Thread: Amazon Studios & MGM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Amazon Studios & MGM

Amazon agrees to buy MGM for $8.45 billion.

Bond to stream on Amazon Prime?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This is like one of those old novels where a rich American industrialist marries an impoverished European aristocrat for their title.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Terrible news as AMZN doesn't give a fuck about movies and MGM has an incredible back catalog.

Also, are the Broccolis shitting their pants now?

PS: Did we really need another brand based megathread? Dunno about anyone else but I'm sick of trying to remember who owns what so I can find what I'm looking for in the forum. (Bitching as I'm in a bitchy mood. No offense to Duke.)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    No we don't. I thought about merging it with the Amazon thread, but didn't know if it would get the attention. I can still do that, but this was big news.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Struck me as odd bc 10 years ago or whenever, before streaming took off, we weren't organizing the forum around specific studios. There was no 20th Century Fox thread or Warner Bros thread.

Streaming is different, I know, and Amazon is an edge case. I don't think it would make sense to merge with the existing thread as that one is almost totally about physical consumer products.

I don't know of a solution so I'll stop complaining now, lol. Thanks for hearing me out.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Terrible news as AMZN doesn't give a fuck about movies and MGM has an incredible back catalog.

Also, are the Broccolis shitting their pants now?

PS: Did we really need another brand based megathread? Dunno about anyone else but I'm sick of trying to remember who owns what so I can find what I'm looking for in the forum. (Bitching as I'm in a bitchy mood. No offense to Duke.)

I came in to ask about the Broccoli's, too.

If they lose hold of Bond, I bet it becomes a "cinematic universe" very quickly afterwards.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Nothing good will come of this, right. Blegh.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    This is like one of those old novels where a rich American industrialist marries an impoverished European aristocrat for their title.
    Sounds accurate. Also I agree with Irish that this is bad news. Also fuck Amazon.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Sounds accurate. Also I agree with Irish that this is bad news. Also fuck Amazon.
    Agreed on all accounts. The future is so fucking boring!
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

I tried Amazon Prime for 3 days. The UI was fucking atrocious for movies/TV and I gave up immediately.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I tried Amazon Prime for 3 days. The UI was fucking atrocious for movies/TV and I gave up immediately.
    For me, it's just a benefit of everything else that comes with Amazon Prime. Although their shipping seems to have really slowed down the last two years or so, and seem to get a lot of damaged or messed up goods lately.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I dunno, I found Prime to be a really good deal - the ability to add another channel for a week or a month for free (after which you cancel) is great - but for movie selection nothing comes close to Criterion for me.