Page 2 of 310 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussion

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    I also think the Mets are on of the few teams with the ability to support his ludacris offer, not to mention the fact that he's already settled in NY with a fanbase there. Funny no one seems to mention the fact that A-Rod is still a SS by trade, and that may be an avenue for him as well with Jeter out of the picture.
    Not for the Mets. They wouldn't put Reyes anywhere else. He'll play third if he stays in New York (with either team, since I'm not convinced the Yankees are totally out of the bidding). But yes, he'd actually be better off moving back to short. He was a better fielder there.

Director
    My concern is that Wright and Reyes are not only the face of the franchise but they're both dirt cheap compared to their production for the next 2-3 years. Trading either of them now to make room for ARod would be a colossal mistake.

But if Wright thinks he can handle the switch to 2B defensively and not have a Jeff Kent/Derek Jeter-esque UZR rating in the middle infield, I would be thrilled to have ARod at 3rd for the Mets. That would be one sick infield.

I would be ecstatic to see Arod in the NL. If the Phillies or Mets grab him they'd be in the running for best infield ever. Phillies more so.

I doubt very much they would trade Wright. I was thinking they'd either ask him to move to second or to a corner of the outfield. His trade value would just bring more salary their way, and if they're planning on signing A-Rod, that's something they can't do.

Interesting
    He's not that old, 35, and he's proven to still be effective. If he does decide to retire there's going to be a lot of pressure on those young arms to produce for a full season. Then again, I'd imagine this will be a signal for Cashman to go all out for Santana.

I would expect no less than Cano, Cabrera, and Hughes for Santana.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Director
    I would expect no less than Cano, Cabrera, and Hughes for Santana.
    I don't see them offering even close to that much unless Santana signs an extension prior to any trade and even then I would think Cano is pretty much untouchable as long as either Hughes or Joba is included.

Hughes or Joba / Ian Kennedy / Melky Cabrera

If the Yankees are smart, they'd try to offer up Wang instead of Hughes/Joba but the Twins probably wouldn't go for it.

'roids
    That explains why Guillen gets the Hulk Rage on occassion. As if most of us couldn't have guessed.

Not surprised about Matt Williams. He went from a slim rookie to a hulk in the 90s.

Greg Maddox is the man. He won his 17th Golden Glove this year. That's just crazy awesome. I think 2008 will be his last season though.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

How do the Rockies, who had the best fielding percentage in MLB History, not get one person with the Golden Glove?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    How do the Rockies, who had the best fielding percentage in MLB History, not get one person with the Golden Glove?
    No kidding. Tulowitzk was far and away the best SS in MLB this year. How did Rollins get the nod over him?

Director
    Because Gold Gloves are generally a joke and have no bearing on how good a fielder someone actually is. They don't use metrics at all. I mean, Derek Jeter won one and he's one of the worst defensive shortstops of the past 10 years.

Best UZR ratings for 2007...

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/inde...t_of_2007_uzr/

1B
    AL - Kotchman
    NL - Helton

2B
    AL - Ellis
    NL - Utley

SS
    AL - Pena
    NL - Reyes

3B
    AL - Inge
    NL - Feliz

LF
    AL - All AL LFers Suck
    NL - Soriano

CF
    AL - Sizemore
    NL - Rowand

RF
    AL - Ordonez
    NL - Victorino

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    No kidding. Tulowitzk was far and away the best SS in MLB this year. How did Rollins get the nod over him?
    Well, I don't get to see Tulowitzki play very often, but I get to see Rollins play every night, and he is a pretty amazing shortstop, so it's not like he's an unworthy winner.

Gold Gloves awards are totally arbitrary anyway.

I was hoping Granderson would get one. Bummer. I think he was more worthy than Torii Hunter this season. That was a reputation win methinks. Granderson was amazing in center this season. Some of his catches were jaw-dropping. He's not the strongest at assists, but with his range and athletic ability, it makes up for it.

EDIT: And Pudge didn't really deserve one this year. His steals-against stats were way down from years prior. That was also a reputation win.

Steals against has as much to do with pitchers as it does catchers.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Steals against has as much to do with pitchers as it does catchers.
    True, but he has basically the same pitchers this season as last. Not only that, but being someone who watched well over 100 of the Tigers games, he has slowed quite a bit, and isn't as agile. He's consistent, and it's not like he's totally undeserving (plus I don't get to watch many other catchers in action, so I don't know how good his competition is), but I'm surprised that no one else was good enough to steal the award from him.

There were some changes to the staff due to injury, but overall agreed that a lot of it is based on reputation. Not watching too many AL games, I can't say who would be more worthy, either.

Why the HELL are the Marlins trying to trade Miguel Cabrera? Not only trade him, but to get "prospects" in return. The dude is only 24 years old and is a future MVPer. He hasn't even hit his peak yet!

I swear, the Marlins are the dumbest sports organization ever. I would be insulted if I was a fan.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Why the HELL are the Marlins trying to trade Miguel Cabrera? Not only trade him, but to get "prospects" in return. The dude is only 24 years old and is a future MVPer. He hasn't even hit his peak yet!

I swear, the Marlins are the dumbest sports organization ever. I would be insulted if I was a fan.
    It would be incredibly frustrating. Two World Series, then bottom of the barrel. Yuck.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Director
    It doesn't make any sense. Cabrera is an awful third baseman and is about to get very expensive through arbitration but move him to 1B or LF and up your league lowest payroll a bit. It's not like Mike Jacobs or Josh Willingham are anything special.

What they should have done was trade Dontrelle Willis when some GM could've been convinced to give up a ton for him. By now people have mostly caught on that he's not very good.

People complain about the big budget clubs all the time but an owner like Jeff Loria who puts a crap team on the field, takes in the largest net profit of any club in majors ($45 million, 50% higher than his payroll), and still demands public funding for a ballpark are the much bigger detriments to the game, in my opinion.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Cabrera is an awful third baseman
    Um, yeah. I stopped reading after here.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Director
    Um, yeah. I stopped reading after here.
    You think he plays a good 3B? UZR Rating of -28 (worst of any 3B in the majors) and 23 Errors on the year.

He's a great hitter. He butchers the position in the field though.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    You think he plays a good 3B? UZR Rating of -28 (worst of any 3B in the majors) and 23 Errors on the year.

He's a great hitter. He butchers the position in the field though.
    He's great no matter where you play him. Jeter isn't good defensively, but I would still take him and Cabrera on a team over Wright and Reyes immediately (though some would disagree).
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Director
    He's great no matter where you play him.
    Gross. Can you play David Ortiz at short and call him a great SS? Prince Fielder in CF? Same applies. Despite them all being fantastic batters, at what point does one's defensive shortcomings no longer make them "great" at their position?
    Jeter isn't good defensively, but I would still take him and Cabrera on a team over Wright and Reyes immediately (though some would disagree).
    I don't know what to say to that. I'm pretty sure most GMs would take your trade offer though, even Brian Cashman probably would if he didn't have to deal with the backlash of trading the Yankee Captain Legend.

Page 2 of 310 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast