View Poll Results: Mom and Dad (Brian Taylor)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 66.67%
  • Nay

1 33.33%

Thread: Mom and Dad (Brian Taylor)

Mom and Dad (Brian Taylor)

MOM AND DAD
    Dir. Brian Taylor

IMDb page
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I regret every life decision that led me to watching this.

I remember enjoying Crank back in the day and finding its style purposeful, but this made no sense to me. Taylor films a yoga class like it's a Jason Statham action scene, but there's no aesthetic rhyme or reason to anything he does here, outside of applying his same old bag of tricks to whatever material he has at hand. The whole film is just a punchline ("we love our kids, but sometimes we want to fucking kill them") that constantly interrupts the only thing it ostensibly has going for it (crazy action, which btw, is neither crazy nor exciting) to flesh out trite backstory in the most unimaginative way possible (and I thought Annihilation was bad at this, yeesh). It's thoughtless and inept work, top to bottom, and only has one good joke, and one good stunt, for its almost 90min running time.

A swing and an epic fucking miss.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Producer
    Before this, the only Neveldine/Taylor films I'd watched are the Crank series, and my first of their solo films feels like Taylor without Neveldine seems to lack a little something. Nifty hook, committed ensemble (Blaire even matches Cage in intensity here), and one of those horror premises that taps into a rich thematic anxiety -- all of these seem ready-made for a far superior film than the two Cranks. And yet, for all those two's messy unhingedness, they still feel like complete films with ebbs and flows throughout, rather than the mad bursts of energy that suddenly just stop here. I also miss those films' explicit leans into dark humor (if not their too-proudly offensive attitude) rather than the occasional straight-face nervous comedy here. All in all, still good gruesome fun though. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5