View Poll Results: Like or dislike this movie, did you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Force is strong with this franchise.

26 63.41%
  • Execute Order 66.

15 36.59%
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)

Darth Maul is a fantastic concept that was dully written and horribly executed. I was so disappointed that the movie didn't meet my mind's eye of his 3-second trailer piece.

I think Kylo Ren works great, and is executed well UNTIL we get to know him more. Then he comes across as whiny to me. Should've kept the mask on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    1:35- how many arms does she have?

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It was better on a rewatch. No longer a nay.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I've watched the clip three times and I don't understand the question. 2?

Honestly I only posted it for the deleted scene. I didn't watch the rest of the video.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Shouldn't have been cut

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    The bonus documentaries on the release are so good. The Director and the Jedi is probably the best documentary ever produced about the making of a massive blockbuster. You get a feel for how incredibly ambitious it actually was. The animatronics and puppeteer work and commitment to combining practical effects with location sets and top notch CG was truly astonishing and admirable.

Watching Serkis's raw performance (a great bonus feature) gave me new appreciation for what he does. There's a reason he's like the only guy in that game.

It's sad to see how much intense love, thought, and labour went into this production only to have so many people shit on it. It's the best Star Wars movie, period. I cannot wait for RJ's trilogy, to see what he'll do when he isn't saddled with that weakass shit JJ gave him to work with.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    It's sad to see how much intense love, thought, and labour went into this production only to have so many people shit on it.
    Many of the films you (and anyone else) shit on also had a lot of thought and love behind them. It means nothing when it comes to judging a film.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'd rather shed a tear for the filmmakers who can't get their movies seen by anyone because shitty Disney movies are taking up all the screens.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I'd rather shed a tear for the filmmakers who can't get their movies seen by anyone because shitty Disney movies are taking up all the screens.
    Ain't that the truth. Such a silly film this is.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Don't cry for them, they're already dead.

I like the Last Jedi. I whole heck of a lot. But probably most movies are labors of love for a lot of people involved in them, so that's a really weak defense.

Staying strictly within the realm of Hollywood blockbusters, no, I don't think so.

I should add, because I wrote that post quickly on a phone at 3am, that with the 'labor of love' comment I was actually referring specifically to the Canto Bight scene—the scene that everyone claims, laughably, should have been cut—not the movie as a whole. I would hate to be the prosthetic workers and actors and makeup and animatronics who did unbelievably great work bringing that scene to fruition, only for a bunch of nerds to say it shouldn't exist or that it ruined their childhoods or whatever other nonsense people say.
    Last edited by Milky Joe; 03-21-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I'm not saying there aren't some people in Hollywood who just want to put in a day's work to get a check and go home, or execs or people in creative positions that think really cynically about their product, but I also think a lot of people working on prosthetics or CGI or lighting or set design or cinematography or whatever on even universally-understood-as-bad movies try to bring the best they have to their craft and some really believe in the projects they're working on.

(Also, I like the Canto Bight sequence a lot.)

"How dare you criticize this movie that so many dedicated and talented people in animatronics, CGI and puppeteering contributed to? Now allow me to shit on this JJ Abrams movie that used a whole bunch of the same people! Clearly, they tried harder the second time!"
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    "How dare you criticize this movie that so many dedicated and talented people in animatronics, CGI and puppeteering contributed to? Now allow me to shit on this JJ Abrams movie that used a whole bunch of the same people! Clearly, they tried harder the second time!"
    Well, they clearly had much better direction anyway.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Shouldn't have been cut

Nice. Tom Hardy as a storm trooper. Decent tension too with a good pay off.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    lol

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yes, Disney is cockblocking filmmakers. No one can ever make a movie because of Disney.

Jesus Christ, you people sometimes.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I should add, because I wrote that post quickly on a phone at 3am, that with the 'labor of love' comment I was actually referring specifically to the Canto Bight scene—the scene that everyone claims, laughably, should have been cut—not the movie as a whole. I would hate to be the prosthetic workers and actors and makeup and animatronics who did unbelievably great work bringing that scene to fruition, only for a bunch of nerds to say it shouldn't exist or that it ruined their childhoods or whatever other nonsense people say.
    To me, this line of thinking makes absolutely no sense as a way to discuss a film and is more in line with fanboy deification (only in your case, your fanboyism is with the "magic" of the film-making process itself) than what the "bunch of nerds" you try to paint people who don't like the movie as profess. At least in their case, they are concerned with the consistency of the textual elements of the saga (like character, for instance), not whether some guy who got paid real well was able to see his work up on the screen. I mean, if they are torn apart by the prospect of certain scenes they worked hard on not being in a movie, then probably working on a movie set is not for them, no?
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 03-21-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yes, Disney is cockblocking filmmakers. No one can ever make a movie because of Disney.

Jesus Christ, you people sometimes.
    Dude, the problem of screens is real. Remember what happened when Hateful Eight and Force Awakens opened at the same time?

Relevant to the Disney/Star Wars discussion:

Nation Reaffirms Commitment to Things They Recognize
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    At least in their case, they are concerned with the consistency of the textual elements of the saga (like character, for instance)
    What, do you think I'm not concerned with that as well? A brief post on one aspect of the film that seemed newly important to me after watching the behind-the-scenes stuff (essentially, the best & most artful cinematic special effects I have ever seen, waaaay better than TFA or the prequels (fucking LOL), even if they were the essentially same people) does not represent the entirety of my feelings toward the film—just the one aspect.

As it happens, I am absolutely concerned with "the consistency of the textual elements of the saga (like character)" more than anything, & in that regard 'they' (basement nerds and the 'too-cool-by-half') are utterly, spectacularly wrong. "Ruin Johnson" fucking nailed it.
    Last edited by Milky Joe; 03-22-2018 at 12:02 AM.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I'm not saying there aren't some people in Hollywood who just want to put in a day's work to get a check and go home, or execs or people in creative positions that think really cynically about their product, but I also think a lot of people working on prosthetics or CGI or lighting or set design or cinematography or whatever on even universally-understood-as-bad movies try to bring the best they have to their craft and some really believe in the projects they're working on.
    For whatever my anecdotal evidence is worth, no production I've ever been on was dominantly composed of cynical people. It is so difficult to break into the business, to make the connections, to develop your skills, and then to be involved with any kind of legitimate production. If there is cynicism, you won't find it in the craftspeople working in all the below-the-line departments. At 70 hours of work a week, you simply have to have drive and pride in your work. Otherwise, people notice, and if people notice, you're less likely to network your way to the next job.

It bums me out that more people don't like the film simply on basis that when I connect with a movie, I wish everybody else can have that same positive experience. So when people aren't just disagreeing but disagreeing in an aggressive way, it's frustrating. I want them to be able to see the movie as I saw it. And it can be really tough, especially in a case like this, where the dislike for the movie is so surprisingly vitriolic and personal after I had such a positive and at-times personal reaction to it.

As it happens, I am absolutely concerned with "the consistency of the textual elements of the saga (like character)" more than anything, & in that regard 'they' (basement nerds and the 'too-cool-by-half') are utterly, spectacularly wrong. "Ruin Johnson" fucking nailed it.
    What's with the ad hominems? Why try to stake out a difference in opinion over a film as some kind of personal failing in the opposition. I borderline hated the film, and I don't consider myself either a "basement nerd" (I haven't consumed a single piece of Star Wars entertainment outside of the core films - games, novelizations, TV shows... nothing. Don't give a shit about any of it. Don't give a shit about what is canon or not canon) or "too-cool-by-half". But apparently, that is what I must be to not like this film and find several flaws in the plot and the characterization (example of the latter: a number of defenders love to point out that the whole failed side quest thing is a way to "deepen" Poe's character in terms of him utterly failing to respect chain of command and being too cocky etc., yet after all the shit happens, and he mutinies, bloody Laura Dern and Carrie Fisher just turn to each other and are like, "Poe's all cool though right?/ "Yeah, he's pretty neat." And that's that! What a waste of time.)
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64