the filmmakers to just stay away from D'amato, she may not have agreed to talk knowing the likely legal blowback.
    I thought about this too. At no point on camera do they warn her that she's being recorded and, given D'Amato's insanity and history of taking legal action, it seems like a pretty shitty thing to do to her.

The documentary is indeed fascinating. An unusual trip down the rabbit hole of the internet.