View Poll Results: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 55.56%
  • Nay

4 44.44%

Thread: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Jake Kasdan)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Jake Kasdan)

JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Director: Jake Kasdan

imdb

So I was originally planning on just skipping this, when I had it suddenly come recommended to me by a number of people. So I figured what the hell and gave it a shot, and surprisingly enough, it actually lived up to the praise. Highly entertaining stuff here!

A friend and I were burning through some gift cards so we ended up seeing this. And... I agree, this was a lot better than it had any right being.

It definitely stinks of a spec script about kids being sucked into a videogame getting sold and converted into a Jumanji reboot/sequel thing. It being a Jumanji thing is the weirdest thing about it. As a videogame movie with a lot of self-aware gaming humor (character stats, NPCs, the concept of "game over" and etc.), I thought it was a lot of fun. Good production values for the most part, too. The overuse of CGI is pretty whack, obviously, but a lot of the location shooting and the practical work (e.g. The Rock delivering a good old fashioned beat down on faceless enemies) delivers, and some of the CGI even works well enough in a cartoon/videogame way. The cast works together pretty well. It's fun and charming. It gets predictably dopey when it reaches hard for some kind of message or relevancy (we always only have one life, hahaha) but I suppose that's the nature of a kid's movie. Thor: Ragnarok scratched the big budget action/comedy itch for me in 2017 but this was a nice little surprise as well.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

- - - - -
    This was generic and forgettable. They had good performers, a great location, nice production values---and exactly zero new ideas.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I didn't think this was very good (I enjoyed the first one more) but upon reflection, I was surprised how many times I laughed. Some of the Jack Black lines and the Rock smoldering were the highlights, which again is surprising since Kevin Hart is entirely forgettable. With this, and Jurassic World, the key to making a billion dollars without making a super hero movie is making your movie as generic as possible.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?