View Poll Results: Phantom Thread

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

23 85.19%
  • Nay

4 14.81%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Yep. It's great.

Saw it in 70mm and the whole look of the film is gorgeous as if this was some lost film from the 70's. I really don't see movies look like this anymore.

Also, the score is incredible.
    Last edited by Watashi; 12-30-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Day lewis oscar lock?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Day lewis oscar lock?
    He's terrific and will get a nomination, but nah, Oldman is looking like the clear frontrunner.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Errand Boy
    I don't really understand PTA's scriptwriting anymore. His movies after Punch-Drunk Love feel so aimless to me, and the characters too thinly sketched. I appreciate individual components like Greenwood's score, but my experience watching the movie leaves me so apathetic.

I don't think you understand what a good movie is, Weems.

This is a good movie.
    Last edited by Watashi; 12-31-2017 at 12:22 AM.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Errand Boy
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I don't think you understand what a good movie is, Weems.

This is a good movie.
    I think a movie can have great technical merits, strong acting, and still be nigh worthless. Too many directors nowadays have no sense of the total impression of their movie; they're like novelists who can write the occasional striking sentence, but can't write a strong chapter, much less an entire book.

Also, did you find "Fucking chic!?" funny? Because that's emblematic to me of how lazy much of the purported humor and writing in this movie is.
    Last edited by Weems; 12-31-2017 at 02:25 AM.

That was a jab against you at your silly one-off criticisms of well-liked films digging through your posting history. Ex. you gave Dunkirk a 1/10 because it didn't "have a story (uh, who the fuck cares? some of the greatest films ever made don't have stories; movies are not novels). What directors do you think have any sense of their impression of their movie.

Also, "fucking chic" is no different from "Pigfuck" or "I drink your milkshake!"

It's funny.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Errand Boy
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    That was a jab against you at your silly one-off criticisms of well-liked films digging through your posting history. Ex. you gave Dunkirk a 1/10 because it didn't "have a story (uh, who the fuck cares? some of the greatest films ever made don't have stories; movies are not novels). What directors do you think have any sense of their impression of their movie.

Also, "fucking chic" is no different from "Pigfuck" or "I drink your milkshake!"

It's funny.
    And those weren't good lines either. Scorsese and Tarantino to answer your question. As for the idea that great films can not have stories, I think that's absurd in the extreme and just modernist delusion.
    Last edited by Weems; 12-31-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Seeing this on Tuesday.

My body is ready.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Beautiful. Just beautiful. I don't wanna gush since I just left the theater, but this is my movie of the year.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 01-11-2018 at 10:41 PM.

As much as I liked the film, I can't help but regret Anderson's reliance on Hitchcock and Bergman as models, which tends to preclude him from making any fresh discoveries of his own. Given what Lesley Manville does in her films with Mike Leigh, where she invents her characters from scratch, it's a little sad to see her reduced to replicating Judith Anderson's performance as Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Not my favorite P.T. Anderson movie, but I am filled with admiration that he created something so unexpected and so seemingly outside of his comfort zone. I suppose by that I mean that he's made a movie that is fierce and gripping without the use of sexuality or violence. It's not exactly Merchant-Ivory, but repressed emotions and biting language become the focus and the three lead actors are straight-up extraordinary in making the whole thing seem plausible and engaging. The ending is fine. A little bit pat and cute perhaps. But still, I was left with a lot to think about and remember fondly.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

This movie is like a Sunday Brunch.

Plenty to like about it. Laughs throughout. Exquisite to look at, listen to, and admire. You kind of just move on as there isn't really anything to it that's going to stick with me for the longterm, and that's fine. You can add Woodcock to the list of other great PTA characters, which is due to Daniel Day-Lewis knocking another performance out of the park.

This is a step up from the very disappointing Inherent Vice, and back on par with The Master. I don't know if PTA will ever get back to masterpiece level, but he can certainly show that he's got some gas left.

I was wondering if PTA was aiming to hit every decade as I wasn't completely sure if this was late 40's or not, but turned out it was similar period as The Master, so there goes that line of thinking.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

DDL was good, for sure, but is nowhere near Lincoln or There Will Be Blood caliber. Can't help but feel it'd be a waste to nominate him this time out.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    This is a step up from the very disappointing Inherent Vice, and back on par with The Master. I don't know if PTA will ever get back to masterpiece level, but he can certainly show that he's got some gas left.
    The Master isn't masterpiece level?

This is a film I couldn't have had less interest in given the subject matter, but I was engrossed from very early on. I agree with Wats in that it feels like a movie out of time. I kept thinking it felt like Max Ophuls made a movie in 2017. It's so tactile and imbued with so much feeling. I'm not sure what led him to make this film, but I'm glad he did.

I also enjoyed seeing a more restrained performance from DDL. I think this is nearly as impressive a performance as There Will Be Blood, just in a different way.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    The Master isn't masterpiece level?

This is a film I couldn't have had less interest in given the subject matter, but I was engrossed from very early on. I agree with Wats in that it feels like a movie out of time. I kept thinking it felt like Max Ophuls made a movie in 2017. It's so tactile and imbued with so much feeling. I'm not sure what led him to make this film, but I'm glad he did.

I also enjoyed seeing a more restrained performance from DDL. I think this is nearly as impressive a performance as There Will Be Blood, just in a different way.
    There's some fascinating scenes in The Master, but I certainly don't go back to it like I do for Boogie Nights-There Will Be Blood era. I may have watched the full thing twice is all.

Absolutely agree on the subject matter. Thank goodness it had PTA and DDL on it. I don't think I was ever 'bored' from beginning to end.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

PT Anderson is weird because he seems to be a shapeshifter of a director. Its been to long for me to accurately reflect on Hard Eight, but Boogie Nights seems to be a Scorsese riff (Goodfellas and Raging Bull specifically). Then Magnolia seems to be Scorsese by way of Altman and Kieslowski. Then there is kind of a shift with Punch Drunk Love, which I'm not sure what type of movie it is riffing on, but there definitely seems to be some nascent signs of Kubrick which really came out in There Will Be Blood. The Master is some more Kubrick riffage, although maybe less pronounced than TWBB. Inherent Vice goes back to Altman, specifically The Long Goodbye and the Coens' The Big Lebowski. Apparently, Phantom Thread feels like an 80s Merchant Ivory movie, but I haven't seen it yet, so I'll reserve judgement.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Vicky Krieps vs. DDL is some great shit. DAMN.

Phantom Thread is as classic as it gets really. I've seen many say Hitchcock, but it's been so long since i've seen Rebecca that I don't notice that at all.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Regarding the issue of which Anderson films are or are not masterpieces, I'll just be upfront and say that, for me, nothing he makes in the future is likely to top his first four films (some of which are arguably just as derivative as Phantom Thread, if not more so) simply because I saw them when I was a teenager.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Perfection.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Regarding the issue of which Anderson films are or are not masterpieces, I'll just be upfront and say that, for me, nothing he makes in the future is likely to top his first four films (some of which are arguably just as derivative as Phantom Thread, if not more so) simply because I saw them when I was a teenager.
    I feel that way about Boogie Nights (I was in college when Magnolia came out, which maybe explains why I was more 'meh' about it...at that point I was getting into older films). Everytime he makes a new movie, I'm like "eh it's no Boogie Nights" although TWBB and Punch Drunk Love have quite a bit of rewatch / staying power.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Boogie Nights and Magnolia (and even Hard Eight) have this incredibly infectious energy to them—they epitomize youth and verve and swagger and ecstatic excitement at the tools of cinema, and I don't think it would even be possible for an older (not-coked-up?) PTA to replicate. It's unfair to compare them, IMHO.

The Master and Phantom Thread are both just as ecstatic and rapturous as his 90s stuff, just mellower and more level-headed. Less surface swagger, and with far more philosophical depth.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I think beyond the lack of "exuberance," Anderson's most recent films come across as increasingly insular. These later films are less interested in the broad human experience and more tailored for the interests of a very specific type of intellectual white male. Not to say this is an outright knock, but I think Anderson's waning interest in appealing to a more diverse audience comes across in his later movies.

This was better in that respect than Inherent Vice, but I still struggled with it at times, especially in the beginning. The film really started firing when it found some universality in how it portrayed relational conflict and the ebbs and flows of long-term partnerships. It's obviously gorgeous, and it's resonating extremely well for me. Still, I find myself saying, "oh, this is good, but it's not Boogie Nights; it's not Magnolia." Maybe that will never go away.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 01-23-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast