Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Tales from the Tent

Not gonna lie, tempting to deliver a bunch of white castle just to fuck with you.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Not gonna lie, tempting to deliver a bunch of white castle just to fuck with you.
    Hahaha. Dude, it’s been cold and rainy all morning, and the nearest White Castle is 100 miles away.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Was on primary stand for a little over an hour while Dave went back to camp to get some grub and take care of necessary bodily functions. Total different mind set out there and the hour flew past. Saw a couple bucks, and a doe with a dawn.

Now I’m back on fuck off stand gnawing on a hunk of biltong.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    ... and take care of necessary bodily functions..
    He jerked off.

[
    ]

Well, the bear disappeared for five days, then showed back up on camera after we left. Sounds like Dave had the side windows up on the stand instead of just the front port. Headed up this weekend to try and take care of business myself. If I can somehow manage to take a bear and make it back for Crypticon this weekend, it’ll be damn near a miracle.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    He jerked off.

[
    ]
    Hah! No my mind is not in the gutter like yah all. He clearly meant pooping. Lots and lots of pooping.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I don’t recall ever being this focused for a hunt. Daddy wants to try his hand at bear hams, bear bacon, and make that glorious chili again.

Cinnamon black bear shot at 1505. Skinned, butchered and in the freezer by 1830. Icing my back with a beer while the folks take the hide to a taxidermist. Mom didn’t want a bear skin rug until she saw it was a cinnamon bear. Pictures eventually.

60 yard shot, dropped in its tracks. Dead before it hit the ground.

I saw the pics on Facebook. Nice.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I saw the pics on Facebook. Nice.

Oh, I got plenty more….

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Congrats Scar. I know he was your white whale.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Congrats Scar. I know he was your white whale.
    He was getting there….

Oh, I got plenty more….
    I also saw those just now. Good sized bear you bagged on that trip.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Sept 10: Arrived up north just after noon, changed quick, loaded up and went on stand until sun down at 7:30PM.

Sept 11: Got on stand at 6AM, started seeing the occasional deer roaming around. Observed two young bucks, one a fork, one a spike, lingering around. There were some crows and ravens that showed up late morning, liked to hop around out in the tree line. Kept seeing flashes of black, so that get's the adrenaline going a bit. 3PM: All the crows and ravens started making one helluva racket, then headed south. I figured if a bear was showing up, that sure was a good sign. Safety off, rifle at the ready. Thirty seconds later, out pops the bear we've had on camera over and over again. A few seconds later, he clears the brush, and I had a clean neck shot at 60 yards. Sent a 430 grain hard cast lead bullet with 3800 foot pounds of muzzle energy slamming into him, dropped him in its tracks. Gutted it out, dragged it up to the trail, and Pops came with the tractor and we got it loaded in.

Pictures are spoilered:
    [
    ]

Shot at 3:05PM, skinned, butchered, and in the freezer by 6:30PM.

Weighed in at over 200 pounds dressed (guts removed).

Nice work scar, and congrats. Pro move to note the bird behavior.

Congrats Scar! Loved reading the story of the hunt and kill.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I left out the part where I was getting fried and started mentally singing “I’m tired and I want to go to bed. I had a little drink about an hour ago and it’s gone right to my head” over and over off and on since 2PM.

Do bears stink?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Do bears stink?
    Didn’t notice any particular smell.

Did you at any point say that you did it with your "bear hands"?

Did you at any point say that you did it with your "bear hands"?
    …..
    …..
    No.

Now I’m reminded of the scene in The Ghost and The Darkness:

Mahina: You know, I also have killed a lion.
    Angus Starling: How many shots did you need?
    Mahina: I used my hands.

Do you mind if I pass on your pics and story to a couple of local buddies who hunt?

They've been trying to get a bear for several years now, never been successful.

Do you mind if I pass on your pics and story to a couple of local buddies who hunt?

They've been trying to get a bear for several years now, never been successful.
    They’d probably be more interested in the years of having trail cameras set up, baiting with molasses mixed with corn, then using fruit snacks and what not. Legal to bait bear in Minnesota. Is it legal there?

Note: We never planned on hunting black bear on our property until they repeatedly showed up on trail camera, so we began putting in for bear tags a few years ago. Our zone requires you to accumulate preference points which increase your chance of getting a tag. Other parts of the state you can just by a license over the counter.

They’d probably be more interested in the years of having trail cameras set up, baiting with molasses mixed with corn, then using fruit snacks and what not. Legal to bait bear in Minnesota. Is it legal there?
    You can bait but there are rules to it, such as not being allowed to place bait within 500m of homes or buildings, 30m from a walking trail or roads, etc.

You're also not supposed to hunt cubs ever, and females cannot be hunted during the spring.

You're also not allowed to shoot a bear that is in or near its den, so I imagine you shouldn't be placing bait in that area either.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast