Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales from the Tent

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Yep. Saw a ridiculous amount of deer, but no bear yesterday.
    Sweet.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Archery season starts on the fifteenth of September, rifle on November 9th.

If it had been deer season I would have been off my stand in five minutes. I’ll post an update tomorrow when I get home, but long story short, Scarette is getting a bear skin rug.
    I love deer season. Not because I hunt, but because I get to enjoy the spoils. Those backstraps, drooooool. My BiL was king salmon fishing this weekend so we damn well better have a get together soon.

Bear Camp 2019. The following post contains descriptions and pictures of hunting and harvest a black bear. Do not open the spoiler text if they may offend you.

[
    ]
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Nice pics, Scar. I've seen deer skinned before, but never a bear. Looked like a pretty good sized one you shot, too.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm a city guy at heart, but I wish I had the skills to be an outdoors man like Scar.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Enjoy fishing. Never gone hunting though, and I don't know if I could go through with it at this point. I even feel bad for the fish in a way and those have zero personality.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I've gone hunting. I get it. Its just not really my bag. Too much waiting around lol. Also for the last almost 20 years I've had the same job, pretty much walking through the woods and field and nature all day, so when I get off the last thing I want to do is be out there fighting mosquitoes.

My BiL got a bear a year or two ago. I'd say you're both nuts. The last thing I'm going to risk is death by shark or bear. I saw that Revenant picture (and that better one The Edge), I'm gooooood. Thanks for taking down another of the bastards that give me nightmares!

I wonder how the meat tastes though. Tougher than deer?

I hear it’s tougher than venison. Saved the back straps and tenderloins, a pound or two for chili, and I’ll be getting 50 pounds of garlic summer sausage, and jalapeño cheddar summer sausage. Splurged a little since during deer season we’ll stock up on ground venison.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I've never eaten bear. Deer and bison, yes.

Also I like hunting and the great outdoors, but I suck at it heh. I have only shot pheasant and quail, and I have never bagged a deer. I usually work weekends so the odds of getting out again are slim. I do enjoy fishing but I think the last time I did any I was still in college. Same goes for camping.

The best thing about it all is being out there on a nice, gorgeous day with no distractions while enjoying it with either family and friends or both. That's what I always liked about getting out of town for a while and being in the middle of nowhere for a weekend.
    Last edited by MadMan; 09-04-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

And Skitch, these are black bear. You have to fuck up really really bad to worry about a Revenant situation.

With that said, when it comes to bear attacks, play dead for a Grizzly, and fight for your life with a black bear. The only time a black bear will attack (outside of a poorly placed shot), is if it perceives you as food. 99 times out of a hundred, it’s running in the opposite direction, probably before you see it.

Of course, all bets are off if you stumble between a mamma and her babies.

Damn near had to pepper spray a cow in Idaho last year for that very reason.

And I can attest to Scar's insight on black bears from what my encounter over the weekend. They just like to eat trash and do their own thing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I hear it’s tougher than venison. Saved the back straps and tenderloins, a pound or two for chili, and I’ll be getting 50 pounds of garlic summer sausage, and jalapeño cheddar summer sausage. Splurged a little since during deer season we’ll stock up on ground venison.
    Damn does that sound like good eats.

I dont care what kind of bear it is. I turn into Cypher. "Not like this.....not like this...."

More nightmare fuel for you Skitch:

https://www.fox9.com/news/minnesota-...anadian-border

Dude they've started creeping into Ohio because of climate change. Seriously uncool.

Let's talk knives.

Looking back, I've bought a lot of knives. Right now, if I could only own one, it would be the Benchmade 162.

This thing is a tank. The blade is thick, sharp, and made out of S30V steel. A bitch to sharpen, but rarely needs to be sharpened. And, besides, you can send it in to Benchmade once per year to have it sharpened. All it costs is shipping. The sheath is kind of 'meh', so I have a custom leather sheath showing up for scout carry, (horizontal, small of the back). Its not your standard EDC (every day carry), but if you're in the woods every day, then yes, it would be my EDC. It feather sticks, splits, and chops.

If you're looking for a Zombie Apocalypse Skull Cleaver, I'm sure we can find you something else. But if you want an all around knife that will help you do many tasks out in the woods, this is your beast.

I have other knives / axes that will do better at specific tasks, but I don't have a hatchet that I'd skin or gut an animal with, or another knife that I'd chop a small tree down with.

Lately, I’d been looking for a high end ‘tactical’ / combat knife. I’m not researching as much any more once I found out a lot of SEAL’s carry the above knife.

- - - - -
    so I have a custom leather sheath showing up for scout carry
    Yeah I would def end up stabbing myself in the ass with something like that, and probably multiple times on different occasions before I realized it wasn't a good fit for me

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yeah I would def end up stabbing myself in the ass with something like that, and probably multiple times on different occasions before I realized it wasn't a good fit for me
    Hahahahaha. Muscle memory, muscle memory. Aka, practice, practice, practice.

Or just have a standard belt sheath, maybe kydex. Not so funny story- my sister in laws ex husband had a fixed blade large buck knife, acting like he knew what he was doing. Pulled it out of the sheath, then thought he put it back in and let go. Well, stoner Mc Dipshit completely missed the sheath, and one of the dogs was right under him. How I didn’t slice the shit out of my hand catching the knife is beyond me.

- - - - -
    ]Not so funny story- my sister in laws ex husband had a fixed blade large buck knife, acting like he knew what he was doing. Pulled it out of the sheath, then thought he put it back in and let go. Well, stoner Mc Dipshit completely missed the sheath, and one of the dogs was right under him. How I didn’t slice the shit out of my hand catching the knife is beyond me.
    Jesus Christ this was Hitchcock level suspense-and-relief in like 4 sentences.

(very glad the dog wasn't hurt, not to mention your hand!)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Jesus Christ this was Hitchcock level suspense-and-relief in like 4 sentences.

(very glad the dog wasn't hurt, not to mention your hand!)
    I stared at the asshole for ten seconds, then gave him his knife back, and told him to put that shit in his car before I lose my temper.

Made bear chili this weekend. Turned out pretty good. And as of today, my freezer has sixty seven pounds of bear sausage. That better last quite some time. Next time I’ll probably save the majority of the meat for cooking.

Deer rifle season is a month away. Anxious to get back in my stand.

I put some of that same chili in the girls' thermoses for their school lunches yesterday. Asked them at dinner how they liked it. They both thought it was great. Then I told them what was in it.

You never saw an eleven year old's eyes pop so far out of her head.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    Your kid realized that she might have inadvertently eaten Yogi or Fozzie.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I put some of that same chili in the girls' thermoses for their school lunches yesterday. Asked them at dinner how they liked it. They both thought it was great. Then I told them what was in it.

You never saw an eleven year old's eyes pop so far out of her head.

Hahahaha. If you show them the pictures, you may turn them vegetarian.

Hahahaha. If you show them the pictures, you may turn them vegetarian.
    More meat for you!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast