Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Smart House Thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Smart House Thread

With all this time off for Christmas vacation, I've started putting together my smart house. Wondering if anyone else is doing anything cool with Alexa or Google?

The first thing I did was buy a couple of these, which turned on the Christmas lights every night at 5PM and shut them off at 11PM. You could also control them by voice with Alexa or Google by saing "Turn the Christmas tree on".

Next I made it so the house recognizes when I'm home or away; which allows me to set the temperature of Nest automatically. No more heating a house when no one is home. Nest also detects motion, so if anyone of my family members goes to my house when I'm not there, it will act accordingly. The motion detection is especially useful when you are going away for a few days and want to report someone in your home.

The fun part is creating routines that do multiple things at once; like saying "Alexa or Google, Bedtime" which will turn off the TV, dimm the living room lights, turn on the hallway lights and turn on the bedroom lights.

I decided to go with Smartthings as the main hub, because it's compatible with both Z-Wave and Zigbee. But I also have a hue hub in case I want to get any additional Phillips stuff. Been thinking about picking up a bloom for the computer room.

I just ordered one of these which should allow me to dim the lights in addition to shutting them off and on. I bought very specific white lighting, so dimming them is absolutely necessary. THey are way too bright as is.

What i'm finding difficult is getting four way switches to control the lights of the rooms that have four way switches. They don't seem to make any Z-Wave or zigbee switch like this. They also dont seem to make any half switches which makes other things like, fans, difficult to control.

I also planned accordingly when I built the house to allow all my cat6, speaker wire and coax to go to one closet in the living room. So it's pretty easy to set everything up in one area. Still need better cable management though. Anyone else doing anything cool?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Love my Nest thermostat. Will not put in a ‘open mic’ like Alexa or what not.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Love my Nest thermostat. Will not put in a ‘open mic’ like Alexa or what not.
    Pricey concerns?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Don’t care to have something constantly listening / recording what’s going on in the house.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I get that, but what is your concern exactly?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I get that, but what is your concern exactly?
    Its like Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers up in there every other tuesday.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Its like Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers up in there every other tuesday.
    Geez, you really can’t keep a secret, can you?

I have a small place, so I can't really imagine Nest really meaning anything. Although the motion detector inside is nice. Except I have a dog.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I have a small place, so I can't really imagine Nest really meaning anything. Although the motion detector inside is nice. Except I have a dog.
    We have three, and they don't trip the 'Away' feature, at least not yet, and we've had it over a year.

We have three, and they don't trip the 'Away' feature, at least not yet, and we've had it over a year.
    Thing is, if you have the Nest smoke detectors, those detect motion for anything walking under it.

Thing is, if you have the Nest smoke detectors, those detect motion for anything walking under it.
    What benefit do those provide?

What benefit do those provide?
    Same as Thermostat minus the learning habits. Notifies your phone if smoke or CO2 is detected.

So they’re hard wired smoke detectors (which we have) with the added bonus of alerting your phone. May have to look into that.

Yeh but if it wasn't for the motion detection, I wouldn't have bothered with them. They are overpriced.

They light up a path if you walk under them at night with all the lights off. They also do not do those annoying low battery beeps. IT just notifies your phone.

IT just notifies your phone.
    Holy shit that might be worth the price alone.

I'm definitely interested in the Nest Smoke detectors / alarms. I need to put up new ones, and I'll get a couple of those instead.

Not really interested in anything else, until we do some major upgrading in a few years.

Yeh but if it wasn't for the motion detection, I wouldn't have bothered with them. They are overpriced.

They light up a path if you walk under them at night with all the lights off. They also do not do those annoying low battery beeps. IT just notifies your phone.
    I see how people would like the lighted path, I prefer to keep my night vision when I'm letting Ollie out for his 0200 constitutional.

Installed this GE Z-Wave Dimmer today (left switch). Works great, but a weird design with the metal tabs. The instructions say to leave them on if you were installing in a single switch. But to cut them off if dual or tipple switch (compare left side with right). Thought it was strange to include them in the first place.

(Yes I know the 2nd switch is upside down)

Finally got Smartthings working smoothly last night.

"Alex, trigger Sexy Time" now changes the bedroom lights pink.

So Amazon bought Ring huh?

I'm not sure that's going to stop me from adopting Nest though...

Pricing finally released on this.

https://store.nest.com/product/nest-hello/NC5100US

Pretty cool accessory to the thermostat. I preordered one today to see how well it will handle colder areas of the house.

https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-te...nsor/overview/

Pretty cool accessory to the thermostat. I preordered one today to see how well it will handle colder areas of the house.

https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-te...nsor/overview/
    Seems similar to a thing I've got with my Ecobee. I have a small apartment but the thermostat hookup is right behind where my TV is set up and the heat from the TV would fuck with the thermostat, forcing me to adjust my old-school thermostat manually constantly to even things out temperature-wise. I switched to the Ecobee about a year ago because I could have the external sensor elsewhere in the room and tell it to ignore the sensor on the Ecobee unit itself. Definitely a cool feature that I'm somewhat surprised Nest didn't already have.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Pricing finally released on this.

https://store.nest.com/product/nest-hello/NC5100US
    I bought this last week btw. It comes on Thursday. Stoked.

Also bought a few more GE Switches (three way switches)

Added 12 TB NAS to the house yesterday. It's a glorious thing to have data organized. (let me know if you can't see the pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast