Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westworld (Season 2)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Westworld (Season 2)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm one of the few, but I'm in.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Yeah, I can't wait to see where this goes next.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Producer
    I had the chance to watch the premiere in theater for Thai promotional press on Friday. Keep in mind that the show's pilot is one of my favorite pilots in recent years (love the way it presents a haunting, gorgeous, impeccably crafted loop of existence, then keeps adding details and rifts to that loop, before ends with a definitive crack in the last scene), and this premiere is... just fine. Very much a transitional, setting-things-up episode. I feel like the turn last season pushes the show into a pulpier territory, and the still somber tone sometimes feels at odds with the more genre story now. But it's more violent and visceral, with the consequences of season 1's finale turning almost all storylines and characters into pure anarchy and survival modes (and I saw some reviews saying positively that the season leans more into its own thrills as it goes along). I groaned internally though when we reached the end and that in media res framing turns out to not be a one-episode thing, and might last a while; the mystery-box approach last season is divisive though still purposeful enough for me, but here after the last finale's shift it just seems so perversely unnecessary now.

Highlights for me: Jeffrey Wright's acting, Tessa Thompson given more screentime, Thandie Newton's still involving storyline.
    Last edited by Peng; 04-21-2018 at 07:45 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Anyone else but Peng watch this??

I DVRed it but been busy lately.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I watched it. If you liked Season 1, you'll like this. If not, you probably won't.

Steven Wright seems to be the main player at this point. Being the great actor he is, I'm fine with this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Today's episode was a standout. Loved it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Yeah, that was more like it. Several timelines as usual but this time focused mostly on Dolores' memories of Delos throughout the years, for this season's mystery. Feels more cohesive rather than separated like last week, or kept too opaque like last season's.

And seeing the Mad Men-ishly unrevealing sypnosis of future episodes, I can't wait for episode 5. [
    ]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Yeah, that was more like it. Several timelines as usual but this time focused mostly on Dolores' memories of Delos throughout the years, for this season's mystery. Feels more cohesive rather than separated like last week, or kept too opaque like last season's.

And seeing the Mad Men-ishly unrevealing sypnosis of future episodes, I can't wait for episode 5. [
    ]
    Yeah, and the timelines served the story's purpose. It was all cohesive. If it weren't for reddit, I would've thought it was one timeline until Clifton Collins got killed and showed up somewhere else in the same episode (great character by the way).

Also enjoying that there is still aspects of the game itself, such as Ford's planting of what the soldiers do when asked to join Man In Black. Great scene.

How many episodes is this season? Hopefully the gates that everyone is seemingly going to isn't just the entrance for Shogun World, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Caught up. Really love the new park introductions.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Caught up. Really love the new park introductions.
    Yeah. Raj World seems way more fun than I would've thought.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Good episode. Now we know it's not just a park and it's not just some AI revolution.

I don't know the actor who played Father Delos, but he did the best "robot meltdown" that I've seen since Abernathy in Episode I. Incredible scene of personal loss mixed with robotic play.

No Delores or Maeve in the whole episode, and it ends up being one of the better of the series. That might mean something...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeh that was pretty great. I feel like this show is entering into Lost territory now. They need to be really careful where they take this.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeh that was pretty great. I feel like this show is entering into Lost territory now. They need to be really careful where they take this.
    I'm just really hoping that Hopkins isn't still alive in any capacity (robot or not), and ditto to Ed Harris being a robot, finding himself as one.

Other then that, now that it's completely frank in its timelines, I'm digging each episode. Just confused as to why certain robots still seem to be involved in the game and no awareness that there's a revolution.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'm just really hoping that Hopkins isn't still alive in any capacity (robot or not), and ditto to Ed Harris being a robot, finding himself as one.

Other then that, now that it's completely frank in its timelines, I'm digging each episode. Just confused as to why certain robots still seem to be involved in the game and no awareness that there's a revolution.
    I have absolute confidence the former will happen. I was even expecting it to happen in last night's episode. However, the fact they keep hiding that someone else is playing that role, makes me reconsider my own theory.

Producer
    Oh wow, I feel like that was the best episode since the pilot. Didn't expect that because I knew going in that the samurai cliffhanger will not be addressed until next one and I was dubious (from the promo) about Ed Harris' storyline being of much interest to me after first season. Never expect it to be this good, and also parallel with Bernard's storyline to dovetail at the end wonderfully. In retrospect I am not surprised I love this ep as the James Delos scenes have the recursive feel as the pilot, but with narrative momentum forward instead of showing cracks in the world-building. Can't believe this is Lisa Joy's directorial debut too.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    those Delos scenes were haunting. it was more than just a robot meltdown... it was a human soul broken and rearranged and destroyed. fantastic stuff.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Shogun World was everything I hoped for.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think another reason this season has worked out so well is that each episode can almost be stand-alone, something that a lot of television hasn't been able to accomplish over the years. Yesterday being a great example of it with Maeve's subplot, and last week with the Delos owner.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

How many other TV shows basically have an entire episode in another language?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    I feel like there must be at least one other, but it escapes me at the moment.

Feels weird to call this episode, focusing on a host, the most humane Westworld yet, but yeah. The most singular focus for the first time ever does so well by it (even the one other strand turns out to tie in with the main story the whole time in the end), making this heartbreaking story so intimate and resonating. Maybe best performance of the season too. This season is a bit messy, reflecting both the ambition and events that don't hover under a unified mystery box atmosphere like in season 1 anymore. But it makes some standout, unique episodes like "The Riddle of the Sphinx" and this one possible.

And that was a gorgeous, haunting teaser for next week (wonder if they cut it that way to maintain the mood from this episode?): [
    ]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I feel like there must be at least one other, but it escapes me at the moment.

Feels weird to call this episode, focusing on a host, the most humane Westworld yet, but yeah. The most singular focus for the first time ever does so well by it (even the one other strand turns out to tie in with the main story the whole time in the end), making this heartbreaking story so intimate and resonating. Maybe best performance of the season too. This season is a bit messy, reflecting both the ambition and events that don't hover under a unified mystery box atmosphere like in season 1 anymore. But it makes some standout, unique episodes like "The Riddle of the Sphinx" and this one possible.

And that was a gorgeous, haunting teaser for next week (wonder if they cut it that way to maintain the mood from this episode?): [
    ]
    Yeah, we've had solo backstories on just about everything else at this point. I'm guessing the finale will lead to some of the androids breaking out into the real world? I'm wondering which brain is in "Modern Day Bernard's" head.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Between Game of Thrones and Westworld, HBO is trying to make "ironic Father's Day episodes" a thing huh.

This may be the first time I'm a bit pissed at a Westworld episode, which takes me longer enough than most lol. That's like one of the only few things (the only thing?) that make his storyline interesting!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I still feel that she may have not been real, but still shows William has lost grip with reality.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast