View Poll Results: Like or dislike this movie, did you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Force is strong with this franchise.

26 63.41%
  • Execute Order 66.

15 36.59%
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)

[
    ]

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    This is going to sound condescending as hell, but if you hate this movie, you do not deserve to call yourself a Star Wars fan.

This movie is literally everything a Star Wars movie should be and more.

Good to know some things haven't changed during my absence.

Man, Johnson took the garbage Abrams had made and he filled those characters with life, conflict and emotion. I'm even convinced that some of the most deliberate misdirections and red herrings (such as Rey's heritage) are a metatextual way for him to show how idiotic the "mysteries" of the first movie really were.

Also, in which other Star Wars movie can you guys find better battleship fighting sequences?

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    [
    ]
    Loved that and the fishing moment inmediately afterwards. World building at its funniest.

[
    ]

If that's STAR WARS then I'll happily walk away from the fandom.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Good to know some things haven't changed during my absence.
    You literally came back just to be negative!
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Loved that and the fishing moment inmediately afterwards. World building at its funniest.
    [
    ]

You literally came back just to be negative!
    Hahahahaha. Very true. I hated this movie so much I needed to come to a comfortable corner of the internet and vent.

Also, in which other Star Wars movie can you guys find better battleship fighting sequences?
    All of them?

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    All of them?
    Yeah pretty much.

I kept wondering about the praise for the final battle in Rogue One. Compared to the initial battle in TLJ it's like amateur hour.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

All of them?
    Are you serious?

Most space battles in all Star Wars are not very creative or well directed. Johnson gives them a sense of wonder and a structure here that makes them stand out.

Man, Johnson took the garbage Abrams had made and he filled those characters with life, conflict and emotion. I'm even convinced that some of the most deliberate misdirections and red herrings (such as Rey's heritage) are a metatextual way for him to show how idiotic the "mysteries" of the first movie really were.

Very true. This movie is the anti-Mystery box that JJ Abrams put forth. One of the first images is Luke throwing the lightsaber off the cliff. He's like, "fuck your Star Wars theories." This movie is not a retread of Empire Strikes Back (which apparently most people wanted?), but a brutal takedown of the Jedi mythology.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

[
    ]
    *shrug* I thought it was a funny detail. If you find it that gross, well maybe that's like your thing. Like how I can't watch the "nails on a chalkboard" scene in Jaws without wincing. I'm wincing just typing about it.

Are you serious?

Most space battles in all Star Wars are not very creative or well directed. Johnson gives them a sense of wonder and a structure here that makes them stand out.
    I can't agree with this at all. This is the first instance in any of these movies where the space battles were a complete discombobulated mess.

[
    ]

The opening space battle of Revenge of the Sith is one of the worst "battles" ever put on screen in a Star Wars movie. It's like a bad PS3 cutscene.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

This thread is getting really weird, fast. I literally cannot even.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

The opening space battle of Revenge of the Sith is one of the worst "thing" ever put on screen on a Star Wars movie. It's like a bad PS3 cut
    Oh, ok.

*shrug* I thought it was a funny detail. If you find it that gross, well maybe that's like your thing. Like how I can't watch the "nails on a chalkboard" scene in Jaws without wincing. I'm wincing just typing about it.
    Gross, no... but why. Why. Why.

Gross, no... but why. Why. Why.
    Because he lives off the environment? It makes perfect sense to me that he'd milk an animal.

I'm only getting fixated on this because I don't even know what to say to TGM. It would appear that we are completely at odds as to what constitutes a good battle scene.

Because he lives off the environment? It makes perfect sense to me that he'd milk an animal.

I'm only getting fixated on this because I don't even know what to say to TGM. It would appear that we are completely at odds as to what constitutes a good battle scene.
    As to the opening scene for example, it just felt all over the place, cutting all around to all these other ships with nameless characters who we don't even know, and I found myself just growing numb watching it. It was a typical modern day CGI splooge action sequence, and was just all over the place, with nothing to really guide us along as shit just happens and more shit just explodes all around. It had no flow to it, and I could barely tell what anyone's objective even was. But that's what I took from it at least, was that it was just too much shit happening and was hard to really follow or care about anything happening, until the very end of it when we finally found some focus on that last bomber ship. But perhaps you could explain what about this sequence in particular stood out to you that made you think it was exceptional?

The reaction on Match Cut is not too far off from the general reaction elsewhere. After watching it, I would not expect this to be the most divisive Star Wars film and people claiming it isn't just bad but worse than the prequels. You know... the films with Hayden Christensen, Jar Jar Binks, sand romance, and Yoda and an 80 year old man flubber lightsaber fighting.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

The reaction on Match Cut is not too far off from the general reaction elsewhere. After watching it, I would not expect this to be the most divisive Star Wars film and people claiming it isn't just bad but worse than the prequels. You know... the films with Hayden Christensen, Jar Jar Binks, sand romance, and Yoda and an 80 year old man flubber lightsaber fighting.
    And yet.... this movie has a worse story than any of them.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Can you even tell me what The Phantom Menace is about?

Not being snarky, but just curious, because that movie's plot is convoluted as hell.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

As to the opening scene for example, it just felt all over the place, cutting all around to all these other ships with nameless characters who we don't even know, and I found myself just growing numb watching it. It was a typical modern day CGI splooge action sequence, and was just all over the place, with nothing to really guide us along as shit just happens and more shit just explodes all around. It had no flow to it, and I could barely tell what anyone's objective even was. But that's what I took from it at least, was that it was just too much shit happening and was hard to really follow or care about anything happening, until the very end of it when we finally found some focus on that last bomber ship. But perhaps you could explain what about this sequence in particular stood out to you that made you think it was exceptional?
    Well, the pivotal characters in the scene are Poe Dameron, Leia Organa and General Hux. So... the nameless characters are pilots for other ships, which makes sense and is completely consistent with every Star Wars film ever released. There are clear objectives to the scene - Leia wants to escape from the enemy fleet while Poe would rather engage and destroy it, disregarding the possible casualties.

What you are describing sounds like a Michael Bay sequence, which is not what I saw on the theater.

Anyway, while I loved that scene (and inmediately found it more arousing than, say, yet another remake of the "let's destroy this Death Star" videogame - which is what I love about this film, it finally covers new ground) the real highlight is the climatic battle with Kylo Ren and Luke. Loved the color scheme of red against white.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast