5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadpool 2 (David Leitch)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

Deadpool 2 (David Leitch)

Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Look, I really did not like the first one at all, but I still went into this with an optimism as I knew it was still a world that had potential and it was a movie I was going to end up seeing anyway, and I found myself actually into this one for enough of the way through that even though I still don't think it's an especially good movie, I think I liked it about as much as I could have imagined possible.

Despite being a very sloppily plotted and overall just cohesive-enough piece of storytelling that even amongst all the goofiness, raunch, above-all-this attitude and meta self-awareness, seems to really want to be something emotionally resonant, and it's successful maybe half of the time there, but really it's the characters and the humour that need to drive this, and they mostly do, even if it feels like every character except for the titular one is underused.

It's all over the place, but some of those places are enjoyable, even if it wastes a lot of opportunities, characters, and potential to even just be a more interesting action movie a lot of the time (probably the biggest disappointment considering Leitch is in the director seat).

So I did like it a lot more than the original, but I'm not sure that means I actually liked it overall on real movie terms. It feels like that Anchorman: Wake Up, Ron Burgundy! DVD movie where they strung together another version of the movie entirely of alternate scenes and unused storylines, and here you feel like you can see remnants and echoes of the real, superior version of the movie that in reality is nowhere to be found.

The credit scenes and certain cameos are pretty damn funny, though.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 05-11-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That's a great tagline.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    That's a great poster.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

And that's a great enthusiasm for the movie I genuinely wish I had myself.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's a great tagline.
    It's a weirdly integral part of the movie too. Though of course in the wobbly way the character operates, Deadpool manages to exist in both the X-Men movie universe and comment on our own X-Men movie-watching one.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Probably the first truly great movie this year. These Deadpool movies are precisely what this genre needs right now.

Man, this was a swing and a miss for me. There's not much I enjoyed about this at all except for the mid-credits scene. Not even the cameos and decent iteration of Juggernaut was enough. A chore to sit through. Felt like it was never ending- even with Reynolds parody death. I felt like the action was weaker, jokes did not hit, overly complicated story, not much payoff and underused characters. Was Terry Cruise on screen for 17 total seconds?

Open credits were pretty great. "Directed by one of the guys who killed the dog in John Wick"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Man, I came out with exactly the opposite opinion about everything you just mentioned. Thought the action was better, the jokes were funnier, the characters were perfectly utilized (and Domino totally steals the show). This movie was such a breath of freah air in every single regard.
    Last edited by TGM; 05-19-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Goddamn hilarious, and better than the first one.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Side note: am I going to be the most uncool Dad ever? I cannot believe how many 10, 11, 12, 13 year olds were in this movie. Talking through out the whole movie also.

Side note: am I going to be the most uncool Dad ever? I cannot believe how many 10, 11, 12, 13 year olds were in this movie. Talking through out the whole movie also.
    I dunno, maybe I'm just thinking of myself at that age, I'd say 12 or 13 is a pretty acceptable for this? Its sensibilities are basically designed to be most effective for that exact age group. I'd hope its humour and infantile attitude would be enjoyed less with age. Plus its violence is on the cartoonish side of both excess and lack of stakes and consequences.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I dunno, maybe I'm just thinking of myself at that age, I'd say 12 or 13 is a pretty acceptable for this? Its sensibilities are basically designed to be most effective for that exact age group. I'd hope its humour and infantile attitude would be enjoyed less with age. Plus its violence is on the cartoonish side of both excess and lack of stakes and consequences.
    I dunno. I guess. Die Hard with a Vengeance was the first R-rated movie I saw in theaters and I was 12. I feel like this is a little harder R.

Also, I heard some kid behind me ask "What was that?" when they saw this Red Band trailer at 2:03.

2nd Side note: I laughed harder in this trailer than I did in the movie.

HA! Please make this Matt Damon's thing.

https://screenrant.com/deadpool-2-matt-damon-cameo/

HA! Please make this Matt Damon's thing.

https://screenrant.com/deadpool-2-matt-damon-cameo/
    I mean:

Interstellar
    The Zero Theorem
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Unsane

Hell.. Eurotrip

How is it not already? He also apparently has a not-so-secret cameo role in another movie this summer.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

I dunno. I guess. Die Hard with a Vengeance was the first R-rated movie I saw in theaters and I was 12. I feel like this is a little harder R.

Also, I heard some kid behind me ask "What was that?" when they saw this Red Band trailer at 2:03.

2nd Side note: I laughed harder in this trailer than I did in the movie.

Blech. Meet the Feebles did this 25 years ago and it was already awful then.

Bottom line: A lot more dead spots in this than the first one, meaning it is a bit more of a chore to get through. There is also just something wrong with the timing in this outing - for example, I love the idea behind the X-force sequence, but it is way too telegraphed and sloppy in its execution. Needed more of the bizarre, like taking the kiddy legs idea and actually doing something with it rather than just have a bunch of people stand round and look at them, ad-libbing.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Producer
    The first part, before the kid and Cable enter the story, feels weirdly shoddy, while the post-climatic fight's "subversive" stabs at conventional superhero drama just grow tired and long quickly. The middle section, however, is probably as good as this is going to get, thanks to having a real action director this time. Looks way more cinematic with captivating, well-choreographed action scenes, which mean the humor extends from just hit-and-miss quips (but this time more hits, as the focus is more on actual jokes rather than bad words) into actual well-thought out physical comedy as well, like Deadpool's grosteque body bending as a way to fight Cable. The X-Force sequence that extends into Domino showcase is a series high, and the prison convoy attack turns out unexpectedly to be among the best superhero action so far this year. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I thought this was pretty dang good! For being so thoroughly a sendup and parody, I thought in its general craziness and meta reference it actually felt a lot more like a classic X-comic than a lot of the X-Men films do.
    Last edited by Neclord; 05-26-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    I thought this was pretty dang good! For being so thoroughly a sendup and parody, I thought in its general craziness and meta reference it actually felt a lot more like a classic X-comic than a lot of the X-Men films do.
    This.

Good cinematic fast food. I thought the first one was more coherent as an overall movie, while this is no more than a series of gags connected by loose "plot". Some of the gags are really good and funny, but I thought it was at least equally miss as it was hit.

Really enjoyed this conversation on the movie. Touches on a lot of subjects that show just precisely why this is such a fantastic movie.

I can't stand her. I think she's a phony.

o.O She's always seemed like one of the least phony personalities on the internet to me these days, but okay...

Saw this again last night, and it was even better the second time around. Lots of details that I didn't catch the first go around, which made me appreciate it all the more, and the emotional beats hit a lot harder this go around too. I'm really gonna miss these rated R X-Men movies if they wind up going away.

Caught this today. Ton of fun.

[
    ]

One of my favorite things about the first Deadpool was that I finally got to see what I think of Colussus on the big screen. The same is true in Deadpool 2 of [
    ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast