Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales from the Tent

I think bac0n’s youngest may now be even more active in the kitchen, especially if I’m cooking. ;-)
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I think bac0n’s youngest may now be even more active in the kitchen, especially if I’m cooking. ;-)
    WHOA, serious shots fired into another man's kitchen.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    WHOA, serious shots fired into another man's kitchen.
    Nah, more so that she keeps an eye on what ‘ol Scar is cooking up.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I’ll be headed to a Grand Rapids in a week and a day for deer hunting.

Not that I’m counting or anything.

I'll be expecting an hourly countdown leading up to your hunting trip.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I always enjoy hearing about your adventures, Scar.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Don’t expect any trophy tales from deer hunting. If I see horns, I’m dropping it. I’ve put a whopping six hours or so on my deer stand the last three seasons. Been very fortunate.

Years ago we hunted outside Orr, MN, and you could go days without seeing a buck, or a deer in general. Because of that, and the fact that we enjoy eating venison, I will shoot the first legal buck I see when I’m hunting.

Sounds smart to me.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It’ll get up to the mid thirties on Saturday. Sunday is going to start at eight degrees. Man, I hope my hot streak continues and I get a buck on Saturday.

I’ll be in the woods. Laterz.

Good luck! My BiL's dad got the biggest buck of his life last night. Its a beaut.

Ed got a decent buck around 3:30. Gutted it and dragged it out for him and was back on stand by 4. Ed’s 83 and missed deer camp last year due to quad bypass. Him getting a deer made my day.

Sunday was cold. Monday was ridiculously cold. Spending eleven hours on stand in single digits has got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done.

I still have some numbness in my toes. I used multiple layers of heavy duty base layers, alpine socks + alpaca socks + Sorel Glacier boots.

Anyways, the gun is a Ruger #1 single shot 30-06. 30-06 is THE cartridge to get if you only want to get one rifle to hunt North America. The amount of different bullets and loads you can get for it is staggering. When hunting deer, I use HSM Trophy Gold 168 grain bullets. Why? Long answer: It is ridiculously effective at 300+ yards, does not start expanding until after two to three inches of penetration, and produces a 13-15" wound cavity.

Short answer? My Ruger #1 clover leafs at 100 yards with it. IE, when I shoot three rounds at 100 yards, all three holes are touching on the target. Different guns handle different bullets better. My Ruger #1 loves the VLD's. With that said, I do keep a 200 grain Alaskan Trophy Bonded cartridge in my rifle when I walk to and from my stands on the outside chance I run into a pissed off bear. Maximum penetration and what not in case I need to shoot a bear in the face. I also keep hard cast heavy lead bullet hot loads (extra powder) in my 1911 pistol for the same reason.

The true weapon of a damn dirty camper.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    The true weapon of a damn dirty camper.

Pffft, I’ve got something else in the gun vault for ‘camping’.

I'm disappointed to see you are not planning to use your lasso and knife to yield a perfect carcass.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I'm disappointed to see you are not planning to use your lasso and knife to yield a perfect carcass.
    Just like in RDR2, I head shoot for my perfect carcasses. ;-)

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Pffft, I’ve got something else in the gun vault for ‘camping’.
    Yeeeeah, but that takes very specific ammo. The 30-06 is your post-apocalyptic survival sniper.

Should have the rug in a few weeks.

I just realized I didn't post any bear rug pictures....

Mom wanted a picture of me with the rug for her yearly photo albums. I told her I would not do it Burt Reynolds style, got a good laugh out of my mom over that.

I call it "A night on the town with someone who can't hold their liquor".

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That would be HILARIOUS if you did do it Burt Reynolds style
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That would be HILARIOUS if you did do it Burt Reynolds style
    My mom is a 75 year old retired first grade teacher.

But get enough drinks in me and I just might do it one of these days.

Awesome

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

You're freakin nuts

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast