View Poll Results: Like or dislike this movie, did you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Force is strong with this franchise.

26 63.41%
  • Execute Order 66.

15 36.59%
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)

If Johnson was doing Episode IX as well, I'd just go ahead and quit with this one.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)

Did Johnson write Episode VIII? If so, I’m glad he’s gone. Pity about the replacement though, because even though Jedi is actively bad and thus provokes discussion, Awakens is just bland.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    If Johnson was doing Episode IX as well, I'd just go ahead and quit with this one.
    Nah you wouldn't. And I'm not getting hooked by ya haters lol. Its fine, like/dislike whatever you want.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I think a Star Wars series guided by the sensibilities of distinct writer/directors would be an interesting idea, so even though I think The Last Jedi is excellent, I'd want to see someone else take a turn at the wheel.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Yeh that makes the Last Jedi seem really really bad. Everything after the Vacation bit; especially the "plan" of abandoning the cruise ship and hide on the planet.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, I ended up actually watching the whole the other night, and as much as there are some decent gags and it's entertainingly edited, it just feels like a tiring, relentless probing of something for plot holes (I could not care less) and pointing out "faults" by comparing it against other movie's templates and characters' arcs to justify why it didn't work for them for the sake of being a killjoy, and one who's already established a brand of making lengthy, vile critiques of Star Wars movies rather than having any direct inspiration from this particular one to do so. It just feels so weird and insipid to want to tread all of these soiled waters eight months after this sector of criticisms against it (which in the grand scheme of feelings towards it, still feel like a very vocal minority) already had such an unpleasant stench to it. I get that Plinkett is kinda sort of a character, but people eat it up and treat it like some edgy gospel when it comes to Star Wars Criticism On The Internet™, and it'll just provide further ammo for its dissenters to parrot as if their own criticisms.

I like Force Awakens a lot, but I increasingly feel like it's that film's fault for providing so much of a comfort in familiar structure, franchise trope, and other warm, cozy elements to rely on that it made all the deliberately jarring turns in Last Jedi break brains (or at least needlessly aggravate and provoke people) when it really shouldn't have.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeh that makes the Last Jedi seem really really bad. Everything after the Vacation bit; especially the "plan" of abandoning the cruise ship and hide on the planet.
    I mean, obviously it's a knowingly glib and cheap shot at it to be like "Oh, these characters are dumb like in comedies!" as if the film itself is a humourless dirge that hasn't always had main characters who included sassy robots, hot-headed blowhards, and wise-cracking puppets. But really if things like his "Point A to Point B" issues are really things that are occupying your thinking as you're watching the movie or even reflecting on it after, instead of the gorgeous grandeur and kinetic spectacle and being swept up in all the emotions of it in between, then clearly we are very different people and maybe this was never going to work for you. It's a movie that's blown me away all three times I've seen it, its finale leaving me smiling ear to ear in an absolutely, gloriously overwhelmed state in a haze of tears and all-around warmth and contentment, with a revived love for this world and its characters, but apparently I guess I should've gotten caught up in the minutiae of why certain escape plans were wrongly executed the way they were.

Like, at this point something like the whole "Holdo should've told Poe the plan" thing is such a exhausted, entitled argument both against the film's script and her as a character within the story. I don't even care to understand why someone would hold onto it so passionately. Imagine spending so much time and energy on something you hate. I wouldn't have even written a post this long if I didn't genuinely love the movie!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

What's annoying me is that a lot of people online are starting to try out the defense of "Plinkett is satire."

This is similar to the unconvincing rehab of CinemaSins as "satire."

Satire exaggerates a position or argument to such a degree that the entirety becomes absurd and laughable and not to be taken seriously. Classic examples are Jonathan Swift and Dr. Strangelove. But CinemaSins and Plinkett are more in the business of actual film criticism. Just because a person alternates between self-owns and tear-downs doesn't mean that person has achieved satire. What it can often mean, though, is that they're trying to burn the bridges of good-faith discourse; leaning back whenever someone leans in, and responding with, "Hey, bro, it's just a joke."

None of that is an attack on this video in specific.

I just don't like when defenders try to excuse any shortcomings with "it's satire."

Someone online put it better than I could by comparing this declaration of satire to Michael Scott "declaring" bankruptcy by shouting it real loud.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    The Prequel reviews were great because they were a) original & b) necessary. They were utterly savage and pulled no punches about how terrible those movies were.

Now, a decade on, everyone on YT is imitating Plinkett. All you need is to log in to YT to be recommended 30 videos about how TLJ was a complete cinematic failure. It's schtick now, unnecessary. I'd like to see a feature length review that shows why it's the best Star Wars ever. That would at least be different.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Who has the time to watch that?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It’s always amusing how angry TLJ fans get with people who don’t like it.

“glib... cheap....tiring.....relentless ”
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I recently watched it a second time and I was shocked how bored I was compared to the first time around. I definitely do not get the same sense of excitement as I do with TOT. It's just way too long.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I recently watched it a second time and I was shocked how bored I was compared to the first time around. I definitely do not get the same sense of excitement as I do with TOT. It's just way too long.
    It’s a very poorly constructed film. I mean, Luke’s pivotal character turn to a bitter, depressed mentor is not necessarily a bad thing - but it is literally dealt with in three repeated flashbacks totaling about 3 minutes. And then he decides to do his big diversion, but of course doesn’t actually tell the “rebels” what he is planning... instead they are somehow supposed to figure it out on their own so that the film can have its gotcha moment. It’s all sizzle, absolutely no steak. But for fans, that’s all “nitpicking” because the throne room was red and Kurosawaesque or something.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 08-31-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It’s always amusing how angry TLJ fans get with people who don’t like it.

“glib... cheap....tiring.....relentless ”
    The fans are the one who are angry?

Do... do... you live under a rock?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    The fans are the one who are angry?

Do... do... you live under a rock?
    Literally look a few posts up. More than one group of people can be angry at the same time, no?

The group of Star Wars fans who think Johnson shat all over their precious franchise just for kicks are just as amusing but they don’t seem to hang around here.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 08-31-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Last time I checked, people who enjoy a movie don't send death threats and send sexual and racist remarks towards the creator and actors at every possible mention of the movie.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Also how did anything Henry or DaMu post come off as "angry" to you??
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Last time I checked, people who enjoy a movie don't send death threats and send sexual and racist remarks towards the creator and actors at every possible mention of the movie.
    No shit. I'm not defending them. They are dicks. But as someone who dislikes the movie, it gets tiring fast being lumped in with those idiots as if criticizing TLJ is a sign of having ulterior motives or being a serial nitpicker or something along those lines. And it is very clear that a lot of TLJ defenders online are very happy to attack the characters of those all those who criticize as crazed fanboys or nitpicky neckbeards who refuse to have fun.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Honestly, I thought HG was making specific commentary about RedLetterMedia. I mean, I've been reading a lot of tweets from RLM fans who thought this was one of their weaker efforts , and RLM dropped the ball pretty hard with their commentary on The Force Awakens. The Plinkett persona in general seems to have run its course.

(That Force Awakens video put me off to RLM in general, as they spent half the time talking about the fanbase instead of the movie and spent the back half making empty points against the movie's diversity before stating that Finn and Rey needed a stronger romantic relationship. It felt really weird. Lazy and bro-y.)

And HG is right about the parroting of RLM. That groupthink among its fans is so ubiquitous it's a meme at this point. On Reddit, whenever a video drops, one of the first and most top-voted comments will be something like, "Great, now I know how to feel about this movie."

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    But as someone who dislikes the movie, it gets tiring fast being lumped in with those idiots as if criticizing TLJ is a sign of having ulterior motives or being a serial nitpicker or something along those lines.
    Oh, how could anyone ever think such things about you?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Oh, how could anyone ever think such things about you?
    There you go.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I don't know how anyone could listen to that voice for more than 30 seconds, let alone over an hour. Even if he was shredding a movie I hated. That voice is a cheese grater on my shin.

Liked it the first time, appreciated it even more when I saw it again a few days ago. It got me hyped again for the finale next week. Although some of my 2017 criticisms haven't evaporated, in the end, this is the one which takes chances, the one which feels a bit more unshackled from previous entries in the saga. And that's sitting very well with me now.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I watched it again. It's still fucking great. Best one since the og. trilogy and it's not even close (and yes I'm including the stand alone "prequels" or whatever we are calling them). Most of the flaws now seem excessively nitpicky and even things like the wild goose chase to the Casino Planet place (forget its name) seems like an elaborate excuse for Rose to throw a metaphorical molotov cocktail on the place where she grew up and abused her (class warfare).

I'm not even that big of a Rian Johnson fan (my hot take is this is his best movie by far) but he directs the hell out of this. Memorable shot after memorable shot and some great Spielbergian oners. So many great lines ("we are what they grow beyond", "let the past die, kill it if you have to", "it's all machine partner, live free don't join", "page turners they are not" etc etc).

This is a great motion picture.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6