Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jessica Jones (Season 2)

Three more episodes. *shrug* Still the best Netflix Marvel show. Don't see all that much to complain about here.

Also, gotta appreciate any showrunner that takes the effort to hire people (Cubans) who can actually speak Spanish to play Spanish-speaking characters. In Breaking Bad it was jarring as hell whenever someone from the cartel tried it.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Eh, the problem with masks is that they don't allow the actors to emote.
    Yeah. I said as much eight years ago. Welcome to the party.

It makes sense that they'd save it for the action scenes in Captain America's case. Tony Stark spends most of his time not fighting out of the armor in the comics for logical reasons. The only significant change they did to the costumes is removing Hawkeye's mask.
    Huh? Cap's mask doesn't hide his eyes or even most of his face. So that doesn't make sense.

As for Stark, I'd wager more than half the shots are close-ups of RDJ, the interior of the suit, and the HUD.

it's Netflix in particular that seems to be embarassed of costumes and go out of its way to make fun of them.
    I guess? In the very first "X-Men" movie, Wolverine makes a snide comment about how stupid the costumes look.

You're right that the CW shows more costumes, mostly on the act breaks / fight scenes. But holy hell those costumes are terrible. (The Flash looks laughably bad, and the producers know it. The way that show is structured and shot, it's like they want to avoid showing him suited up and wearing the mask.)

All I'm saying, ffs, is that this isn't a new problem or a new response.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I guess? In the very first "X-Men" movie, Wolverine makes a snide comment about how stupid the costumes look.
    And I hated those Matrix-like costumes and the Wolverine diss back when I saw X-Men on theaters... 18 years ago. Welcome to MY party.

I don't know why you get so anal about this, considering we're both saying more or less the same thing. Yes, it's difficult translating colorful superhero costumes to the screen... and there are different responses to it. The one found in Netflix shows seems to be to forego them completely and dress everyone in some variation of urban clothing. It doesn't work for me and it deprives us of great visuals like Nuke's US face tattoo which isn't even a mask.

Nolan's approach of turning everything "realistic" was also pretty awful.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-21-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Watched until episode 8. Yeah, I like this show.

Love the subtle references to the comic, like Jessica's mom looking like comic-book Jessica and the neighbour's painting style being reminiscent of Alias covers.

And the lawyer played by Carrie-Ann Moss is a MUCH, MUCH more compelling crossover character than Rosario Dawson's.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-25-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Finished it last night. Good stuff. I think I prefer the first season, but this one still has a lot to unpack.

Yeah, great season. The last four episodes were unbelievably intense.

The cast is uniformly excellent, but man, David Tennant has the whole "slimy Brit villain" thing down to a t. His single appearance as a ghost is so creepy and his teasing of Jessica so wickedly hilarious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12