Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devilman Crybaby (Season 1)

Devilman Crybaby (Season 1)

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Um, this show is a masterpiece.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh shit. I forgot about this. Didn't realize it was live.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I watched the first episode last night and it melted my brain. Holy shit is it demented.

8 have you watched any previous Devilman shows? Worth checking out?

Awesome! Love Devilman. Had no idea about this. Looks fantastic.

I fucking love Go Nagai, especially his influence on the '70s revival/pastiche anime with stuff like Mazinkaiser, Shin Getter Robo and Giant Robo.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    8 have you watched any previous Devilman shows? Worth checking out?
    My entire familiarity of Devilman is from reading the manga. I've seen some of the original anime here and there, but I never paid attention to any of the adaptations, really. I tend to not care much about the super faithful series adaptations (I avoided watching the Death Note anime for the longest time because I'd read the comic). I only checked this out because it looks like it's taking a way trippier approach than any of the previous ones. Glad I did.
    Movie Theater Diary

There are parts of this that are very hard to stomach. I'm surprised I was able to make it through it and I don't know that if I'd known exactly what would be in it before diving in that I'd have watched it.

It's a hell of an achievement, though. Yuasa and Choi are incredible.

Good lord. I can't believe Netflix put their name on this! That first episode is something else.

Yuasa's fluid take on the human body is absolutely perfect for this kind of grotesque body horror.

I like the staccato storytelling, too. It's full of non-sequitur sequences and the dialogue tends to just jump ahead to the big moments rather than flowing like conversations. A couple of times it had montages that don't bother with context. Really adds to the weirdness of the thing so that it's not just the freaky kind of weird.
    Movie Theater Diary

I really dislike the storytelling. I'm too OCD for non-sequitur stuff.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I love the rapping kids.

I love the rapping kids.
    What language was that? Not Japanese. Not English. Sounded South African.

Curious that you don't think it sounded Japanese, because it is. They're voiced by Japanese rappers Ken the 390 and Young Dais.

Movie Theater Diary

Sounds like Japanese to me. Really damn fast Japanese.

Can vouch that even though they make the English translations rhyme, they're somehow really good translations of Japanese rap.

Having only watched a little bit of the (very different) 70s TV anime and not having read Nagai's manga, do the rapping kids have an analogue in the source?

This series does really cool stuff with the idea of textual adaptation.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Can vouch that even though they make the English translations rhyme, they're somehow really good translations of Japanese rap.
    So I've been watching the English track, and they left the rapping kids in Japanese, so I was really surprised when in Ep 4 we suddenly got an English language rap, and it's far from half-assed. They put in a lot of work in releasing this for the English market. Which I guess makes sense since Netflix commissioned this to be a worldwide release.
    Movie Theater Diary

The same studio that funded and released new VeggieTales funded and released Devilman Crybaby. What a world.

Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    The same studio that funded and released new VeggieTales funded and released Devilman Crybaby. What a world.
    LOL! Gamblers of Canto Bight.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Curious that you don't think it sounded Japanese, because it is. They're voiced by Japanese rappers Ken the 390 and Young Dais.

HA!

I guess it's the same when I listen to the Beatles they don't sound British.

Dunno. SMH.

I have to wonder if anyone at Netflix even saw this before it was released. This shit is straight up nasty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast