Page 3 of 310 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussion

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    He's great no matter where you play him. Jeter isn't good defensively, but I would still take him and Cabrera on a team over Wright and Reyes immediately (though some would disagree).
    How about Wright and Jeter?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

He's great no matter where you play him. Jeter isn't good defensively, but I would still take him and Cabrera on a team over Wright and Reyes immediately (though some would disagree).
    He's a great hitter no matter where you play him, but he'd be of better value if he played a position where he wasn't such a defesive liability.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Gross.
    You called him an awful third baseman. Not an awful defensive third baseman. If truly being a defensive wizard makes you "great", then Doug Mientkiewicz would be a "great" first basemen. The Marlins need to build around this guy instead of loading their team with prospects that may or may not pan out.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Director
    You called him an awful third baseman. Not an awful defensive third baseman.
    And he is. If you hadn't condescendingly "stopped reading after here", you might have gotten to the point where I advocated moving him to 1B or LF, where he'd be less of a defensive liability and ultimately a more productive member of his team.

You called him an awful third baseman. Not an awful defensive third baseman. If truly being a defensive wizard makes you "great", then Doug Mientkiewicz would be a "great" first basemen. The Marlins need to build around this guy instead of loading their team with prospects that may or may not pan out.
    Truth be told, I would trade Cabrera if I were the Marlins. Like Shaun said, his defense is getting atrocious. He's not yet a Ryan Braun, but he's getting close. Good hitting at LF and 1B is much easier to come by. They won't be able to afford to pay him within a year or two, and they've proven that they can get the most out of their prospects.

As much as I hate to see it, knowing their attendance figures, I don't blame the Marlins for auctioning their players every year. They should probably move because that city doesn't support them nearly enough.

I wanted Granderson too, KF, but he'll get his.

Lidge to the Phillies

Lidge goes from one hitter-friendly park to another. Myers was good closing for them last year, don't see why they would trade for a shaky closer over him.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Lidge to the Phillies

Lidge goes from one hitter-friendly park to another. Myers was good closing for them last year, don't see why they would trade for a shaky closer over him.
    Lidge won't close for anyone. They want him for middle relief. The price tag wasn't very high, but I'm still not sure why the Phillies would want him.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Lidge won't close for anyone. They want him for middle relief. The price tag wasn't very high, but I'm still not sure why the Phillies would want him.
    The article had the Phillies GM calling Lidge one of the "elite closers in the game". I'm pretty sure they are making him their closer. Which is a dumb move. I rather have Flash Gordon over him.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Lidge to the Phillies

Thank God you're not the Phillies GM.

They need a starting pitcher, badly. If Myers were a free agent he'd be the best one on the market, and they already have him signed for 3/24, which is a bargain compared to the slop that's available. Relievers are much easier to acquire. They gave up nothing for a guy who struck out 12 per 9 and had a BAA of under .225. From all reports, his stuff after he came off the DL was downright nasty.

It's a gamble, but a good one. If it doesn't work out, he's a free agent after this year and they say bah-bye. But if they paid one of the crappy starting pitchers left on the market, they'd be stuck with him for at least 3, more likely 4.

They're team with Myers as a starter and Lidge as a closer looks a hell of a lot better than Silva (for example) as a starter and Myers as a closer, both in talent and payroll.

Absolutely he is the closer next year.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Absolutely he is the closer next year.
    Have fun. Unless his psyche undergoes a complete rejuvenation coming to Philly, you'll be tearing your hair out on a weekly basis.

Have fun. Unless his psyche undergoes a complete rejuvenation coming to Philly, you'll be tearing your hair out on a weekly basis.
    What do you know about his psyche?

Director
    Lidge's season numbers were very good despite being all over the map on a month to month basis. If they can stomach his swings, he's a much better option at closer than a 40 year old Gordon and his rapidly approaching mediocrity or Myers, who's above average and should probably be starting.

And really if it doesn't work out at closer, he'll be a fantastic setup man and they didn't give up much. Great trade for the Phillies.

What do you know about his psyche?
    Ever since that home run he gave up to Pujols in the postseason, he's been like Glass Joe. He can't close an automatic door. He's been less than a shadow of himself, he's like a Picasso painting of himself. You can't even recognize him anymore. He doesn't have the mentality to shut down opponents in a one-run game. In the last 2 seasons he has 14 blown saves. That's more than Todd Jones for crying out loud, and part of each season Lidge lost his job as a closer. Jones has 12 in the last 2 seasons closing all season long. He can help out in middle relief, but in an unforgiving town like Philly, he's a terrible choice for closer.

I'm not saying that Meyers won't be better off starting for the Phillies, but Lidge isn't the answer as a closer.

As a bit more evidence, look at his game logs from last season. After sucking the first few games, they removed him from the closer role. He gradually got his ERA down from 10.13 to 2.21. They then moved him back to closer. His ERA went back up to the mid to high 3's, where it stayed for the rest of the season, and the guy couldn't convert more than 5 saves in a row without blowing one. Again, as a middle reliever he'll put in quality innings, but he just doesn't handle the pressure of a closer very well, and that usually has to do with mentality, or psyche.

Ever since that home run he gave up to Pujols in the postseason, he's been like Glass Joe. He can't close an automatic door. He's been less than a shadow of himself, he's like a Picasso painting of himself. You can't even recognize him anymore. He doesn't have the mentality to shut down opponents in a one-run game.
    In 32 appearances in 2007 in a one run game, Brad Lidge has a BAA of .198 and an OPSA of .647.

I just hate that whenever any pitcher struggles sometimes, I have to read about his mental makeup and it's usually from some writer that's playing armchair psychiatrist. I'm always hesitant when I hear there's mental questions about a player.

What happened to having a string of bad games? Bad mechanics? Pitching through injuries? Is Trevor Hoffman in a fragile mental state b/c of the Colorado game?

I just find it hard to believe that someone is as successful as he is for so long, but is a mental time bomb waiting to happen.

Lidge could have 2 good months pitching, and then he gives up a base hit after someone gets on, and people are like "What a head case".

Perhaps calling out his mental state is the wrong way to approach it, but I think there's a certain mentality that goes with closing successfully. Like I showed in the link of his game logs, Lidge was a better pitcher as middle relief. When he's the one chosen to shut the door, he's spotty and inaccurate. And it had nothing to do with his stint on the DL. He had already worked his ERA to 2.34 in middle relief before the DL, which then went up to 3.36 by seasons end.

And that was just last season. Look at his game log from 2006 and tell me you want this guy as a closer. I just feel that if Lidge struggles out of the gate, something he's done since that playoff disaster, Philly will start booing and Lidge won't recover without losing his job as the closer. Perhaps I'll be wrong, and I hope I am for your sake, but his history doesn't bode well, even in a relatively friendly, laid-back baseball town like Houston.

And that was just last season. Look at his game log from 2006 and tell me you want this guy as a closer. I just feel that if Lidge struggles out of the gate, something he's done since that playoff disaster, Philly will start booing and Lidge won't recover without losing his job as the closer. Perhaps I'll be wrong, and I hope I am for your sake, but his history doesn't bode well, even in a relatively friendly, laid-back baseball town like Houston.
    Why would I be concerned about 2006 when there is much more relevant data to go by in 2007?

His worst month last year came when he was a set-up man. The year as a whole is up and down, to me, it doesn't matter what the role is. When you go in the game, you're supposed to get guys out.

Again, they gave up nothing to get him, they can let him go after '08, and they improved their staff without spending a ton of money on a crappy free agent. It's always a gamble, but this is a great move.

Again, they gave up nothing to get him, they can let him go after '08, and they improved their staff without spending a ton of money on a crappy free agent. It's always a gamble, but this is a great move.
    I mentioned that the price tag was small and that he'd be good as middle relief. So basically we're quibbling over whether he'll be a good closer. Time will tell (you that I'm right). :P

Lidge has been through the ringer, no doubt, but the talent is still there. I think with a change in scenery he can retain his status as a dominant closer.

Breaking News: 11 Free Agents will be in the Mitchell Report.

Here's the complete list. Speculate away.

My guesses in a sec.

Okay. I figure the names have to be big in order to make the report. Plus there are going to be some pitchers. Either way, I'm speculating on big players because it's more fun that way.

Already Known:
    Jose Guillen

Highly Likely:
    Barry Bonds
    Sammy Sosa

Possible Shockers:
    Alex Rodriguez
    Roger Clemens

My remaining guesses:
    Bartolo Colon
    Steve Finley
    Cliff Floyd
    Julio Franco
    Javy Lopez
    Mike Lowell
    Ruben Sierra

Probably going to be more pitchers, but oh well.

Director
    Current list of Free Agents...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents

Given:
    Barry Bonds
    Sammy Sosa
    Jose Guillen
    Mike Cameron

Wild Speculation:
    Shawn Green
    Roger Clemens
    Andy Pettitte
    Aaron Boone
    Eric Milton
    Mike Piazza

I don't think there's any chance ARod is on the list. Boras is connected enough to know if there's a possibility of him being on the list and he wouldn't have turned down $240 million from the Yankees if there was.

Clemens has been suspected for years now.

Director
    http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/20...-baseball.html

Old site but they have some information on the Clemens/Pettitte thing.

The Story: Pettitte was one of the redacted names from the Jason Grimsley Affidavit. In the affidavit, Grimsley told investigators he obtained amphetamines, anabolic steroids and hGH from a person recommended to him by Brian McNamee, strength and conditioning coach of Pettitte and Roger Clemens. Grimsley later named Pettitte specifically as a user of ‘performance-enhancing drugs.’ Pettitte’s name was revealed in an Oct. 1, 2006 Los Angeles Times Article entitled Clemens Is Named in Drug Affidavit.

Page 3 of 310 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast