View Poll Results: Like or dislike this movie, did you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Force is strong with this franchise.

26 63.41%
  • Execute Order 66.

15 36.59%
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    So when people aren't just disagreeing but disagreeing in an aggressive way, it's frustrating.
    Literally look one post up to see the exact same thing, but from your "side." It happens both ways, you know.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    At least in their case, they are concerned with the consistency of the textual elements of the saga (like character, for instance)...
    Well... sometimes.

This industry has always been about money. With the birth of the big blockbusters, of course the studios shift to mirror that model. I hardly see that the fault of just one studio. Hell, all the majors wish they were Disney.

This is why I'm so thankful for places like Netflix that still keep alive the risky mid-budget filmmaker. And, if the internet is to be believed that the trend of mega-blockbusters will pop one day, then there will be plenty of theater screen space for screenings of the gems lost during "era of super budgets".

Also, how spoiled we are. We live in a time when having a theater in your home is far from unheard of and honestly isn't that expensive. When I was a kid we were all amazed at the one rich kid in our school that had a VCR and one movie.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    What's with the ad hominems? Why try to stake out a difference in opinion over a film as some kind of personal failing in the opposition. I borderline hated the film, and I don't consider myself either a "basement nerd" (I haven't consumed a single piece of Star Wars entertainment outside of the core films - games, novelizations, TV shows... nothing. Don't give a shit about any of it. Don't give a shit about what is canon or not canon) or "too-cool-by-half". But apparently, that is what I must be to not like this film and find several flaws in the plot and the characterization (example of the latter: a number of defenders love to point out that the whole failed side quest thing is a way to "deepen" Poe's character in terms of him utterly failing to respect chain of command and being too cocky etc., yet after all the shit happens, and he mutinies, bloody Laura Dern and Carrie Fisher just turn to each other and are like, "Poe's all cool though right?/ "Yeah, he's pretty neat." And that's that! What a waste of time.)
    Honestly I'm not really talking about you. I'm not surprised that you didn't like it—I can't exactly remember you going gaga for any of these tent-pole comic/sci-fi movies, though you sure do like complaining about them—nor do I care.

I'm talking about the millions of numbskulls across the internet, some of whom are literally calling for Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy to be killed, or less dramatically, that Star Wars has been ruined, the character of Luke Skywalker has been destroyed, etc. That "Cancerous Feminism" has invaded their beloved movie franchise and destroyed their childhood. That Rose is fat and ugly. Etc etc. These are the people driving the online discourse surrounding this film, and they are who I'm talking about. And they deserve ad hominems thrown their way.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    These are the people driving the online discourse surrounding this film, and they are who I'm talking about.
    I don't believe this part is true. Those people exist, yes, but they are easily ignored. To me, the people driving the discourse around the film are those who are actively dividing people into two groups - those that like it and those that don't, and then inventing a narrative around the perceived failings of the people in the group to which they do not belong, whether it be dismissing elitist critics or Disney shills, or railing against butthurt fanboys or people who don't appreciate cinema. That's what is driving a lot of film discussion these days, not just for this film, but most of the big budget stuff.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Relevant to the Disney/Star Wars discussion:

Nation Reaffirms Commitment to Things They Recognize
    I would say this article is accurate for something like Rogue One.
    I
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I would say this article is accurate for something like Rogue One.
    I
    Huh? Rogue One is hardly a typical rehash of already seen Star Wars stuff.

I enjoyed The Last Jedi and I am also concerned about the trends related to the contemporary dominance of the franchise output of one particular media company occupying the vast majority of screens.

Having finally re-watched The Force Awakens, I can safely come back here and say in response to

Quote Quoting DavidSeven
    How dare you criticize this movie that so many dedicated and talented people in animatronics, CGI and puppeteering contributed to? Now allow me to shit on this JJ Abrams movie that used a whole bunch of the same people! Clearly, they tried harder the second time!
    ...that in fact yes, lol, TFA was completely blown out of the water by TLJ in terms of special effects. The former feels hollow and lazy in comparison. I place the praise / blame on this due solely to the ambition of the script and the quality of direction (or lack thereof). The Last Jedi is a high-water mark.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Neat compilation (with side-by-side comparison gifs) of the many cinematic references / inspirations in TLJ:

https://nerdist.com/star-wars-the-la...rk-twin-peaks/

Dunno about 99% of those.

Well you dunno about a whole lot in general so I'm not surprised

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Nearly all of them are explained in-article as being the result of deliberate nods from production heads. The Citizen Kane one may be a reach, but most of them aren't.

Well you dunno about a whole lot in general so I'm not surprised
    Ok?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Ok?
    joe is a radicalized, militant Last Jedi adherent who would have the likes of us rounded up and “re-educated” (“Blue milk is life, blue milk is power. Squeeze that udder!”) for failing to accept every part of the gospel as the Word of Rian. So keep that in mind.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 03-31-2018 at 02:32 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Nearly all of them are explained in-article as being the result of deliberate nods from production heads. The Citizen Kane one may be a reach, but most of them aren't.
    And here I thought the Citizen Kane one was the most dead-on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

joe is a radicalized, militant Last Jedi adherent who would have the likes of us rounded up and “re-educated” (“Blue milk is life, blue milk is power. Squeeze that udder!”) for failing to accept every part of the gospel as the Word of Rian. So keep that in mind.
    Oh eat a dick. A good friend of mine hated the movie and we have great conversations about it. Duke is just an idiot (as D_Davis's getting fed up and leaving can attest to). Plus I think he actually liked the movie?

Oh eat a dick. A good friend of mine hated the movie and we have great conversations about it. Duke is just an idiot (as D_Davis's getting fed up and leaving can attest to). Plus I think he actually liked the movie?
    His comment was harmless and on topic. You were the dick in this particular situation, unfortunately.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Don't worry, I won't lose too much sleep about it.

I think you overestimate the amount of thought I put into your sleeping habits.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Good, old fashioned fighting.

Anyway, that's a good list for classics I haven't seen or actually heard of - Gunga Din, Black Narcissus, Three Outlaw Samurai, 12 O'Clock High and that Russian one The Unsent Letter.

Hey guys, remember www.rottentomatoes.com?

Heh. Yep

Oh I see now. It's not about me being an idiot. It's my fault DD left MC and you resent me for it. I'm OK being an idiot. I'm not OK with you going out of your way to call me one.

So then Alex, what I can I do to change your opinion about me? You seem like a smart guy, who loves the Last Jedi, who can be reasoned with, much like Finn was reasoned with during his character arch in both films so far.... How do we put this personal attack thing to bed?

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast