Page 5 of 310 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussion

Director
    Sabathia edges out Beckett for the Cy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I think it’s probably the closest the top two candidates have ever been statistically. You can’t really go wrong with either choice, though I probably would have taken Beckett, but just barely.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I think Sabathia was more deserving, but you're right, either would have been a great choice.

Director
    Yeah Beckett had marginally better stats in a tougher division but Sabathia did it in more innings. Flip a coin.

28 ballots are supposed to be cast for the AL award. The real issue I see is that Beckett was left off 2 ballots altogether and Sabathia was left off 1. How can these people ever be allowed to vote again?

2007 AL Cy Young Award Voting
    Pitcher, Club 1st 2nd 3rd Points
    C.C. Sabathia, CLE 19 8 119
    Josh Beckett, BOS 8 14 4 86
    John Lackey, LAA 1 5 16 36
    Fausto Carmona, CLE 1 4 7
    Eric Bedard, BAL 1 1
    Roy Halladay, TOR 1 1
    Johan Santana, MIN 1 1
    Justin Verlander, DET 1 1

Fausto Carmona probably had a better case for the Cy Young than Josh Beckett. Then again, that's mostly because of the latter's five missed starts.

Sabathia would've been my pick as well, but his less-publicized teammate pitched just as well this season.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Sabathia edges out Beckett for the Cy.

I think it’s probably the closest the top two candidates have ever been statistically. You can’t really go wrong with either choice, though I probably would have taken Beckett, but just barely.
    See I would have voted for Beckett, but yeah I agree that Sabaitha was just as deserving.

Also I like Jacque Jones. I thought he was a pretty solid player defense and offense wise. I really don't think the Cubs need a solid sub right now. We in fact need what the Tigers need: good bullpen relief. I'd say the Tigers need it more than the Cubs do what with them being a tougher division and all, but Chicago could have used at least one or two really great relievers against the Diamondbacks in the playoffs.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I probably would have taken Beckett too, but I can't discount his postseason performance. If I had voted a few months ago, eh, I'd still take Beckett, but it would have been closer.

Not that I'm complaining about CC. Anytime a big & tall man wins an award, I'm happy.

Director
    Brian Cashman is dumb.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3108883

$15 million per. Zito gets expensive in 09 and beyond but in 08 Rivera would be tied with Zambrano (and Mike Hampton, ha Braves) for the highest pitcher salary in baseball.

Blah blah Hall of Fame closer and all but if you’re paying for future performance, and let’s face it, Rivera hasn’t exactly been underpaid the past 6 years… the smart thing to do is not make a 38 year old reliever coming off his worst season since his rookie year the highest paid pitcher in baseball.

That’s all I’m saying.

I love it. I can't wait until all this money comes back to bite them in two years when both Posada and Rivera are washed up. The luxury tax is going to be brutal.

the Yankees realize it's just money and there is no salary cap, so there is absolutely no penalty for overpaying to be the best possible team you can be.

They could offer him a 1 year $100 million deal and it it wouldn't matter.

If he underperforms then they just overpay for the next guy.

And now they are talking to A-Rod again. Maybe he'll get his $350 mill after all.

Mo' money, 'mo problems.

Director
    If Rivera is a $15m per closer, how does Joe Nathan not get at least that much when his FA turn is up? He's light years better than Rivera at this point and 6 years younger.
    And now they are talking to A-Rod again. Maybe he'll get his $350 mill after all.
    Probably just a ploy by Boras to get other teams to up their offers. They need the Yankees in the mix, or at least the perception of the Yankees being in the mix, in order to get top dollar.

Wedge and Melvin managers of the year.

I'm okay with both, but I really question why Charlie Manuel is 2nd above Hurdle. I've always been under the impression that Manuel's team almost made the playoffs despite his poor management. The Phil's are a talented team and I thought they underachieved.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)

I'm okay with both, but I really question why Charlie Manuel is 2nd above Hurdle. I've always been under the impression that Manuel's team almost made the playoffs despite his poor management. The Phil's are a talented team and I thought they underachieved.
    Phils have 3 potential MVP candidates, and then you add Burrell and the soon-to-be-way-overpaid Rowand to the mix and the lineup is quite lethal.

However, pitching-wise, they had one of the worst ERA's of any team to make the playoffs, ever. Their bullpen stunk most of the year with Myers, Madson, and Gordon missing at least two months each and Romero not signed til the middle of the year. They somewhat pulled it together at the end, but it was mostly torture to watch.

Their starting rotation, as any fan of baseball knows, is a joke.

For them to win 89 games like they did, with those boppers, and with that pitching staff, in an inferior National League, sounds about right.

You are right, however, about Charlie Manuel being an inept strategist, although many times his players bailed him out of dumb decisions. It just goes to show you how unimportant the manager position really is if he can place in the top 2.

Did you think Clint Hurdle was a good manager until this year? Did he do anything different this year than he did previously?

I agree with you about the overall pitching, but the starting rotation seemed at least serviceable. Hamels is one of the best young arms in the league; Kendrick showed some promise at times, and somehow Moyer still finds ways to get people out. The bullpen was pretty rough, however, even though Myers seemed to do an adequate job of closing towards the end of the year.

Living on the east coast, I wasn't exposed to much Rockie baseball before the big streak, but I was very impressed with Hurdle's strategy in managing those games (aside from putting Jorge Julio in any situation). I also think it reflects well on the management team when a team defense is that good.

Edit: found some numbers:

First 6 innings:

4.83 ERA, 1.42 WHIP

Last 3 innings:

4.53 ERA, 1.51 WHIP

Okay, that's pretty bad, but I think guys like Eaton, Lieber and Garcia really blew up those stats.

I'm surprised that Yost even got any votes. Partly thanks to him (according to some Brewers fans who post on Icine) he was partly to blame for the second half collapse. Glad to see that Lou got some votes but at the same time he the organization did spend millions of dollars to get good players. I'll wait until after three seasons to evalute the job he's doing.

I'm sort of meh on Wedge but I agree that Melvin deserves his award. What he did with the Diamondbacks was pretty remarkable.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Cabrera to Angels?
    Kendrick is the one of three players I'd wish the Angels would consider untouchable. I'm torn.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Cabrera to Angels?
    Kendrick is the one of three players I'd wish the Angels would consider untouchable. I'm torn.
    Well, in the Angels defense, he has been slightly injury prone. If he continues to be injury prone, now is the perfect time to trade him. It's a risk, but when you're getting Cabrera in return, it's a pretty good risk to take.

In other news, A-Rod will be staying with the Yankees. They would only deal with him if he showed up without Boras and negotiated on his own, and he did. Looks like it will be 10/$270 million. How bad a hit is this for Boras? Slimy fuck.

Director
    Peavy obviously deserved this one.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Yeah, that was a forgone conclusion. I'm glad Webb didn't sneak in there and steal his award. He had a few great stretches for sure, but his overall season was a bit inconsistent.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    I heard something rather funny while listening to ESPN Radio a few weeks ago. They were talking about inside info from GMs about where they thought various free agents would end up. I guess 3 different GMs, when asked who they thought Bonds would be playing for, responded that he would be in jail. Seems perhaps they'll be correct.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I heard something rather funny while listening to ESPN Radio a few weeks ago. They were talking about inside info from GMs about where they thought various free agents would end up. I guess 3 different GMs, when asked who they thought Bonds would be playing for, responded that he would be in jail. Seems perhaps they'll be correct.
    I'm interested in how this plays out. I would think that'll be the end of Bonds. No team, however skeptical they might have been before, will touch him now. I can't wait for the day when Bonds is out of the news completely, though.

I just got home from work. Anything interesting happen today?

I just got home from work. Anything interesting happen today?
    A-Rod will be a Yankee, Peavey won the Cy Young unanimously, and Bonds was indicted. Just another day in baseball I suppose. :P

It seems Mariano Rivera is trying to get a fourth year added to the 3/$45 million deal the Yankees are offering. I think the Yankees would be silly to pass up securing Rivera until he's 41. Especially at the rock bottom price of $15 million a year or $200,000 for every inning he'll pitch. [/sarcasm]
    Try and wrap your brain around that. For 5-10 minutes of work he'll be earning 4 times the median household income for an entire year in the US.

Page 5 of 310 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast