Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales from the Tent

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    speaking of which - anyone have any camping meal recipes they wanna share? I'm looking to mix things up a little.
    Steak and potatoes on a flat top grill. :-)
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

And a Growler or three of beer, not that pisswater I was drinking in the above picture from a couple years back.

oooh, now you're talking
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    oooh, now you're talking
    KABAR and side arm not recommended at family camp sites.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That's not a knife...
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Received my new external frame pack today. Main purpose is for hopefully hiking out a quartered elk this October.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Received my new external frame pack today. Main purpose is for hopefully hiking out a quartered elk this October.
    Where are you hunting for elk? My buddy in Maine was telling me how everyone in the state enters a lottery for big game tags.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Where are you hunting for elk? My buddy in Maine was telling me how everyone in the state enters a lottery for big game tags.
    Idaho

Getting anxious for elk hunting. Headed out next Friday. Going to get my ass kicked. One guy is former special forces, and the other a wilderness fire fighter. They’re going to hike my ass into the ground.

Getting anxious for elk hunting. Headed out next Friday. Going to get my ass kicked. One guy is former special forces, and the other a wilderness fire fighter. They’re going to hike my ass into the ground.
    There is only one solution to this issue: sabotage.

There is only one solution to this issue: sabotage.
    Ha, no. They're my best friends, (no offense to bac0n).

Heh, nice.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Spent more money than I care to admit on a Padagonia Vest, and a North Face jacket, both packable. Considering the miles we're going to put on hiking in the hills / mountains, my knees will thank me. I had planned on carrying a heavy wool quarter zip, but the amount of space that takes up in the pack was a bit too much.

I don't plan on firing a single shot out there. One of the guys (bac0n can guess), is routinely hitting bulleyes at 600 yards. My load out will be for bear deterrence / defense.

Finger's crossed we'll be one step closer to the Ultimate Game Burger, and smoked Elk backstraps (NY Strips).

I agree with your plan. Defend the group. They can't hump all that meat out on their own. Rewards will be shared.

And a big ol' drooooool to that burger and backstraps.

Yeah, ya made the right choice, Scar. When hiking, less is definitely more, and the more padding you have on your feet, the happier you will be.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

*coming soon*

Top 100

Picked up FSFB’s pack. Good Lord, am I glad I spent money on lightweight gear. He’s using his old military gear. Plus, his rifle weighs 17 pounds. Driving through Montana right now. Guessing we’ll get to base camp in Swan Valley, Idaho around 1500 Mountain time.

I want a live stream.

I want a live stream.

Ha. I’d get a nasty gram from work for the amount of data I used.

Pics at least.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Full update in a day or two. Great trip, no elk, and never thought I’d be climbing mountains. Not huge peaks mind you, but definitely went up to 8k a few times. I’m going to be sore for awhile.

After getting back from elk hunting, it was a scramble to get the month done since one of our reps quit. Then it was off to deer camp. Spent a whopping hour and a half, if that, on stand, ( I had planned on hunting Saturday through Tuesday). Dropped a large body four pointer, running broadside. First deer in years I hadn’t shot in the head. Today I’ll cut process that and help process FSFB’s deer as well.

Hips, knees, and ankles are still grumpy, but here is my belated post in regards to elk hunting:

Took us about 18 hours to drive from Minnesota to Sun Valley, Idaho. Set up Camp #1 on Saturday night:

That there is a rather expensive teepee. No floor, which makes it great for dogs, which we didn't have with. Also, there's a collapsible, portable, titanium wood stove in there. Collapses down into an 8" x 11" or so pouch, and is only a few inches thick in the pouch.

We spent the first night cooking up burgers, having a few beers, and checking our gear. Cow season didn't open until Monday, so we figured we'd scout Sunday. And scout we did. I knew I was going to get my ass kicked when we started out the next morning and FSFB took off up the mountain like he was going Taliban sniping. We'd get to the top of a peak or ridge, and hang out for awhile with binoculars looking for elk:

Then in was on to the next one:

And the next one....

First day of hunting was spent along the ridge lines of the mountain we camped on. In the morning, FSFB headed out to snipe along the timber. We showed up fifteen minutes behind, because, goddamnit, we needed our coffee. We're not savages up here, we still can have our morning French Press:

After we caught up with him, he reported that he heard an elk bleat down in the trees, then he heard horses coming in to investigate. After a few minutes, we used an elk bleat call, and FSFB said: "It sounded just like that!" Jason and I looked at each other with a knowing look.

About twenty minutes later, here comes three riders on horseback over the mountain. Best guess, the elk FSFB hear was their call, and then when they heard us, they looped up and around the mountain to investigate. A little while later, we checked out another ridge line, no dice. We decided to head down the mountain, and go further into the mountains by vehicle. As we headed down, FSFB spotted something moving in the timber, so we stalked an elk or mule deer to the stream, but did not see it.

Looking back up as we decended:

Hiking out on an ATV trail was a welcome relief. This was about the time that we realized that I wasn't carrying my external frame correctly. I didn't have it snug on my hips, and was carrying the brunt of the weight on my shoulders. Yeah, makes a helluva different.

We drove up into a different set of mountains that afternoon, and set up camp at around 7500' in some nice timber:

Tuesday it was more of the same, hiking up mountains and scoping:

As we were hiking along a ridge line, we spotted something on the next peak exiting the tree line (1000 yards away). We got excited for a few seconds, then realized it was a bull moose. Oh well.

Then it started raining.... And raining.... We slow hiked back to camp, FSFB on a ridge line, and Jason and I working the timber. In the timber we came across elk poop that was so fresh you could warm your hands on it. We stalked it for a couple hours, but no luck. In hind sight, it was probably a bull, since the cow's tend to stay in herds. Kind of glad we didn't see it, because who knows how our conscious would've responded.

After a warm lunch, we decided we'd spend the afternoon in the rain on a ridge line over a bunch of timber. After a couple hours, Jason said he was bored, and then said some good words of wisdom: "If I was an elk, I sure as fuck wouldn't be out in this shit". So, we left FSFB on his ridge line since he lives for this shit, and went down into the timber. Here we sloooow stalked, and found more elk shit than you could imagine. It was all a couple days old, so we know they'd been there. Unlike Minnesota white tail, elk aren't territorial. They just keep moving, and moving, and moving, and moving..... So, we moved slow through the timber amongst the elk shit, wolf sign, cougar sign, and bear shit. Got back to camp, and fired up the stove and started making chili. Once the fire got going, my pants were literally steaming:

https://www.facebook.com/Scar55434/v...103076703/?t=7

The mud out there in the rain was ridiculous. You'd have to kick your feet every ten feet or so to get the sod clomps off your boots. Looked like small snow shoes.

After dinner, we'd have a beer, chat for a bit, then pass the fuck out:

The next day, we hiked up another mountain, and hunted along several ridge lines:

Our last night up there, we thought we'd tie one on. That's right, TWO beers each, instead of one:

Here's the camp Chef (me), hard at work preparing dinner:

We broke camp, and then headed down the mountain. Here's the view near the diner we stopped at:

All in all, it was a great trip, even though we did not get an elk. Great times with great friends. At times, I felt like I slowed them down, but they reminded me that very few people do what we just did. One of the guys was a mountain wilderness fire fighter, and also ran the fire fighting on the south rim of the Grand Canyon at one time, and the other is Former Special Forces. I went every where they went, and they were impressed.

Now I'm going to probably drop 2 grand on a treadmill that goes up to a 40% incline......

EDIT #1: With all the rain we got, we all stayed nice and dry in the teepee. I forgot to take a picture after we broke camp to show the nice dry circle surrounded by wet land.
    Last edited by Scar; 11-07-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast