View Poll Results: Waht is this movie?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • A new franchise is born!

1 14.29%
  • Disney stole the Tesseract from Avengers

6 85.71%

Thread: A Wrinkle in Time (Ava DuVernay)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

A Wrinkle in Time (Ava DuVernay)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This is one of those movies that makes shit up as they go along to the point where you can't follow or be invested in the journey. Oh you can talk to flowers? And they speak the language color? Oh you can also change into a giant plant and fly? And there's an "evil" that's actively spreading across the Universe? And it takes shape just like Galactus in Green Lantern? So we can physically see it? And we need to stop it? One minute we need to abandon our plan and regroup. 10 seconds later we need to continue onward alone, because the script needs us to. This might be the most poorly written Disney movie ever made.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Probably not gonna watch this, but um, the tesseract concept here is from the 1962 book.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Probably not gonna watch this, but um, the tesseract concept here is from the 1962 book.
    I know the Avengers didn't come up with it. I was trying to say Disney/Marvel used it and this movie used it is all.

This was stunningly bad, and a steep drop off from Selma for the director. Oof. I'm not sure there's a single line of dialogue in this film that isn't blatant exposition. And the actors they got for this, I mean, there are good kid actors out there, and Disney certainly has the resources to find them, so what the fuck at the casting for the kids in this film. Particularly the youngest, who is way in over his head with the material they're trying to have him pull off. This was just so cringey throughout, and I was left just feeling bad for the kid. When its that apparent that the kid just flat out isn't capable to pull this off, it's almost exploitative to go ahead through with it, rather than just maybe giving him something smaller and casting someone more capable in the role.

Most shocking of all though is just how stupifyingly unimaginative the whole thing is. The entire movie, these characters are acting like they're experiencing such wondrous things, yet the whole thing just looks like they're on a green screen set. This style of fantasy just flat out doesn't work in a CGI world, it just doesn't. Studios seriously need to go back to more of a Lord of the Rings approach, and less the Hobbit approach in this genre if they really want to stir the imagination and make us believe what we're seeing on screen. Quite frankly, the only moment in the entire movie that was even the least bit clever was when the girl was walking on invisible drawings in the white room, which ironically enough was also one of the simpler effects in the movie at that.

All in all, this is a fucking disaster of a movie, one which, particularly coming out of Disney, is hard to even comprehend how its possible it turned out so bad. It has a great director behind it, and proven writers at that. So how did this even happen??