View Poll Results: Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

19 82.61%
  • Nay

4 17.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQ)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQ)

Early buzz on this is massively positive. Can't wait.

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Yey another Mission Impossible flick. I have seen them all.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

lowkey best action movie franchise

edit - don't forget to add a poll. thread tools -> add a poll. in the menu there above the thread.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I suspect they were foolin' in the trailer [
    ].

Either way, looks fantastic.

Legit thought that said "McG" for a second and had a panic attack.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Can't add a poll.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Can't add a poll.
    I'll create another thread with a poll, so you can merge them.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (McQ)

To be merged with the other thread, now with poll intact.

Thanks for fixing. I was trying to figure out how to add it myself or delete and repost and couldn't do any of it.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Producer
    Only the thread creator can edit and add a poll. I forgot with Ant-Man 2 and almost posted for a mod to fix it before I remember a past thread about this before. It's "Thread Tools" in the tab directly above the first post (along with "Search this Thread", "Rate this Thread" etc).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, I'm with the internet boy bandwagon on this; this series is shockingly reliable and entertaining, especially the last two.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Legit thought that said "McG" for a second and had a panic attack.
    Ditto.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I am trying to avoid spoilers on this regarding any crazy stunts that happen. I have already seen the trailer, but thankfully it didn't seem to spoil anything like the last movie did with the plane ride.

Producer
    Still partial to the joyful spirit and Brad Bird's animated mindset to crafting action set-pieces of Ghost Protocol, but this might be the most ambitious entry yet in its attempt to be an encapsulation of the whole franchise, resulting in some surprising emotional heft. The way it addresses recurring characters, still-loose plotlines, previous action visuals, and especially many past thematic threads of what it means to be a spy in this world, and to be Ethan Hunt in particular, makes the film feel so much like a culmination of what this franchise is about that it’s hard to picture what the next installment will look like.

Right from the first situation that foregrounds a moral crisis of sacrificing an innocent life to save many thousands more, the film will return to this question again and again in ways ranging from intensely personal to thrillingly global, paralleling it to the villain’s plans and Hunt’s storied history (with people questioning how Hunt can remain loyal to the institution that has him give up so much and shuns him often). That last aspect really makes this has both the franchise’s most cohesive (best?) story and most emotionally effective adventure, giving the intense action scenes even more gripping weight and exhilaration. There’s a reveal of simple inevitable pragmatism in the third act that nonetheless feels so unexpectedly adult for a summer blockbuster that it breaks my heart bit by bit throughout, until I almost gets teary by the end.

Lest it sounds like I make the film out towards heavy drama, it must be mentioned how that bit of pragmatism is contained within the third act’s climax of three spectacularly intense parallel action threads, including a thrilling use of IMAX to rival the Burj Khalifa climb. Generally I may still prefer Ghost Protocol’s action scenes, but the sheer tactile intensity of this one’s set-pieces, and of how relentlessly they pile up, really make them pretty equal. The first two big set-pieces alone, a breathtaking one-shot illusion of HALO jump and a deliciously wince-inducing bathroom brawl, could be the highlights/climaxes of other action films, and that's just the film getting started.

And being a culmination of sort also means some light self-awareness of its own legacy creeps in among the dark high stakes, from one character sneering at IMF’s use of face masks (“People really fall for this shit?”), to the way both good guys and villains alike get incredulous at how the impossible situations just keep piling on and at how Ethan Hunt just won’t stop accepting the challenge of overcoming them, to the film’s seemingly deliberate withholding of signature Hunt/Cruise run. That run is released on almost hilariously full blast later on, in a way that feels both thrilling within context (with a mournful sense at its end) and somehow knowingly affectionate. 8.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yup! Totally with you, Peng.

It's fuckin' good.

Just pure, seasoned thrill machine at its best with a reinvigorated exhilaration of in owning everything that's made it what it is to this point.

Just the simple fact that this movie is the first in the franchise to have a returning director / screenwriter (also McQuarrie is the first to be credited for both on his own here), villain, and even a prominent female character, all really makes it feel like such a true sequel and culmination that raises stakes and builds tension instead of doing the usual semi-clean slate of everyone who isn't Cruise, Rhames and Pegg.

They just need to do a 7th one as soon as possible, even if it sends Cruise to Mars for real, he films those scenes last, they're beamed back to Earth, and we never see him ever again. By the time the next one is released, he will have been playing this character for nearly a quarter century, so it's no wonder at this point he knows exactly how to steer these movies in the perfect direction.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Yeah, this is very good. Wide use of action from tightly spaced fight scenes (where you can actually see what's happening), motorcycle chases, car chases, helicopter chases even... And all cleverly done.

The cat and mouse story is kind of eye-roll worthy but it's earnest enough in the performances that I enjoy it a lot.

I've become incredibly annoyed by the Fast and Furious saga, but I can get down with this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Rewatched Ghost Protocol (66), Rogue Nation (63), and then this (65), and this has become one consistent series, both in terms of quality and tone. While I don't love any of the films, they are sturdy, well-made entertainment machines. You could take these last three films and lift out big chunks of them and piece them together into the best action film ever made, but Ghost Protocol just shades it on the strength of the first two acts and the final scene, which finally gives Hunt some personality, it's just a shame about the third act, which is kind of a snooze. Rogue Nation is a little more shaggy and has no great big standout set piece, but it does well to introduce Ilsa, which wisely takes some of the narrative emphasis off Hunt at least for a little while.

Fallout has the best third act of the three, but it has the most needlessly convoluted plot, and the ultimate bad guy is kind of wasted in the end. Biggest problem of all is Robert Elswit is missing - I would argue that he was close to the MVP of GP and RN - his lensing is awesome. Fallout is a lot muddier and less impressive in that regard. Still, it is a perpetual motion machine with great action scenes and just pure classical filmmaking from top to bottom.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Cool poster

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I am furious no one told me Wes Bentley was in this. H O W does this guy keeping getting work?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I am furious no one told me Wes Bentley was in this. H O W does this guy keeping getting work?
    Dude is terrible in this in a comical way. Alec Baldwin is also equally terrible in that it almost seems he's doing a SNL version of Mission: impossible. But everyone else works, especially Cavill

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Mild nay. This is much too derivative of other spy films in and outside of this series. I can't care too much about Hunt anymore because his purpose is less about examining the character (like one scene would ask us to) and merely boils down to "well he's nuts and he runs." The threats never feel like threats, and Henry Cavill was just straight up fucking terrible. I did like the helicopter sequence but its spliced against other scenes that don't feel like there are any stakes. Its too bad Ving Rhames as Luther never just looked at the camera and declared "i'm too old for this shit" because frankly I am.

This could've been an action masterpiece if the character work and performances weren't such clear afterthoughts. The stunt work and practical effects are unbelievable, arguably the best that's ever been done for a big American film. The story is just engaging enough to get by, but the emotional beats don't land as strongly as they should. I haven't seen Henry Cavill in much, except for what I always assumed was an intentionally wooden portrayal of Superman, but I think it's finally dawned on me that the guy can't act (great presence, can't sell a line at all). The disconnect between Cruise and the audience is also growing larger. He used to be so good at drawing empathy. In the stuff I've seen him in more recently, there just seems to be something soullessly robotic about his performances.

Still, the action sequences deserve all superlatives. Stronger story elements and performances could've made this an all-timer.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

This continues to be an exceedingly well done and tense series of movies, especially the last three, which have hit a real groove. I don't think this film has the colorful iconic moments to match the Burj Khalifa and underwater heist sequences, although the climax comes close with its preposterous game of helicopter tag. I also dug the INDIANA JONES seat of their pants attitude and what looked like an allusion to THE THIRD MAN with Ethan and Ilsa evaluating each other between two rows of trees. (They're just touches, but they're knowing touches.) A little long, and I found the score Zimmering of the dullest kind (though never enough to truly distract), but that's about all I got for a film that had me giggling at its self-topping confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets do this!

6: M:I-2
    5: M:I-Ghost Prote
    4: M:I-3
    3: M:I
    2: M:I-Rogue Naysh
    1: M:I-FALLOUT

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Lets do this!

6: M:I-2
    5: M:I-Ghost Prote
    4: M:I-3
    3: M:I
    2: M:I-Rogue Naysh
    1: M:I-FALLOUT
    1. GHOST PROTES
    2. TEH ORIGINAL
    3. ROUGE NATION
    4. FALLEN