4 17.39%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Quiet Place (John Krasinski)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

A Quiet Place (John Krasinski)

Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I liked it quite a bit. It's extremely taut and ingeniously sparse, knowing how and when to dole out its horror elements and necessary dialogue without ever getting bogged down in detailing things it trusts you to figure out, as the world it creates is so cinematically inclined that it doesn't need to work for any other form but one that requires your full visual and aural attention. And Krasinski's direction is very elegant and even classical in those perameters and style on top of that, with his approach to depicting the daily family life often being very structured and unremarkable, despite the actions, tasks and behaviours being so unusual because of the looming danger their errors will attract, which then still allows an unrelenting tension invisibly hover in the middle of every frame. Also the fact that he shot it on 35mm gives it a warm and lived-in texture that feels gorgeously jarring to the fear and hopelessness that should permeate it.

And I think some people might reduce it to examining it just as a horror movie, and that's fine, but I think like all great horror it really commits to being about something. There's a tangible pulse underneath the dread and by engaging primarily with the emotions of its characters to fuel the drama and your connection to the story's twists and thrills rather than just through sheer shocks and unexpected turns, it manages payoffs and beauty in even the simplest scenes and pleasant compositions.

This is the opposite of a spoiler but if you want to know absolutely nothing about the antagonistic force in this: [
    ]

Well worth seeing in the most well-behaved theatre you can find. Also maybe half of the movie is entirely free of dialogue, and most of the rest of it where the characters do speak is subtitled ASL (so, yeah, go to a theatre whose audience may scoff at being asked to read) and the rest is carried by visuals, sound effects (both subtle and then jarringly loud), and its (actually very good and memorable!) score. But beyond those worries, it's a very well-made B-movie crowd-pleaser that I'm glad exists in the modern studio climate (likely because it was seen a bankable horror) and hope it does very well.

It's the one movie that can claim to be both extremely lovely and nerve-wrackingly intense concurrently for nearly its entire runtime. And that's kind of an awe-inspiring feat all its own.

***½ / 7.9
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 04-05-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Producer
    Unexpected for me in how the film functions more as an actual story than a series of set-pieces, although it has the latter quite a bit, all handsomely mounted, with superb sound design and different points of view cut for maximum impact. Even then, they are not excessive nor in the showstopping pile-on nature, but instead flow from one to another, like a problem creating another new one to be continuously solved. And almost all of them come in the second half, after a patient first half building this world's rules, establishing geography, and letting us see the story of one family dealing with and trying to live on in this apocalypse, even after unbearable tragedy, when their expressions for shared pain, grief, and love are needed but more difficult in this world to communicate to each other. The first half's events are of different levels of engaging (the "dance" to establish the husband-wife bond, for one, does nothing for me), but they provide a solid, affecting bedrock, both story-wise and thematically, for the later scares and mayhem.

An aside: one guy in theater was about to sneeze loudly during a very tense waiting moment; we all heard his unbelievably big intake of ach- but then he seemed to realize himself and abruptly just cut it off, resulting in some quick, hushed laughter. The film's rules on the characters, which implicitly are imposed on us as well, make for one of my favorite audience reactions in quite a while. 7.5/10
    Last edited by Peng; 04-06-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Critics are like "you have to see this in a quiet and well-behaved theater."

I'm like what theaters do YOU go to?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)

I was going to see this tomorrow, but if that's a talking point, then I'll just wait for rental.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah no shit. My quiet well behaved theater is my home.

Ahaha.. Press screenings, obviously.

And honestly, for my screening (which was a to-capacity mix of public and press), everyone was pretty well-behaved and seemingly overly-conscious about every noise they made, aside from maybe one person right in front of me who I had to shush because they decided to suddenly comment obnoxiously at full volume about how something reminded them of another movie, I think just to remove themselves from the tension of it, though ruining it for everyone within earshot. Also a guy right beside me made a tent in his to check his phone for.. I dunno, the time? The movie is super short, but maybe still too relentless to be uncertain of how much more of it he'd have to deal with.

We also had the most Canadian moment imaginable where I heard a girl scream and then go, "Sorry!" almost within the same breath.

It's entirely unique to the experience of this movie because the premise entirely hinges on the characters not being to make any sound, so you're incredibly conscious of your own movements and behaviour in every moment. It creates a singular type of experience.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I was going to see this tomorrow, but if that's a talking point, then I'll just wait for rental.
    It's more of a no-talking point but, still... Go see it.

Anyway, just to give an anecdotal example of my own: Right as the movie began I grabbed a handful of my friend's handful, which he already had remarked he probably should not have put as much of that free butter-flavoured canola oil into. So once I delicately ate each popped kernel to minimize sound, the first few minutes after that I had a napkin to wipe off that buttery residue, and somewhere along the line later in the movie I realized I had been tightly clasping that napkin the entire time since, reducing it to a small distorted clump of its former self.

So maybe bring a stress ball or something? *shrug*
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 04-06-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

I'll say this, I was pretty concerned about my theater behaving properly, because a group of teenagers came in and were laughing and joking and talking real loud during the trailers. However, as soon as the movie started, the whole theater went silent, and it stayed that way the whole way through, thankfully.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Some character beats didn't hit for me, one felt outright contrived, and I wasn't buck wild on the creature design (it's another riff on Giger's alien, all black and slimy and humanoid and eyeless and composed of pure aggression), but goddamnit the flick is a slick, effective exercise in raw tension. The kind you might remember from the best moments of movies like the similarly post-apoc I Am Legend and the similarly corn-fed Signs. The script's high concept hook keeps you on edge the whole time, and Krasinski's meat-and-potatoes camerawork and style enhance the drama without ever calling needless attention to the craft (and it is very good craftwerk).

Friend I went with said he wished the flick would've been score-less, and I wonder if that's true. At the very least, Beltrami could've reeled it in. You as a viewer want access to every single sound these characters make.

I pretty much only watch movies in theatres, and almost never have the experiences that people here seem to have every time they go. Cinemas are the best.

I liked this. Cool concept and remains tense and engaging throughout.

[
    ]

For people who've seen the flick, quick questions regarding the fire:

[
    ]

and the forbidden basement:

[
    ]

[
    ]
    Last edited by TGM; 04-07-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    [
    ]
    Gotcha. That really annoys me, though, it just raises way too many questions about the struggles this family unit's going through and

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Gotcha. That really annoys me, though, it just raises way too many questions about the struggles this family unit's going through and

[
    ]

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I pretty much only watch movies in theatres, and almost never have the experiences that people here seem to have every time they go. Cinemas are the best.

I liked this. Cool concept and remains tense and engaging throughout.
    Okay. Not if you have crippling anxiety and any small noise or distraction ruins the experience for you. I don't know how Kiwi audiences behave, but America is the worst. I saw Ready Player One at a matinee with maybe 10 other people in the audience, but one guy close to me was moaning loudly anytime an action scene was happening.

More and more I just wait until I can watch it from home. Theaters aren't the sacred safe havens they used to be. Theater owners are actively trying to push towards people to stream with their ignorance to the theatrical experience.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

More and more I just wait until I can watch it from home. Theaters aren't the sacred safe havens they used to be. Theater owners are actively trying to push towards people to stream with their ignorance to the theatrical experience.
    Same. I've been forced to leave and get my money back too many times.

"Well then why are you mad if you got your money back?"

Because I wanted to SEE THE FUCKING MOVIE!!

So do they fart or not

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    So do they fart or not
    If you really must know:

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    If you really must know:

[
    ]
    I'll suspend my disbelief for epic space operas but this is too much

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    I'll suspend my disbelief for epic space operas but this is too much
    There's no way the writers didn't have a conversation about it at some point.

I, like you, would've been a fart booster.

Probably a lot of butt tilting going on in that household.

I thought this was just okay. Too reliant on cheap jump scares. The premise (a great one) carries almost all of the tension. I found the surrounding execution to be mostly functional, and I didn’t think the story added much to the concept. The creature design and scoring were pretty unimaginative, which is felt pretty acutely here since so many other elements of the film are pared down by necessity.

The biggest win for Krasinski, as a director, is that he (mostly) trusted the concept to work and let it play out without too many noticeable hedges. I respect the boldness of that choice, if nothing else.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 04-08-2018 at 05:25 AM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

A few good set pieces (almost Spielbergian in a way) doesn't make a good movie.

Krasinski does create a world that you definitely want to know more about, so that in itself is a win. However, the drama within the family, and a considerable amount of jump points can be figured out all in the first half hour. The family drama is also pretty unoriginal, and if you hated the way Signs ended, this one has a similar technique. The alien is also pretty uninteresting, also like Signs.

Emily Blunt is pretty damn good in it though. Her scenes are clearly the best.

My theater was respectable enough. For a 8 PM Saturday showing in a rowdy neighborhood, I expected much worse.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

As for the questions proposed:

1- Completely felt that was society showing who existed still. There was probably some communication between families, but otherwise left each other alone.

2- Still not quite sure what the deal was with downstairs. Maybe a push of the wrong button could've been disastrous?

My own logic seems like these things could've been easily set up for a trap. No way were these things smart enough to basically wipe out the human race.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This started out ok, until something happened and I immediately had one question that made me think these were the dumbest people on the planet...

[
    ]

yeah it fell apart for me. and the movie Soft for Digging had a better riff on this kind of concept.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    This started out ok, until something happened and I immediately had one question that made me think these were the dumbest people on the planet...

[
    ]

yeah it fell apart for me. and the movie Soft for Digging had a better riff on this kind of concept.
    Regarding point one:

[
    ]

Regarding point two:

[
    ]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast