View Poll Results: Like or dislike this movie, did you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Force is strong with this franchise.

26 63.41%
  • Execute Order 66.

15 36.59%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)

Producer
    Should be interesting to see this one's Cinemascore. A friend posted this on facebook with the caption "Some?? All REAL fans hate it. Disgrace to the lore and the legacy." Seems to be a growing sentiment among some, and they tend to be the group that Cinemascore samples on opening weekend.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -

^ Strangely large gap between critical and audience reaction.

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Should be interesting to see this one's Cinemascore. A friend posted this on facebook with the caption "Some?? All REAL fans hate it. Disgrace to the lore and the legacy." Seems to be a growing sentiment among some, and they tend to be the group that Cinemascore samples on opening weekend.
    I agree with Snoke criticism - it felt lacking and we obviously got plenty of understanding of the Emperor. But the other things are not issues, especially considering that there's another movie coming. People are ridiculous.

I'm with Wats on this one.

Welcome back KF!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Random thoughts on the thread so far:

- Not enough mentions of porg-on-porg action. Where's the porg love, brothers and sisters?

- Scar's and TGM's reactions are shocking and have me worried. (But I kinda dig Watashi's full-throated defense & enthusiasm.)

- Waiting for Duke and Skitch to weigh in.
    Seeing it tonight with the family.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Dude, Zac, it turns out the milk isn't just some random addition. Blue milk is what Luke is having for breakfast with his family in Tattooine in A New Hope.

The vanishing dice are apparently also a reference. They're seen hanging, car style, in the control room of the Millennium Falcon during the OT.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Dude, Zac, it turns out the milk isn't just some random addition. Blue milk is what Luke is having for breakfast with his family in Tattooine in A New Hope.
    Tits, Grouchy. TITS.

So...
    [
    ]

Love Rey's journey in this. Her scenes with Kylo and Luke and whatever that evil pit was, it all worked for me.

The Poe and Finn storyline is mostly a complete dud. I say mostly because I did like the introduction of Rose. Her first scene with Finn reminded me of when Rey and Finn first meet Han. How they looked up to Han as a hero of the rebellion.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Last Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Rogue One

From worst to best:

9. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Phantom Menace
    7. Return of the Sith
    6. Rogue One
    5. The Force Awakens
    4. Return of the Jedi
    3. The Last Jedi
    2. A New Hope
    1. The Empire Strikes Back

I consider the first six places good ranging to great movies.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Tits, Grouchy. TITS.

LOVE the journey aspect of this film. I'm going to sleep on it, but this is the feeling I was hoping to get out of Force Awakens.

More tomorrow.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    And yet.... this movie has a worse story than any of them.
    There's no galaxy this is true. As Wats said, try and think of the plot of Phantom Menace, (and not just the stuff about Vadar) including everything about the republic and the trade federation. It's a shit show.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

^ Strangely large gap between critical and audience reaction.
    Despite this being not far off from our own current poll split of 60-40, I have found myself going along with the camp of those who believe this really might be the work of strange, sad 4chan and Reddit contingents storming the audience score to push it into the green.

Especially because if what I heard recently is true that on opening day for a movie on RT, everyone's "Want To See" votes from their site and Flixster are automatically absorbed and converted as Fresh, then it would be pretty fuckin' hard to make the audience score of a movie with maximum awareness and 99%-type levels of anticipation fall so instantly without other forces at play.

But I also loved it a lot and have found a lot of the hate I've read somewhat unfathomable/incoherent to really want to believe it all so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    But I also loved it a lot and have found a lot of the hate I've read somewhat unfathomable/incoherent to really want to believe it all so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reversed for me; I found a lot of the support for it to be tenuous at best... e.g., it's like Kurosawa because it flashes back to the same things three times! I mean, just because it does something a great film has done in the past does not make it great in itself. There is so much reaching going on to apologize for all its basic terribleness in core plotting and characterization.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Also, finally rewatched TFA - it's worse than I remembered, but still better than TLJ.

1. ESB - 92
    2. ANH - 84
    3. ROTJ - 83
    4. Rogue One - 56
    5. TFA - 55
    6. TLJ - 49
    7. TPM - 44
    8. ROTS - 41
    9. AOTC - 13
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Errand Boy
    Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. I loved Brick and Rian Johnson's work on Breaking Bad, but I wouldn't even shake his hand in public after seeing this crap. Did this movie really have a script?

Great:

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope / Return of the Jedi

Lousy:

The prequels

Abysmal:

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

Despair inducing:

The Last Jedi
    Last edited by Weems; 12-17-2017 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Quoting Weems (view post)
    Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.
    That's silly.

I loved Brick and Rian Johnson's work on Breaking Bad, but I wouldn't even shake his hand in public after seeing this crap.
    Your chances of meeting him are very low, but okay!

Did this movie really have a script?
    Yes.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

What's weird to me is that most of the semi-professional critics I follow on Letterboxd have gone wild on this (comparatively), which I think goes to show how the critical mindset has shifted in this era, moving away from judging a film on its underlying craft (plotting, story, tone, rhythm, thematic unity) and focusing more on visuals, "moments", homages, self-referentiality, and genre deconstruction. I simply cannot understand otherwise how some of the most blatantly poor story decisions in this film (and there are many) can be summarily ignored or dismissed just because the throne room was red like in Kurosawa films (!) or Snoke was killed off unceremoniously as a reference to all the theories that were going around (double !!).
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Oh, I forgot to ask: did you guys have onscreen introductory text for each of the characters when they first appeared? I would assume not and what we got was a regional thing because Rogue One absolutely bombed here in Korea and Disney are trying to make things more accessible.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Errand Boy
    What's weird to me is that most of the semi-professional critics I follow on Letterboxd have gone wild on this (comparatively), which I think goes to show how the critical mindset has shifted in this era, moving away from judging a film on its underlying craft (plotting, story, tone, rhythm, thematic unity) and focusing more on visuals, "moments", homages, self-referentiality, and genre deconstruction. I simply cannot understand otherwise how some of the most blatantly poor story decisions in this film (and there are many) can be summarily ignored or dismissed just because the throne room was red like in Kurosawa films (!) or Snoke was killed off unceremoniously as a reference to all the theories that were going around (double !!).
    When I see David Ehrlich claim this is the best Star Wars film, I want to tear my hair out. [
    ]

Oh, I forgot to ask: did you guys have onscreen introductory text for each of the characters when they first appeared? I would assume not and what we got was a regional thing because Rogue One absolutely bombed here in Korea and Disney are trying to make things more accessible.
    No.

And I'm still waiting for you to give examples of the poor story decisions. I can think of one legitimate one;

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    No.

And I'm still waiting for you to give examples of the poor story decisions. I can think of one legitimate one;

[
    ]
    That's the only one you can find? I don't believe it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

When I see David Ehrlich claim this is the best Star Wars film, I want to tear my hair out. [
    ]
    He's an alternate take on your criticisms.

[
    ]

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast