18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

17 94.44%
  • Nay

1 5.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham)

Quote Quoting PURPLE (view post)
    Well, I guess I don't understand your point of view since the film starts with her being voted "Most Quiet" - which shows you that she can't make friends because she doesn't speak. The rest of the film is her trying as hard as she possibly can to fight against that - which results in her talking to not-a-single-person-from-her-school at the pool party and then attempting to completely sell her soul to get the popular boy to pay her attention. These are not the behaviors of a person who is actually confident in interpersonal situations with her peers. Even when she's with the older kids and feeling slightly better she doesn't have the confidence to offer up an opinion, she just parrots whatever everyone else says. I don't get "confident" at alllllllll. Completely lacking self-esteem? Absolutely.
    But that underlines my point - the film itself has no read on its character, and for me, it comes off as more random actions to keep the film going than any cohesive characterization. It is absolutely clear she has confidence when she wants to, even if it is misplaced at times. The film just tries to generate drama by having her direct it at the shallow, one-dimensional girls to maintain some semblance of drama.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

The truth-or-dare game with the older dude in the back of his car was really cringe inducing, and I mean that as a compliment. I used to play that with my friends sisters in middle school, and while we were all age appropriate (the same age more or less), I wonder if it was awkward for them. Kinda had these weird flashbacks watching that scene.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 02-27-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    But that underlines my point - the film itself has no read on its character, and for me, it comes off as more random actions to keep the film going than any cohesive characterization. It is absolutely clear she has confidence when she wants to, even if it is misplaced at times. The film just tries to generate drama by having her direct it at the shallow, one-dimensional girls to maintain some semblance of drama.
    I pretty much disagree with everything you're saying, but I'm not sure this is going to be productive so I'll leave you to your dislike.

I pretty much disagree with everything you're saying, but I'm not sure this is going to be productive so I'll leave you to your dislike.
    Okay. Sorry I couldn't validate your feelings, or something? I don't know. All I did is explain why I disagree with you. Welcome to a messageboard.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Okay. Sorry I couldn't validate your feelings, or something? I don't know. All I did is explain why I disagree with you. Welcome to a messageboard.
    Thanks for the pedantry. Welcome to being an asshole.

Thanks for the pedantry. Welcome to being an asshole.
    Seriously though, we were just discussing the movie, and then you went and pulled a pissy kiss-off line. Why? Why not just stop replying?
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

This derailed pretty fast for no reason at all. Does Purple know Trans? Is Purple an Alias?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    This derailed pretty fast for no reason at all. Does Purple know Trans? Is Purple an Alias?
    It's weird. I was literally just talking about the movie, not getting heated, discussing the elements I didn't like about it, and it's suddenly "I'm not sure this is going to be productive so I'll leave you to your dislike." Like, there is no requirement to continue a conversation you have no interest in, but try not to be a knob about it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    The truth-or-dare game with the older dude in the back of his car was really cringe inducing, and I mean that as a compliment. I used to play that with my friends sisters in middle school, and while we were all age appropriate (the same age more or less), I wonder if it was awkward for them. Kinda had these weird flashbacks watching that scene.
    Yeah yeah. If you've seem some Solondz or LaBute it's not as awkward as all that but it was like being a fly on the wall in this one - very well done.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Yeah yeah. If you've seem some Solondz or LaBute it's not as awkward as all that but it was like being a fly on the wall in this one - very well done.
    Yeah, I mean it's maybe not as cringey as that one scene in Happiness (if you've seen it, you know which one I'm talking about), but I wouldn't have liked it as much if Burnham took it too far. The boy never tries to rape her or even get physical with her, just gets pushy and creepy. It's much more realistic that way and doesn't feel like Burnham is trying to be a shocking edgelord about it. As such, it gave me some flashbacks from interactions I had in middle school.

Also, that other scene with the kid matter of factly asking if she gives blowjobs seems so eighth grade.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12