Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
Isn't there two flashback cuts? One of him working the song out solo on guitar and then the one with the two of them on piano? I think it would be more affecting with just the one flashback cut of the two of them at the piano.
Ah right, after the latter one I didn't even remember that they may have cut to another string of flashback visuals earlier as you continue to hear her sing. But yeah, that second one where the bombast cuts out and it's suddenly just them quietly on the piano with him playing it for her for the first time was the one that I was referring to that joyously wrecked me.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
And yeah, I think the 'staring into the camera before a hard cut to black' is the Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" of film endings; something that used to be heartfelt and unique becomes shorthand for "this is how a bunch of other movies ended, so let's do that."
Pretty much haha.. Even when The Revenant did it a few years back I thought "Ennnhh why do this?"

I'd argue it works more in a film that literally wants to turn to the audience to confront them in some way, but I'm not even sure if this film is doing that, or what it intends to mean by the gesture at all.