Thread: Dark (Season 1)

Dark (Season 1)

Anyone else watching this new German Netflix series that dropped on Dec. 1? The Dark has been favorably compared to Stranger Things but...eh, it's a little stranger than that.

I'm loving it. I'm 5 episodes in, and so far it's fantastic. Definitely gonna demand a rewatch, tho.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Yeah, though I've only watched the first two eps. It's good. I see why it's being compared to Stranger Things just from the premise, but obviously it's a much much different tone and ambition.

The corpses are really disturbing-looking.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I added it but haven't started yet.

The big reveal at the end of episode 5 forced me to rethink a lot of the conclusions I had drawn. The direction and cinematography are aces. Some may complain that it's a little slow, but not me; it's the perfect pace for this type of story.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh damn, watched the first episode of this last night. Caught me off guard. I'm hooked.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Two episodes in. This has easily the best opening credits of any show on Netflix.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Finished it. Difficult to discuss without venturing into spoiler territory. I will say that I'm not normally a fan of the particular plot device used (usually, I don't like it at all). But here, it just works, and works beautifully, and that's a credit to director Baran bo Odar, co-creator Jantje Friese, and a HUGE cast of very talented actors.

I really loved this series, intelligent, thought-provoking science fiction, immaculately staged and filmed. The last few installments of the series just seemed like a game of TV one-upmanship, with an "OK, how crazy can we make this episode?"

Random observation: these motherfuckers love hanging out in some rain.

Just finished episode 5, and yeah, that twist is gonna wreck how I think of Hannah going forward, especially since it should seem obvious to Urlich who leveled the accusation.

That said, the pace has never felt slow (indeed, whereas shows like Runaways feels like it's wheel-spinning for two episodes a go, this one just keeps inverting and subverting expectations). I do wish the show had a little more comfort in having the younger women pursue their feelings and that we'd see more of what goes on from their point of view, rather than from the boys that they choose. I note that, of course, while also reflecting on Hannah now. But Martha and Franziska are seen more than they're felt so far.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I do wish the show had a little more comfort in having the younger women pursue their feelings and that we'd see more of what goes on from their point of view.
    Wish fulfillment is on the horizon!

And done with season 1. For me, no better moment existed for this series than the climax of episode 8[
    ] The ballsiness of that sequence, the speed with which it occurred and wasn't philosophized over, was a testament to the design of the showrunners committing to a "solution" only to reveal it as empty later. For me, nothing in the final two episodes matched that power, and Noah's reveal in the finale[
    ] though I think the show is smart to get Jonas into a new time-period where he's not haunted by immediate relations.

Thanks for getting this on our horizon, Russ, glad that we checked it out.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

On episode 5- still such a mystery!

Stupid question- Did Mikkel write the same letter to the nurse and his brother?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    For me, no better moment existed for this series than the climax of episode 8[
    ]

Bonkers!!