Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Note

Yes, I keep forgetting Match-cut is first and foremost a community of horror fans... I'm certain I'd enjoy Death Note more if I was one, which isn't the case at all. As I said, I appreciate the idea, but the execution is not up my alley.

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    yes! you exactly nails down what i dislike about the show and the comic. not to mention, those dialogues are not half as smart as people who write them think they are.
    That all depends on how smart you think they think they are. The plot twists and reveals are only partially the point. You're not supposed to be completely blown away by ever reveal, although personally I think the cat and mouse games played out over the course of the show are for the most part fairly satisfying. The subtext, the tone (tense! tense! tense!) and fairly complex character psychologies (Light, L, Light's father, even the Shinigami are ripe with pathos) are the strengths of the show.

Oh and the show is very well animated people, it just doesn't have an action scene every five minutes. Case in point, when characters obsessively write down names in the Death Note... awesome animation!
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Yes, I keep forgetting Match-cut is first and foremost a community of horror fans... I'm certain I'd enjoy Death Note more if I was one, which isn't the case at all. As I said, I appreciate the idea, but the execution is not up my alley.
    Fair, I couldn't stand Perfect Blue because of the nauseating slasher tone which permeated the entire film... yet I love Death Note... but still based on the former I think I can see where you're coming from.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Yes, I keep forgetting Match-cut is first and foremost a community of horror fans...
    Wait. We are?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Wait. We are?
    No.

I keep thinking a lot of people don't like it (and this is actually the reason given by film critics who saw the movie but not the anime and manga) because the set up promises a story about playing God and the effects of vigilantism in society, but instead it's really just a cat-and-mouse thriller.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    No.
    Compared to me - oh yes. Bigtime.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Compared to me - oh yes. Bigtime.
    Most of the people from Axis stayed over at Axis once we split. That's all I was saying. We weren't mostly horror fans. We were originally from RT's FDT, and migrated to Axis, and then split off into Match Cut. Thankfully a few have stayed with us from the Axis split, but most of us aren't horror-centric.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Most of the people from Axis stayed over at Axis once we split. That's all I was saying. We weren't mostly horror fans. We were originally from RT's FDT, and migrated to Axis, and then split off into Match Cut. Thankfully a few have stayed with us from the Axis split, but most of us aren't horror-centric.
    Okay. I couldn't really follow the migration with all the name changes so I'm generally assuming most people here enjoy horror more than me.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I keep thinking a lot of people don't like it (and this is actually the reason given by film critics who saw the movie but not the anime and manga) because the set up promises a story about playing God and the effects of vigilantism in society, but instead it's really just a cat-and-mouse thriller.
    freaking correct!

i know you're a fan of naoki urasawa. can you imagine how much much better and more interesting death note would be if it had been written by him? anything will be, yes, but my point is why waste such a nice potential on a -- not even a cat-and-mouse thriller -- i'll say, a stupid chess board game that doesn't hold a consistent rule.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

freaking correct!

i know you're a fan of naoki urasawa. can you imagine how much much better and more interesting death note would be if it had been written by him? anything will be, yes, but my point is why waste such a nice potential on a -- not even a cat-and-mouse thriller -- i'll say, a stupid chess board game that doesn't hold a consistent rule.
    Pfft, that's one of the things that's so interesting about the series, the focused attention to the rules and the way in which all the rules of the game dictate the entire proceedings.

But I do hear Monster is great a great show too.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    But I do hear Monster is a great show too.
    i don't even know there is a "show". but i love many things urasawa did, include monster.

i don't even know there is a "show". but i love many things urasawa did, include monster.
    So what are your favorite shows and mangas?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

So what are your favorite shows and mangas?
    haaaaaaaarrrrrrrd to say. i have lived with these stuffs my whole life. when i read or watch japanese cartoon, it's not about appreciating art -- unlike books or movies -- it's more like living.

there is this guy, shota kikuchi, who's practically unheard of in the states and even in thailand -- you google his name, and almost nothing shows up. i love one of his manga series way back then. he still consistently produces low-key work which i adore, recognize the talent, but don't go banana over it. a hard-edge conservative and a pervert. always a nice combination in my book. :P

haaaaaaaarrrrrrrd to say. i have lived with these stuffs my whole life. when i read or watch japanese cartoon, it's not about appreciating art -- unlike books or movies -- it's more like living.

there is this guy, shota kikuchi, who's practically unheard of in the states and even in thailand -- you google his name, and almost nothing shows up. i love one of his manga series way back then. he still consistently produces low-key work which i adore, recognize the talent, but don't go banana over it. a hard-edge conservative and a pervert. always a nice combination in my book. :P
    Bah, you're not allowed to critique everything mentioned in the thread without throwing up some more counter examples so we can get to the great stuff.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Bah, you're not allowed to critique everything mentioned in the thread without throwing up some more counter examples so we can get to the great stuff.
    oh, if that's what you want, i will raise you lain which, i think, deal with similar theme as NGE but in a more satisfying manner. a counter examples for death note is silent service which is also a chess board game but contains more social and political bearing.

oh, if that's what you want, i will raise you lain which, i think, deal with similar theme as NGE but in a more satisfying manner. a counter examples for death note is silent service which is also a chess board game but contains more social and political bearing.
    Cool thanks, oddly enough I just finished watching the first episode of Lain.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Hell fucking yes I love Urasawa.

Monster and Master Keaton are two of the best manga ever written. I was drooling over Master Keaton when my peers were reading Detective Conan (aka Case Closed here in the States).
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Hell fucking yes I love Urasawa.

Monster and Master Keaton are two of the best manga ever written. I was drooling over Master Keaton when my peers were reading Detective Conan (aka Case Closed here in the States).
    have you ever read or watched his comparatively more light-hearted, girl, sport series? Yawara? Happy? how's about his "adaptation" of astro boy?

Death Note is fantastic, especially for an anime.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Cool thanks, oddly enough I just finished watching the first episode of Lain.
    LAIN is fantastic.

I bet you would also like Boogiepop Phantom.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    LAIN is fantastic.

I bet you would also like Boogiepop Phantom.
    Sweet... kind of unrelated but I really think you'd like Kin Dza Dza (only fansubs available so have to watch online) a Russian cyberpunk. In some ways the type of grain/palette reminds me slightly of The Ninth Configuration.

Can check it out here (in two parts):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61878127683608
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Sweet... kind of unrelated but I really think you'd like Kin Dza Dza (only fansubs available so have to watch online) a Russian cyberpunk. In some ways the type of grain/palette reminds me slightly of The Ninth Configuration.

Can check it out here (in two parts):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61878127683608
    Awesome. Thanks for the rec, never even heard of it.

I will definitely check this out.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm watching this series now. I'm on the fourth episode and I'm hooked. Tell me it gets better as the series continues and doesn't trail off.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm watching this series now. I'm on the fourth episode and I'm hooked. Tell me it gets better as the series continues and doesn't trail off.
    It gets progressively better until a crucial plot-point and then it's still very good and has an excellent finale but it's a bit different than what came before.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast