The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

It gets off to a really rough start, with the first half hour being simply miserable to sit through. However, around the time that Blake Lively goes missing, it does gradually get better and better from there, to where by the end, I was actually quite digging this film. A decent effort.

Producer
    Such a weird little film, in both good and bad ways. The jumbling of tones and genres has some conventional stretches fall flat (mostly the exposition ones, as in the first 10 minutes or so and the backstory sleuthing), but it also makes for some unpredictability and deliciously self-knowing batshit turns, which makes it such a fun, if uneven, ride. Big picture plot remains deeply unsatisfying, even if the film is engrossing on a moment-to-moment what-the-hell-are-they-going-to-pull-next basis, and it has a gloriously over-the-top ending that couldn't be more into my humor wheelhouse. Performances carry it a long way, especially Blake Lively, whose modulation of a wide range, from sincere vulnerability to cruel glibness, grounds the film's similarly various tones so well. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

This is fun.

Comparisons to Gone Girl are inevitable and it goes without saying that Paul Feig is no David Fincher (although Feig's work here is serviceable in an overlit, suburban way), but it reminds me more of certain trashy 90s femme noir comedies like Cruel Intentions and Wild Things.

The screenplay is engrossing, self-aware nonsense, even if there isn't much of a takeaway. The two leads are doing some of their finest work. Good music too.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 09-27-2018 at 05:06 AM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I thought this was hilarious and fun. More Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick pairings, please. [
    ]
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    It gets off to a really rough start, with the first half hour being simply miserable to sit through.
    Huh. That was the part I liked best, with Stephanie and Emily getting to know one another. I kind of lost patience with the all the back and forth maneuvering late in the film. I think tolerance of this film largely depends on how one feels about Anna Kendrick and I confess, I find her utterly adorable, even if her performance is a bit broad. Sadly, the film suffers from being just so ... Feig. Man, the guy is a bore of a director.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    I struggled to finish this.

The comedy is pure sitcom, the characterizations are really half assed, and the suspense isn't suspenseful.

The narrative POV is all fucked up, but I think the biggest problem is that Kendrick's character doesn't have an immediate stake in her so-called best friend's disappearance. So the interminable second act is her working out loads of exposition. None of the revelations are based on character so everything feels arbitrary.

Lively proved again she should be in better movies. I'm tired of Kendrick; I can't tell if she lacks range or she's just pigeon-holed herself into playing the same woman over and over and over again. Like she's found her schtick and she will keep with it, God help you, until you have to pry it from her cold, dead hands.

Also, JFC. The tone. What the hell were they thinking. [
    ]

And yeah. Feig is all about comfortable mediocrity, like his biggest ambition is to make films that play at the local mall.

I feel bad about giving this standard thriller a pass while pointing out the flaws on more ambitious, personal projects like Hereditary or Sorry to Bother You. The fact remains that despite Feig being a bland, TV-like director, the script and Blake Lively's performance turn this into a very fun experience. By the time the film piles up one revelation too many ([
    ]) you're either with it or completely alienated and I was with it.

I’m surprised this got so many positive marks. I’m generally down for a fun yarn, but this material desperately needed a real craftsman in the director’s seat. This played like a slightly elevated Lifetime movie with Fieg’s bland direction and the tier-B actors. I guess the comedy is supposed to be the saving grace — and for that aspect, Kendrick and Lively are fine — but it’s not even close to funny or smart enough to be remarkable in that regard.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2