Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales from the Tent

Thoughts:
    -Bummer you didn't get one.
    -Thats a lot of gear to be humping around!
    -Hiking in mud like that is BRUTAL.
    -Like I've said before, I'm not a hunter myself, but have been on hunts and enjoy the spoils of friends. I've been on terrain like that (obviously not that intense hiking, but I've seen it), and it scares me. Wide open mixed with patches of extremely tight trees and brush. Makes me feel like every bit small patch of pines has a bear in it and theres no where to run for cover or protection. Elk can be super dangerous in those close situations too.

Skitch-

I had similar thoughts in the timber, wondering how close we could get to surprising a bear, which is why I carried bear spray on my hip, and my 357 with hard cast hot loads on my chest.

The only slightly hairy part, besides my heart rate, was when we came through a clearing, had a young moo cow to our right, and it’s mother on our left, and she wasn’t happy. Had the safety off the bear spray....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yep, thats my nightmare fuel. I would absolutely have to be that loaded to feel semi-secure...also, I'm more a blade person, so I would've needed a Rambo/Billy-from-Predator knife on my person too. I full know well how ridiculous it is, but would still make me feel better .

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Yep, thats my nightmare fuel. I would absolutely have to be that loaded to feel semi-secure...also, I'm more a blade person, so I would've needed a Rambo/Billy-from-Predator knife on my person too. I full know well how ridiculous it is, but would still make me feel better .

There may be a SOG Seal Pup strapped on the shoulder of my pack as well....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Ohhhh yeah...thats excellent.

Fast forward to deer camp:

Leading up to deer camp '18, my Dad sent out an email saying that John (my younger brother), and his son Jay (4th grade) would be sitting in Ed's stand since Ed wouldn't be hunting with my dad for the first time in 40+ years, (recovering from bypass). Anyways, he says that they can move up to my stand when I'm done since I've spent a whopping 5 hours on stand the past two years. My initial thought: Wow, thanks Dad, way to jinx my ass. I'm not going to see shit all week.

Anyways, I get my gear set for 4.5 days of stand hunting. The warmest gear I've got, multiple sets of mountaineering grade socks, the heaviest long underwear I own, etc, etc. Opener was Saturday, I walked out to my stand (0.5 mile walk from the cabin), and get situated. When you walk out with heavy cold gear on, you don't zip everything up, otherwise you'd sweat your ass off on the way to your stand, and the last thing you want to be is soaked in sweat when its cold out. Legal shooting was at 0700 (half an hour before sunrise). The deer were moving. All I could see was multiple dark blobs moving around. And the woods were LOUD, you could here them 100+ yards out. When I could finally see, I had multiple does, and one very ugly spike in thick brush. They moved towards my younger brothers stand.

0755, I hear a shot from FSFB's stand. He dropped a spike buck with a quartering away shot (I can explain in more detail if needed). I text John to let him know. Ten minutes later he texts me back that they just saw a group of three does go by and that Jay was excited. I heard something moving in from my 2 o'clock. Eventually, a doe comes out. Thinking it was safe to send a quick text, I start reaching for my phone. Just then I hear a commotion behind the doe. I raise my rifle (fortunately dialed down to 2.5x magnification), flip the safety off, and I pick up a large bodied deer moving fast towards the doe. As it clears the brush, I see its horns, realize a head shot sure as hell isn't happening this year, and squeeze off a shot right behind its shoulder. It bounds twice, and folds up 10 yards later, literally a second after the shot.

Meanwhile, a few seconds before my shot, Jay looks at his Dad, "Has he texted back?" BOOOOOOOOOOOM! John: "There's your answer".

The picture in the spoiler isn't extremely gory, but it's not for the squeamish...

[]

So, after gutting it with Jay, we dragged it to the trail and I went back and grabbed the tractor. Picked up FSFB's deer, then mine, cracked a couple beers and skinned them out.

Sous Vide the tenderloins Monday.

Funny story... Many years ago, my ex-wife gave me a blaze orange Beer Delivery hoodie. I said it would be great for deer hunting. She lost her shit and screamed at me that I would never wear it deer hunting....

Nice post and pics Scar. I enjoy dayhiking a lot, but never got into camping for some reason. I think lack of sleep kills me the most after a second/third day. What kind of bag did you have to haul a few days worth of stuff? How long does it take to unpack/repack? I think that might be another annoying factor for me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I said it would be great for deer hunting. She lost her shit and screamed at me
    You monster. Clearly that jacket is meant for social gatherings and weddings.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Nice post and pics Scar. I enjoy dayhiking a lot, but never got into camping for some reason. I think lack of sleep kills me the most after a second/third day. What kind of bag did you have to haul a few days worth of stuff? How long does it take to unpack/repack? I think that might be another annoying factor for me.
    This is the one I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can spend alot more money on a pack, but this one held up well, and it has been used on firelines before, so I figured it was a good investment. It takes maybe 30 minutes to completely break camp and pack it up. When we were at a spot where the trucks were, I had a beast of a ground pad, and when we hiked it in, I used an ultralight ground pad, which kept me insulated on the ground.

I had a 22 degree bag + a liner, and I still went to bed in my heavy duty underwear and a hat. The other two had a 15 degree bag, but their ground pad wasn't insulated, so they wore even more to bed. I think the coldest it got was in the high twenties at night.

Took Bac0n to South Dakota this year. He survived, his phone did not...

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Pics?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Pics?
    I’ve got a couple, Bac0n was taking pictures like a mad man.

One of the many views:

One of the other guys took some advice from someone who flooded out their wheeler the previous day. Fortunately, he didn't flood his out as well with trying to cross at a really dumb spot:

Stayed at a cabin a few nights, but the last night 'ol Overkill came out:

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Man I don't even camp that often but I want that tent badly.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Man I don't even camp that often but I want that tent badly.
    Unless you plan on wanting to use it in the winter / mountains, I would just look for a good 3 season tent that is rated well for winds. The MSR Wind 2 has been discontinued for probably a decade, and I spent close to 500 on it over a decade ago, (thank you travel pay).

The trip to SD was so awesome. Those pictures really don't do it justice - the valley is much deeper and more expansive than the pictures show. Some of the most beautiful country I've ever been in.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

That tent is so metal.

Great pics. Also a reminder that at some point I need to go camping again.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Uncle Scar is going bear hunting today.

Black bear, I'm guessing? Cool.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Black bear, I'm guessing? Cool.
    Yep. Saw a ridiculous amount of deer, but no bear yesterday.

- - - - -
    Silly question, I guess, but when you're out for bear do you ignore the deer? Or is it like, well, shit, as long as I'm here .. bang bang ... venison for dinner tonight?

Different tags required. Because freedom.

Also, deer season doesn’t start for at least another month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Silly question, I guess, but when you're out for bear do you ignore the deer? Or is it like, well, shit, as long as I'm here .. bang bang ... venison for dinner tonight?
    Archery season starts on the fifteenth of September, rifle on November 9th.

If it had been deer season I would have been off my stand in five minutes. I’ll post an update tomorrow when I get home, but long story short, Scarette is getting a bear skin rug.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast