Let me just say that the first hour of this movie I was pretty convinced this could've been "favourite of the year" stuff for me, and I still hold the movie in generally high regard because of it being able to give me that portion of it, but yeah, it definitely begins to feel like it's straying from the path of greatness somewhere after that.

Perhaps it's when the movie speeds along the initial tour (and as a result, their relationship) in quick montage mode, or it's also more possible that it's when the somewhat distracting meta-ness of Ally's very Gaga-like ascent takes over the narrative of the relationship between her and Jack that it starts to feel more about real-life parallels than the world they're creating. And I realize in basic narrative terms her becoming the pop star is an intended strain on them, but I was just left mostly thinking about if Gaga was finding a way in code to comment on how she hates songs like "Love Game" and others from her debut The Fame, despite what they may have done for her. (But for the record, "Paparazzi" still owns.)

Otherwise I think it may be more to-the-point if I just share which moments got me so good that I gleefully shed tears:

[
]

So anyway, I think it's mostly pretty excellent, but not entirely. Though for when it is, it's a extremely endearing and engaging cinematic time that I'd have trouble not recommending to anyone because of those strongest stretches.