View Poll Results: Phantom Thread

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

23 85.19%
  • Nay

4 14.81%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I think beyond the lack of "exuberance," Anderson's most recent films come across as increasingly insular. These later films are less interested in the broad human experience and more tailored for the interests of a very specific type of intellectual white male. Not to say this is an outright knock, but I think Anderson's waning interest in appealing to a more diverse audience comes across in his later movies
    Well, my non-white-male girlfriend would completely beg to differ. She thought Phantom Thread was one of the best and most profoundly feminist films she's ever seen. She literally said she felt like it was made for her. Doesn't sound particularly insularly white and male to me.
    Last edited by Milky Joe; 01-24-2018 at 02:15 AM.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Boogie Nights and Magnolia (and even Hard Eight) have this incredibly infectious energy to them—they epitomize youth and verve and swagger and ecstatic excitement at the tools of cinema, and I don't think it would even be possible for an older (not-coked-up?) PTA to replicate. It's unfair to compare them, IMHO.

The Master and Phantom Thread are both just as ecstatic and rapturous as his 90s stuff, just mellower and more level-headed. Less surface swagger, and with far more philosophical depth.
    First of all, I don't think he ever had a drug problem. Secondly, I'm not arguing that Anderson's early films are necessarily better than his later ones; I'm just saying I can't be objective. I love Magnolia the same way I love No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom (and to a slightly lesser extent Return of Saturn). That said, I still don't think Phantom Thread is a masterpiece just on its own merits for the reason I stated earlier.

As for philosophical depth, I've never understood why people expect talented filmmakers to also be great thinkers. Surely, if we continue to value, say, Krzyzstof Kieślowski's films it's not because the ideas in them are especially profound but because he was a master storyteller who could dramatize his ideas in a compelling fashion.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I hear you on the objectivity thing. And if you asked me which PTA movie I want to fire up right now it would be Boogie Nights without a moments hesitation.

Re: philosophical depth, though, Art isn't about thinking. I don't mean that these movies are good because PTA had many deep thoughts and heavy concepts to weigh in on. Artists are vehicles, and late PTA has created worlds in which complex characters bounce around in response to one another. Thus they are reflective of real direct human experience, reality as an endless funhouse maze of meaning, arranged with effortless technical mastery. And like reality itself, they can never be fully resolved. It's no wonder he made a film from Pynchon–he does the same with his novels. They are working in the same arena. Pure Cinema–I dunno how else to put it.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

On a different note, I'm surprised at how different Greenwood's scores have been across the board for the different PTA movies. I would've thought it was a different composer. The piano really elevates this particular movie.

I'll have to rewatch, but it's been sitting very well with me. Seems like it'll be a perfect winter-coffee movie when it's too cold to go outside.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Let's play the ranking game!

1. The Master
    2. Inherent Vice
    3. Punch-Drunk Love
    4. Phantom Thread (tentative ranking)
    5. There Will Be Blood
    6. Boogie Nights
    7. Magnolia
    8. Hard Eight

This is really, really hard.

1. The Master
    2. Boogie Nights
    3. Phantom Thread
    4. Punch Drunk Love
    5. There Will Be Blood
    6. Magnolia
    7. Inherent Vice
    8. Hard Eight

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Let's play the ranking game!
    1. Magnolia
    2. Punch-Drunk Love
    3. Boogie Nights
    4. There Will Be Blood
    5. Hard Eight
    6. The Master
    7. Phantom Thread

It's been ages since I've seen either Hard Eight or Punch-Drunk Love, so they're liable to move up or down whenever I get around revisiting them. I've not seen Inherent Vice, but the book bored me to distraction.
    Just because...

The (New) World

1. Boogie Nights
    2. There Will Be Blood
    3. Phantom Thread
    4. The Master
    5. Inherent Vice
    6. Magnolia
    7. Hard Eight
    8. Punch Drunk Love

Boogie Nights
    Magnolia
    There Will Be Blood

*** 1/2
    Punchdrunk Love

Phantom Thread
    The Master

** 1/2
    Hard Eight

* 1/2
    Inherent Vice

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

1. Boogie Nights
    2. Magnolia
    3. Punch-Drunk Love
    4. There Will Be Blood
    5. The Master
    6. Phantom Thread
    7. Inherent Vice
    8. Hard Eight
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Tier 1:
    1. Magnolia
    2. Punch-Drunk Love
    3. Boogie Nights
    4. There Will Be Blood

Not Tier 1:
    5. The Master
    6. Hard Eight
    7. Phantom Thread
    8. Inherent Vice
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

DavidSeven and I are in complete agreement, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

They're all masterpieces.

Next.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Excellent:

Everything but Inherent Vice

Crap:

Inherent Vice
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Excellent:

Everything but Inherent Vice

Crap:

Inherent Vice
    COMPLETE AGREEMENT

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What's wrong with Inherent Vice?

Yeah, I'm not getting the Inherent Vice hate either. :\

My nay is articulated well by this article. I agree with DavidSeven that the filmmaking is insular.

Here are the first two paragraphs of the article:

In the post-Weinstein era, we look around at the carnage of shattered lives and wonder how we got here. What a poor time for the release of Paul Thomas Anderson’s Phantom Thread, which pushes the narrative that geniuses are on some level allowed to be abusive. If your work is beautiful enough, your soul can be made of scabs and darkness. The world excuses so much if you’re talented and male.

As we regard the allegations coming out of Hollywood, old school anecdotes of bullying creators feel less charming and more ominous. To Anderson’s credit, his tale of a tyrannical fashion designer does have a thread of criticism, as its female lead pushes back and declares Reynolds Woodcock (60-year-old Daniel Day-Lewis) is “a spoiled baby.” Still, there is a stark power imbalance between the two, both within the plot and the structuring, that cannot be ignored or overcome. Phantom Thread will try to convince you that in the amusing muse Alma (34-year-old Vicky Krieps), Reynolds’ has at long last met his match. Anderson’s script, however, only ever considers her in the context of him.

I can't speak to the film but the book is fairly tedious. Pynchon either doesn't have the skills to pull off a passable detective yarn or doesn't want to, but even if it's the latter, the book is too bogged down by its complicated plot to work as something else (nor is it funny enough to qualify as a genre parody). Basically, it feels like the work of someone who simply doesn't give a shit about what he's doing.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Two astoundingly bad takes in a row. I wish I cared enough to do more than shake my head.

Two astoundingly bad takes in a row. I wish I cared enough to do more than shake my head.
    Ah, the flame-throwing Internet. Delightful.

Producer
    Ah yes, assessing a film with The Way We Live Now mindset, my favorite kind of criticism.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

As if the way we live now has nothing to say. As if the Great White American Male Filmmakers were making films in a vacuum. Yes, let’s pretend shall we?

Producer
    It's such a bewildering notion to me as a foreigner when I first started to read reviews, and then many of that kind have grown more and more self-satisfied over the years. Maybe if most of them are better, not adoptiong the tone of Great Patronizing Voice of Truth. Those first two paragraphs are enough for me when the second directly contradicts the first, and that's not to mention how the film itself disabuses that reading even further.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    It's such a bewildering notion to me as a foreigner when I first started to read reviews, and then many of that kind have grown more and more self-satisfied over the years. Maybe if most of them are better, not adoptiong the tone of Great Patronizing Voice of Truth. Those first two paragraphs are enough for me when the second directly contradicts the first, and that's not to mention how the film itself disabuses that reading even further.
    I had a hard time picking which paragraphs to quote because the argument unfolds in the review and there is not a zinger summation paragraph. If you read on, she’s actually pretty even-handed in giving Anderson his due. She still thinks the film is problematic in its portrayal of women. I agree with her. Calling a female dissenting voice Patronizing is exactly the point she’s trying to make. Men have a hard time listening to a perspective which reveals the darker side to their Great Artists. Anderson is sympathetic to the abusive, narcissist artist in the film. Why else make the woman a foil for his transformation?
    Last edited by Dillard; 01-26-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast