View Poll Results: Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 83.33%
  • Nay

1 16.67%

Thread: Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Stefano Sollima)

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Stefano Sollima)

SICARIO: DAY OF THE SOLDADO

Director: Stefano Sollima

imdb

This is a mostly really good solid follow up to the previous movie. And then the ending happens.

[
    ]

So yeah, shame it had to end the way it did, 'cause it was a pretty damn stellar movie up until that point. But that ending definitely sent it down quite a few notches for me.

There's no doubt that putting Brolin and Del Toro's characters at the forefront makes this an entirely different film from its predecessor.

Nevertheless, I found this to be a pretty damn compelling narrative on its own terms. Although it lacks the prior film's subversiveness, it almost makes up for it with intricate and very clever plotting. Sollima also does an admirable job in picking up where Villeneuve and Deakins left off in mounting the film. From a technical perspective, it leaves you with a lot of lasting images and sequences.

It's sort of a shame that a few bad choices in the third act are going to kill this movie for a lot of people. Not to say that's entirely unjustified, but there's some stellar cinematic work in the first 2/3 of this film that is so far and above what you will find in your boilerplate Marvel/Star Wars sequel. And those things pull a 90% tomato-meter without breaking a sweat. This film deserves better than the response it's received, but they really did bungle the landing.

[
    ]
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 06-29-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Yep. Everything's already been noted here. I was quite impressed and shocked at what I was seeing. This sure didn't seem like a big-budget studio sequel at all...

That is, until it did.

But if this becomes a universe, and they push for tense scenes like the rest of the movie had, count me in.

[
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Loved this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?