View Poll Results: How awesome is this movie?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a special one, Mandy.

11 84.62%
  • CRAZY EVIL!

2 15.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandy (Panos Cosmatos)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    That bathroom scene might be the worst scene I've seen all year. It's just bad.
    k .
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I loved this, but I dig cult movies and I like Nic Cage when a director properly unleashes him.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Here's the problem:

[
    ]
    This is certainly true. This is not the kind of movie where the plot matters but still, it follows a very traditional revenge structure where every other aspect of the filmmaking is balls to the walls insane. That's what makes it unique but I wish they'd make things a bit more difficult for the protagonist. His friend with the crossbow warns him that the odds are against him but then that turns out not to be the case.

Bathroom scene was certainly a highlight as were the first LSD trip, the animated sequences and the chainsaw swordfight. My main takeaway from the film is that Nicolas Cage is the most interesting Hollywood actor alive. He reminds me of Vincent Price in that I'm never sure if he's brilliant or an outrageous scenery muncher but he will never phone it in and he will always do something a little absurd and off-key with his characters.

Exactly Grouchy. There's nothing wrong with a good revenge film. We know what's going to happen. We want to see HOW it happens. Not even movie needs to be the Sixth Sense.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's not a matter of having a twist ending like The Sixth Sense. It's a matter of having something that is still worth fighting for. This is the frustrating thing about Cage and this movie in particular. In the first half, he shows the capacity to tap into a deeply, passionate humane performance. In the second half, he becomes mostly a wacky cartoon. There are clearly some people who enjoy him in that mode. I'm not one of them. And regarding the film itself, there are clearly some people who enjoy watching baddies die gruesomely simply for the sake of it. I'm not one of them. In Kill Bill, Tarantino uses several devices to sustain viewers' interest: mystery, personal growth, a code of honor, the lure of a past lover, a child. Mandy doesn't have any of this. It's empty revenge. Red's success or failure is almost completely inconsequential. It's cartoons fighting cartoons.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

In the second half, he becomes mostly a wacky cartoon. There are clearly some people who enjoy him in that mode. I'm not one of them. And regarding the film itself, there are clearly some people who enjoy watching baddies die gruesomely simply for the sake of it. I'm not one of them.
    I'm part of those two groups of people you're describing (as a huge fan of the Bad Lieutenant remake and, quite frankly, revenge films in general) but I still wish the second half of the film was a bit less linear. While watching it I was thinking of a lot of possible interesting things that could happen and didn't.

It's not a matter of having a twist ending like The Sixth Sense. It's a matter of having something that is still worth fighting for. This is the frustrating thing about Cage and this movie in particular. In the first half, he shows the capacity to tap into a deeply, passionate humane performance. In the second half, he becomes mostly a wacky cartoon. There are clearly some people who enjoy him in that mode. I'm not one of them. And regarding the film itself, there are clearly some people who enjoy watching baddies die gruesomely simply for the sake of it. I'm not one of them. In Kill Bill, Tarantino uses several devices to sustain viewers' interest: mystery, personal growth, a code of honor, the lure of a past lover, a child. Mandy doesn't have any of this. It's empty revenge. Red's success or failure is almost completely inconsequential. It's cartoons fighting cartoons.
    I didn't mean necessarily a twist ending, just something the audience would be surprised about since your initial reaction was the ending is predictable.

I'm in Spinal's boat. I can appreciate the artistic look to this movie, but in its execution, the villains are mostly one-note, and the deaths are pretty similar. Except for the Main Boss who is pretty unique... But still..

One movie that starts to get the villainious characters interesting is Revenge. Although the ways everyone dies in that can be predicted when we see the establishing shot.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    In Kill Bill, Tarantino uses several devices to sustain viewers' interest: mystery, personal growth, a code of honor, the lure of a past lover, a child.
    Not to mention that Tarantino changes his visual style from sequence to sequence, and stages his action scenes differently from one another. It helps distract the audience from an otherwise linear plot.

"Mandy" is a geek-show. We're there to see Cage bite the head off a cinematic chicken. But I couldn't tell if Cosmatos was presenting super cheesy material as an homage to 70s style trash or whether he thought this shit was genuinely good in its own right.

"You must spread some reputation around..."
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    But I couldn't tell if Cosmatos was presenting super cheesy material as an homage to 70s style trash or whether he thought this shit was genuinely good in its own right.
    I think it's clearly the former - it's a very pop infused picture, what with the pillow talk about Galactus, the Black Sabbath t-shirt and the old sci-fi movie on TV. Plus the period setting.

By the way, the first thing I did after getting out of the theater was check if Goblin Cheddar had ever been a real thing. Stranger shit has happened.

The guy behind "Too Many Cooks" created the Cheddar Goblin commercial.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Heh I prefer Mandy over both Kill Bill films.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12