Page 11 of 310 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussion

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Pudge no longer strikes fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers.
    Getting off "the juice" will do that to a player.

Director
    The fact that Florida's entire payroll of $8 million for 2008 is gonna be 2/3 of what Jose Guillen makes by himself is sickening on two different levels.
    It's completely criminal. People bitch about the big market payrolls as being bad for the game but this is far worse in my opinion.

Mike and Mike are generally pretty dumb but they did bring up a good number... the Marlins bring in between $60-70m a year from revenue sharing and TV contracts and that's before they sell a single ticket or hotdog. It all goes into the owner's pocket. Why should the fans in South Florida support a team who's sole reason for existing is to make Jeff Loria as much money as possible?

And this guy had the balls to threaten to move the team unless the taxpayers bought him a new stadium... to make him even more money.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Oh please. Rodriguez is still a gold-glove capable catcher who carries veteran leadership and discipline. Statistics are not everything. Any team would love to have Pudge on their roster.
    The guy had a .290 on base percentage. Even for a catcher, that's pathetic.

10-15 Game Suspension for HGH Use in Works for Jose Guillen.

The funniest piece of this article is the first sentence, which mentions that MLB and the Players' Association are in negotiations on a 10-15 day suspension. Negotiations?! This just goes to show the ridiculous amount of power that the Players' union holds over baseball. We don't even need to go into how this is the only sports league on the planet where average players make over $10 million a year.

On another note, how much is this punishment going to deter any other players from using HGH? Guillen nets himself a $36 million contract with the aid of performance enhancers, and he only has to sit out two weeks.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    On another note, how much is this punishment going to deter any other players from using HGH? Guillen nets himself a $36 million contract with the aid of performance enhancers, and he only has to sit out two weeks.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. This coupled with the Tiger's getting Cabrera I think squashes any chance of the Royals making the playoffs.:lol:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. This coupled with the Tiger's getting Cabrera I think squashes any chance of the Royals making the playoffs.:lol:
    Not sure how missing the playoffs relates.

10-15 Game Suspension for HGH Use in Works for Jose Guillen.

The funniest piece of this article is the first sentence, which mentions that MLB and the Players' Association are in negotiations on a 10-15 day suspension. Negotiations?! This just goes to show the ridiculous amount of power that the Players' union holds over baseball. We don't even need to go into how this is the only sports league on the planet where average players make over $10 million a year.

average as in $3 million tops if you're on the Boston Red Sox?

380,000 if you're on the Marlins?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Not sure how missing the playoffs relates.
    Well you see the Royals, perennial losers, signed Jose Guillen to a multi-year contract this past week. Now that he'll probably have to sit out two weeks next season, they, being the Royals, probably won't make the playoffs. Since everyone, including those on the Royals, are probably well aware that they won't be making it to the playoffs regardless of who they sign, I had attempted some humor at their expense. It was supposed to be a joke, hence the little laughing yellow guy at the end of my blurb.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    average as in $3 million tops if you're on the Boston Red Sox?

380,000 if you're on the Marlins?
    "Average" was an exaggeration, but if you have modest power (20+ HRs) and play a key position, you can negotiate a $10 million/year salary. Pitchers who are fourth or fifth on a given rotation can make $8-10 million easily.

Quote Quoting soitgoes
    Well you see the Royals, perennial losers, signed Jose Guillen to a multi-year contract this past week. Now that he'll probably have to sit out two weeks next season, they, being the Royals, probably won't make the playoffs. Since everyone, including those on the Royals, are probably well aware that they won't be making it to the playoffs regardless of who they sign, I had attempted some humor at their expense. It was supposed to be a joke, hence the little laughing yellow guy at the end of my blurb.
    Yeah, I know. How this relates to the suspension not detering players from using HGH was/is lost on me. But I guess it was just a jump off point for the joke.

Director
    For only two years it's probably worth overpaying on a yearly basis.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Ridiculous. I don't care if it's for only two years, nothing he's done over the last two seasons justifies giving him that kind of money.

It is very foolish. I'd rather keep Ethier and Kemp. This trade likely means one of them is going to be moved. Jones will also have a no-trade clause. Criminy. I hate Scott Boras.
    Contagion (Soderbergh, 2011) - 6.5
    The Descendants (Payne, 2011) - 7.5
    Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011) - 5
    Margin Call (Chandor, 2011) - 6.5
    The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011) - 5

Director
    Kemp is rumored to be involved in a Bedard deal so that angle could make sense. Plus Juan Pierre is awful is just about every way so I don't think he counts as an actual player.
    nothing he's done over the last two seasons justifies giving him that kind of money.
    His 2007 was crap but he's played at a consistently high level his entire career, including 06.

2006 - OPS .894, OPS+ 126, EQA .297

All things considered, I like this contract way better than Torii Hunter's.

Come on, this contract is perfectly reasonable. Signing a marquee free agent to just a two year deal is always a winning play. Here's a good article on the move:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=6977

Yesterday...

"Average" was an exaggeration, but if you have modest power (20+ HRs) and play a key position, you can negotiate a $10 million/year salary.
    It looks like I was off. I guess it's closer to $20 million.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    It's amazing that 3 of my favorite players (Dontrelle Willis, Gary Sheffield (yeah yeah, I know) and Miguel Cabrera) are on the Detroit Tigers.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Director
    Mitchell Report possibly on Thursday...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

But he also is a director with the World Series champion Red Sox, a role players say makes him hopelessly conflicted and an agent of commissioner Bud Selig, who appointed him.
    Does his front office position with the Red Sox make the report any less comprehensive (wrong word?) in your eyes? I mean, will you look at the list of names either released or not included with a higher degree of skepticism than you would if it were an independent counsel? What if it has 0 Sox players and 10 Yankees?

At what point would the suspicion of bias be there?

If there are no Red Sox, but players from basically every other club, I'll be suspicious. Either way, it slightly compromises the integrity of the report. Is it wrong that I'm almost hoping there will be a current Red Sox player on there so that we don't have to feel like the results aren't accurate? And for that player not to be Coco Crisp or someone equally useless to the franchise?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    If there are no Red Sox, but players from basically every other club, I'll be suspicious. Either way, it slightly compromises the integrity of the report. Is it wrong that I'm almost hoping there will be a current Red Sox player on there so that we don't have to feel like the results aren't accurate? And for that player not to be Coco Crisp or someone equally useless to the franchise?
    What Red Sox player is possible?

Lowell? The 1B guy? Varitek? They've all been pretty consistent the entire career without having one breakout season and then dropping off, or vice-versa.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Director
    Gabe Kapler was pretty jacked up.

Not that you even need to be a roid freak to be on this list with players like Jason Grimsley and Neifi Perez having been suspended.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Gabe Kapler was pretty jacked up.

Not that you even need to be a roid freak to be on this list with players like Jason Grimsley and Neifi Perez having been suspended.

Gabe Kapler was or is a professional body builder. Throughout his entire career he has been vehemently outspoken about steroids and those who use.

Director
    As prevalent as PEDs were/are I don't discount the possibility of any player having used, even ones like Jeter and Griffey.

Kapler was just a easy target because of how ridiculously ripped he was, and he happened to be on the Sox.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    As prevalent as PEDs were/are I don't discount the possibility of any player having used, even ones like Jeter and Griffey.

Kapler was just a easy target because of how ridiculously ripped he was, and he happened to be on the Sox.
    I listen to Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio from time to time, and he used to work in baseball. He said there were three major HR stars whose names he never heard attached to steroids: Griffey, Vlad, and A-Rod. He said anyone else wouldn't surprise him at all. Take that for what it's worth.

The Mitchell Report has been turned in, and will be released on Thursday. It's expected to have the names of 60-80 current and former players.

Page 11 of 310 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast