View Poll Results: Like or dislike this movie, did you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Force is strong with this franchise.

26 63.41%
  • Execute Order 66.

15 36.59%
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What's worse is Johnson left absoutely nothing for us to look forward to in EPisode IX. Which means JJ's mind is going to go into Lost mode trying to fabricate some kind of drama.
    [/URL]
    I think theres plenty of stuff to look forward to, but JJ is going to pull his mystery box bullshit again is my guess.

[
    ]

What's worse is Johnson left absoutely nothing for us to look forward to in EPisode IX. Which means JJ's mind is going to go into Lost mode trying to fabricate some kind of drama.

I found this today and laughed.

Make the Last Jedi Non-Canon
    This is pretty much what I said. There's certainly no supervillain at this point.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I listened to a couple of spoiler review podcasts on way home from theater.

Whether pro or con, just listening to them describe the [
    ] scene had me laughing my ass off. I loved it.

Also there were about three times during this film where it nearly brought me to tears of feels.

The petitions to make this movie non-canon are pretty much the epitome of everything that’s terrible about nerd culture.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Errand Boy
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    The petitions to make this movie non-canon are pretty much the epitome of everything that’s terrible about nerd culture.
    Because Rian Johnson is a nice guy and shouldn't have his feelings hurt despite making an unbelievably terrible movie? I think it's refreshing that people are calling out this movie's bullshit.

I mean, I find it pretty easy to already not consider the Disney movies canon anyways. They all feel like really poor fan-fiction.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Weems (view post)
    Because Rian Johnson is a nice guy and shouldn't have his feelings hurt despite making an unbelievably terrible movie? I think it's refreshing that people are calling out this movie's bullshit.
    Regardless of feelings on this movie, a petition like that carries all the meaning of a child throwing a tantrum after learning that sometimes the world gives you vegetables.

Producer
    Johnson and Abrams feel so distinct from each other (and obviously, really contradictory even on a surface story choice basis) in their Episodes that I can't fathom one that still group them under one Disney/corporate dismiss, regardless of quality.

Also surprised to see even one defense for that worst-of-fanboy-culture petition here.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Why Kylo Ren hates Luke...
    []

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Also surprised to see even one defense for that worst-of-fanboy-culture petition here.
    Yup. That shit's pretty classless.

I can't either. It's the opposite of TFA as it's not a retread at all and Johnson basically undone all the stupid things JJ and his team implemented. It's doing something way different and for that I love it.
    Are you sure? In some blatant ways this is Empire Strikes Back repurposed with a strong dose of Return of the Jedi during one major scene. I could never hate The Last Jedi, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the text crawl of Episode IX began with "The First Order has begun construction of an even more powerful weapon than starkiller base...."
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Johnson and Abrams feel so distinct from each other (and obviously, really contradictory even on a surface story choice basis) in their Episodes that I can't fathom one that still group them under one Disney/corporate dismiss, regardless of quality.
    I dig each of their films, for different reasons. I also agree with whoever said that Marvel seems to have a more consistent vision.

I am not. There is always one guy or gal. Usually its a guy.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Why Kylo Ren hates Luke...
    []
    Gross, but funny.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Weems (view post)
    There’s nothing wrong with calling out a bad movie.

Petitioning to have it erased from canon because it didn’t do what you wanted / liked is silly, childish nonsense and the type of behaviour I’d expect from gamers.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So I've been on Christmas Vaca, and I re-watched the OT Star Wars trilogy, and I discovered my favorite part of all 8 movies so far (10 movies if you want to include the other two canon ones), is in Return of the Jedi, when they are planning the ground mission. Han Solo will lead the team, and Chewie roars... "It's gonna be rough pal I didn't want to speak for you"- "That's one" - "General, count me in"... goes Leia.

And then out of the shadows: "I'm with you too!" - and right there, everyone is back together setting off on their final mission". It's my favorite moment in all 8 movies.

A close second is

"No, there is another" in Empire...

And the third is Binary Sunset from a new Hope. That 36 second moment is gold.

Thinking about all these moment made me want to start a 'Battle for the Best Star Wars moment' poll/game and see which one wins in the end.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

i guess one good thing is I have NO idea what they'll do with Episode IX.

[
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What moments did your crowds cheer on, by the way?

Mine had big applause for:[
    ]

I love a good non-Film Festival movie applause.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Apart from the Red Room, that shoulder brush absolutely had my crowd.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I thought this was okay. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. It was just a mere good.

The one scene in the movie I did not like at all though was the very final scene.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    i guess one good thing is I have NO idea what they'll do with Episode IX.

[
    ]
    Nah, they will handle her death in the opening crawl. And then have a line or two later on how much she meant to the Resistance.

Apart from the Red Room, that shoulder brush absolutely had my crowd.
    This.

Nah, they will handle her death in the opening crawl. And then have a line or two later on how much she meant to the Resistance.

This.
    That would really suck if that's how they handled a top character of the entire series.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think Episode IX will do just fine without [
    ]

And that's just the Big Plot Shit. I don't see how everything's tied up so neatly that there's nowhere to go from here. The ending is [
    ] And while Abrams may tend towards throwing out of a bunch of mysteries he doesn't intend to think through, if we can really expect an ending to the trilogy, maybe that's not the biggest concern here. "Mystery box" is a problem, sure, but let's not make him such a meme that we flatten him out entirely.

And saying things like so-and-so's character arc is complete, there's nowhere left to go seems incredibly short-sighted. First of all, character growth and change is vastly overrated. Second, [
    ]

Maybe someone new or a small player will be elevated and fleshed out and made important. Emperor Palpatine was briefly in Empire as a hologram, but only showed up as a real character (however thinly sketched) in Jedi. Just because we've known our entire lives the narrative arc of the Star Wars trilogy doesn't mean that on December 20, 2017 we need to know exactly how this trilogy ends.

Like, maybe look at it this way. A lot of people read Johnson's narrative choices regarding the dangling and mysterious threads from the previous episode as a rejection of Abrams's plot proclivities. I think he did a great job with his treatment. Might it not be best if he doesn't leave a whole lot for Abrams to have to clear up before getting to wherever this once and future team want to take it? Now Abrams and his writing team can chart the course they want on a very potent field that is relatively clear of obstacles.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What moments did your crowds cheer on, by the way?

Mine had big applause for:[
    ]

I love a good non-Film Festival movie applause.
    That lil cameo did it for my crowd.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Might it not be best if he doesn't leave a whole lot for Abrams to have to clear up before getting to wherever this once and future team want to take it?
    This is where I'm at. Johnson's cleared away a lot of dangling questions that could've boned the final act on a narrative level.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast