Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales from the Tent

Interesting. Hunting deer seems to be so different outside of Ohio. Here, we don't have giant expanses of wilderness. If someone clips a deer wrong, its in someones back yard in an hour. I am intrigued by hunting shows that have guys wandering desolate wilderness for tens of miles to even see a target. Hardcore.

Papa Scar is now abridged of the situation after he got off stand. He ain’t happy. Imagine a 77 year old Scar who has died once and just don’t give a fuck.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

.....Anyways. Want to know how crazy the market is for guns right now? Someone might be offering me 4500 for my slightly tricked out AR-15 and nine thirty rounds mags.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

WHAT?? What do you have in it...maybeeeee...less than 2k?

Sidenote, still have a little cashish burning in my pocket from my bonus, and its hung around longer than usual since nobody is really doing things...so may wander down to the local gun shop here soon. Have been hankering for a new pistol for several years...mayyyyybe...
    Last edited by Skitch; 01-07-2021 at 09:07 PM.

I’m guessing 1700. Definitely under 2k. It’s not a grantee yet. He must want it IMMEDIATELY, and not want to wait a couple weeks for an online order. Fine by me. I had no plans to sell it, and will only sell for a ridiculous amount.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I’m guessing 1700. Definitely under 2k. It’s not a grantee yet. He must want it IMMEDIATELY, and not want to wait a couple weeks for an online order. Fine by me. I had no plans to sell it, and will only sell for a ridiculous amount.
    I figured about as much, but didn't know what was tricked out. You can't pass that up, thats too good. Unless hes unstable and about to go nutso.

My only ‘issue’ is I’ve got a suppressor showing up sometime this year, but I can attach that to anything 30 caliber and below. Hell, i could order a Rock River Arms ‘Noisy Cricket’ right now for 1100. It’s a LAR-15 10.5” “pistol”.

These loopholes are ridiculous.

If he was unstable, he’d already have done something with the law enforcement weapons at his disposal.

Sounds like he found a home built Frankenstein AR for 1500. As one of my best friends said: “ I wouldn’t put my life in the hands of a bunch of stacked Legos.”

Sounds like he found a home built Frankenstein AR for 1500. As one of my best friends said: “ I wouldn’t put my life in the hands of a bunch of stacked Legos.”
    That does not sound like a discerning customer. That man has too much money.

Definition of adrenaline dump:

Meat Hunter, Season 7, Episode 15, on Netflix.

Since I’ll be headed to Idaho again in October, I’ve began ordering more gear. The majority of my real good stuff is for stand hunting in cold weather. That’s not the best stuff to wear when you’re hiking and glassing all day. So I’ve ordered a bunch of mid weight items, as well as upgrading my binoculars (once they’re back in stock).

Picked up some Fjallraven pants for hiking through brush and rough terrain. I’ll post more later, this is just kind of a reminder.

Since I’ll be headed to Idaho again in October
    Wait, WHAT?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Wait, WHAT?
    Just bought tags for mule deer hunting.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Idaho sure is pretty although I've never gone hunting there.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Last time I was in Idaho, I probably lost 10 pounds of water weight. I was planning on cold weather and not used to stalk hunting, let along going up and down a few mountains. The weather ended up being unseasonably warm, and my base layers were more suited for cold weather. So, I was able to buy some midweight, good wicking stuff from FirstLite, and fortunately I had a pro deal at my disposal to save 30%.

First thing I bought resembles a wind breaker. Light weight, but extremely durable. Protects the base layers, but doesn't weigh you down and doesn't add much, if any insualtion. One thing I've learned is that base layers can be delicate, and they're not cheap, (hell, none of this stuff is cheap). I brought one midweight base layer to South Dakota in '19 not expecting to use it. South Dakota was a touch chilly, so I relied on it, but didn't have anything over the top. Suffice to say, there's a couple holes in it just after one trip.

Next is a 250 Merrino Wool hoody base layer. Not too light, not too warm, and wicks pretty well. Plus it has a deep zipper to help regulate temperature.

Decided I'd try out a 150 Merrino wool bottom base layer. They're cut almost like capri's, so they line up with your hiking socks, and you don't have to figure out if you want your socks over or under your base layer.

Then there's a puffy top and bottom layer. Extremely compressible, so you can stuff them in your sack. Instead of sweating your ass off while hiking to your glassing point, dress light, and then when you start cooling down while sitting on a ridge, you just pull your puffies on over the top to warm back up.

The cheapest item on the list is a pair of gaters. Think of them like soccer shin guards to keep shit out of your pants and boots.

The binoculars I want are on backorder. I planned on using a pro deal on those as well, but then found out one of the guys I know works at sporting goods store and can get them for me at 50% off MSRP, (plus tax). Shhh, don't tell anyone.

I've also picked up two pairs of bush breaking Fjallraven pants. One is lighter weight, and it'll be a game time decision which pair I'll rely on.

Total cost for all that stuff, including the binoculars, plus the out of state mule deer tag?

[
    ]

One of the guys I hunt with came close to buying a used (never hunted) pair of Swarovski binoculars that would've cost as much as everying in the previous post. Fucker loves his overtime. If the binoculars hadn't been blaze orange, he probably would have bought them.

I dig those fjallraven pants and have an REI gift cert that needs spendin'. Might need to pick me up a pair.

EDIT: that means I can bring a hatchet with me to beer festivals!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Wait for the 20 percent coupon that shows up later this month. Buying a Nemo zero degree bag with my dividend and 20 percent coupon.

I think my favorite thing about my new pair of fjallravens is the ventilation zipper that goes half way down the side which I can open if I wanna show my wife some leg.

Also, I get a craving for pickled herring when I wear them.

Summed it up perfectly.

In other news, I picked up a Nemo Zero degree down bag with zipper vents, which means I can use it in warmer conditions. Also picked up a ‘light weight’ backpacking cot (five pounds), the Alps Mountaineering Ready Lite Cot. The next lightest cot is half the weight and twice the cost. Plus I can slide up to a 2” ground pad into the cot.

Ooh, that sounds great. I'm thinking that my next big camping purchase will be some cots. I just want to get to the point where I can make or break camp in fifteen minutes or less, and inflating/deflating the sleeping bag mats is the biggest time suck at the moment.

If you’re just car camping, I think you can get decent cots for 50-80 bucks. This one took me about five minutes to put together first time out.

https://www.alpsbrands.com/alpsmount...ready-lite-cot

Edit: I’ve got a Red Cross cot in the closet somewhere. Think it was fifty bucks or less. Sets up quick, but I’m not strapping that beast to a pack.

The first fambly camping trip of the season was also, thanks to a late season cold front up near Duluth, the first fambly camping trip where the temps dipped below freezing overnight. With a little bit of planning (bring lots of extra blankets), the right equipment (helps to have sleeping gear rated down to negative 30, also hot cocoa at the ready for the kiddos), and a few pro-tips (bring the clothes you plan on wearing the next morning into the sleeping bag with you at night), it can be a blast.

Even Mr. Charbles enjoyed himself, as you cans see below.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast