Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Secret Thread That No One Wants Other People to See While Posting in Public

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Secret Thread That No One Wants Other People to See While Posting in Public

So we can stop clogging up the Random Thoughts thread with our sexual tirades.

So yeah...sex is good.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    So we can stop clogging up the Random Thoughts thread with our perviness.

So yeah...sex is good.
    what's sex? :crazy:
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    what's sex? :crazy:

Girls have a penis, boys have a vagina.

Voltage!!!
    How about we make this the Kindergarten Cop thread?
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    and how's that has anything to do with batman and santa claus?
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

"Perviness?"

That you Canadians equate "sex" with "perviness" is pretty messed up.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    "Perviness?"

That you Canadians equate "sex" with "perviness" is pretty messed up.

It was a joke.

It was a joke.

This should be the SDT (Sex Discussion Thread) in which we rate our sexual experiences and then argue about our ratings systems.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    This should be the SDT
    This is guaranteed to be misread, and I'd rather not be posting in it when that happens.

There. It's changed.

And I have to admit. Maybe it's different in the States, or even in other parts of Canada, but here we're still very much brought up/taught that sex is something men like, and women give it to them to shut them up.

I didn't know that women got pleasure from sex, too, until I started talking about the subject with my female friends who revealed that, yes, it's pleasurable for them as well.

It was like a revelation to me.

There. It's changed.

And I have to admit. Maybe it's different in the States, or even in other parts of Canada, but here we're still very much brought up/taught that sex is something men like, and women give it to them to shut them up.

I didn't know that women got pleasure from sex, too, until I started talking about the subject with my female friends who revealed that, yes, it's pleasurable for them as well.

It was like a revelation to me.
    It's maybe an Ottawa thing, or a Quebec thing, or the fact that I'm a woman, and went to an all girl's school, but this is very far from what I was brought up to learn. It's good you've come to realise you were miseducated, but it's shocking to me that someone wouldn't just realise it.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't think I've ever met any sex positive, "open" people who would say such a thing--and I'm one to surround myself with them (not because I think they "got it right," but because it's more comfortable for me to be myself around like-minded folks).

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with "sex positive" and "open" (or "promiscuous") being used in a similar fashion - if that is what you are doing here, which I'm not sure it is.

I would say I'm a "sex positive" person, but I'm not engaged in an open relationship or sleeping with multiple partners.

The idea of "sex positive" meaning that someone engages in these kinds of relationships is, to me, the same kind of regressive thinking as saying "sex is sinful".

Doesn't "sex positive" have more to do with someone acknowledging sex as a positive and important part of relationships and life in general? Not as a means of describing oneself as interested in multiple ongoing and simultaneous sexual relationships.

That said, ultimately I think Dan Savage was right when he said that the real problem is not in what people prefer but in the total dishonesty of the public discourse. A lot of monogamous couples would tout monogamy as the height of commitment and then fail at it, because their preference for monogamy may have been more motivated by fear or societal pressure than genuine, honest desire to only be with one person.

But this would be just as big a problem the other way around as well - if one partner feels pressured to engage in an open relationship that they don't want, because of their desire to be with that person.

I think dishonesty about sexual needs and desires in a relationship is a very negative thing regardless of the circumstances of those desires - a person wanting genuinely wanting monogamy and not getting it, or a person genuinely wanting an open relationship and not getting it, or any one of a million different potential situations.

Honesty is the backbone of a healthy relationship regardless of what that honesty is pertaining to.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with "sex positive" and "open" (or "promiscuous") being used in a similar fashion - if that is what you are doing here, which I'm not sure it is.
    I just meant people who are both things.

But this would be just as big a problem the other way around as well - if one partner feels pressured to engage in an open relationship that they don't want, because of their desire to be with that person.
    No, not really, you're talking about something very different. What a couple's relationship is like should be determined by the couple themselves and what they've negotiated it to be. So what you are or are not willing to engage in is between you and your partner.

I was bringing up dishonesty on a public discourse level. There is no societal pressure to engage in non-monogamy. You're not typically going to have family members scowl at you for not letting your partner have sex with other people. Society's conversation about commitment is tipped to one side, whereas their actions and thoughts tend to skew the other way. That's where the dishonesty is.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ah, OK, well in that case I very much agree.

I just disagree with the idea of one side or the other being seen as definitively right or wrong - that is, being promiscuous or being monogamous.

People should do and engage in what they enjoy, what fulfills theirs and their partner's needs and desires whatever they may be (within reason of course - necrophilia is icky).

You know, just like everything else in life.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    As a male, I think that there is very much so pressure to engage in non-monogamy. Perhaps not society as a whole, but at least part of society will encourage a man to "sow wild oats" or what have you.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Yeah but there's a hierarchy of respect. There's a reason why romantic comedies start with the premise of someone being promiscuous and then it's seen as character growth when they finally find monogamy.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ugh, seriously? That one certainly hasn't been done to death.

It was a genuine question.

Ugh, seriously? That one certainly hasn't been done to death.

It was a genuine question.
    To which my answer is no.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It's possible that she's dating a boy who identifies as a girl, or the other way around, and hasn't gotten used to switching the pronoun.
    Movie Theater Diary

She might also just think it's cute.

(I think it's kind of cute.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Was it really that ignorant of a question to ask?

I was genuinely curious. I had/have no malevolent intentions. It was an innocent question.

Was it really that ignorant of a question to ask?

I was genuinely curious. I had/have no malevolent intentions. It was an innocent question.
    I think if you want a definitive answer, you're asking the wrong person(s). We're all just as much in the know as you are in this case, it seems.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    I think if you want a definitive answer, you're asking the wrong person(s). We're all just as much in the know as you are in this case, it seems.
    Yeah, I was merely offering a guess.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    How important is it for you that sex scenes in movies show characters using condoms?
    I have an opinion on this actually. I like to see it on television shows, especially those marketed to teens. Not that it's artistically necessary, but it's socially responsible.

I don't think about the isssue normally unless the characters are in a situation where there is *no way* they would have a condom, like is they just survived a shipwreck and washed up on the beach or something. Then I think, well, this could end badly. Worrying about the characters ending up with hepatitis tends to take me out of the moment.

By the way, I am less stringent with films because I understand they have a much more limited running time and less time for social issues.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast