View Poll Results: Based on a True Story (Roman Polanski)

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

1 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: Based on a True Story (Roman Polanski)

Based on a True Story (Roman Polanski)

Dude, am I (again) the first one to see this? What the hell? Y'all need to cut down a bit on Marvel and watch some independent stuff.

This is clearly a minor entry in Polanski's filmography, which basically means that it's a straightforward thriller like The Ghost Writer or The Ninth Gate (which I like) and not something more personal and ambitious like Carnage and Venus in Furs - I don't know if the Roman himself makes that distinction when approaching his work but that's how I feel about it.

The movie is fine, wonderfully directed and acted, and it has a couple of short dream sequences that put to shame all other dream sequences in recent cinema, which confirms Polanski's creativity at the task of finding visual solutions to story problems. One problem that has to be addressed, though, is that the story is similar to a bunch of other very famous movies all spliced together. [
    ]

This is only a problem because it made me, as a viewer, underestimate the story and the choices the characters made. But Assayas (who co-scripts) and Polanski got me at the very end with the final turn of the screw so you can't really hold it against them too much that they made such an obvious pastiche.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-24-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Dude, am I (again) the first one to see this? What the hell? Y'all need to cut down a bit on Marvel and watch some independent stuff.
    I'm pretty sure this hasn't been released in the United States yet.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Because when you live in Trumpland you need to spend as much time in fantasy as possible so you don't lose your mind.