Page 1 of 310 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussion

MLB Discussion

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Brilliant.

I really am surprised that Torre would want to manage a team run by McCourt.

I'm surprised he didn't take a year off. That's pretty standard. I thought for sure I'd see him in a booth or studio next season.

The fact that he's 67 led me to believe he wouldn't want to manage a new team. I'd have loved if he came back to the Angels as an announcer. He was one of the best announcers they've ever had.

That Toledo proposal rocks. That is all.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

The more I think about it, the more I actually don't want the Cubs to get A-Rod. Besides he's done about as much in the post season as the Cubs have recently anyways.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

More and more people are talking about the Tigers acquiring him. I'm actually beginning to panic.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    More and more people are talking about the Tigers acquiring him. I'm actually beginning to panic.
    The Tigers don't need A-Rod. They need more pitching. I know you agree.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Absolutely. Someone please call Dombrowski and tell him that. Please.

I'm thinking he'll end up a Giant. Maybe thats hope though, I haven't decided.

Director
    I've pretty much had it with Yankee fans telling me they'd rather have someone like Scott Brosius than ARod anyways because Brosius knew how to win.

Yeah. Ok.

Career Postseason #s
    Brosius - .245/.278/.418 OPS - .696
    Rodriguez - .279/.361/.483 OPS - .844

The regular season comparison is even funnier.

What about postseason numbers strictly as a Yankee? Skip Bayless (who I loathe) told a stat after the Yankees were eliminated that in A-Rod's last 57 at bats in the postseason with runners in scoring position, he drove in the runner exactly zero times. That's a pretty startling stat. I know he had success early in his career, but he's been all but useless since donning the pinstripes.

Director
    What about postseason numbers strictly as a Yankee? ... I know he had success early in his career, but he's been all but useless since donning the pinstripes.
    He's certainly had a worse postseason career with the Yankees but his numbers are still respectable.

.245/.356/.436 OPS - 792

His problem is that those numbers are only a decent clip above average whereas people's expectations given his regular season career numbers are obviously much higher.
    A-Rod's last 57 at bats in the postseason with runners in scoring position, he drove in the runner exactly zero times.
    It was something like 57 ABs without an RBI period and not with runners in scoring position. It's still a bad streak any way you cut it but it's also a small enough sample size that it may or may not be statistically significant.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    It was something like 57 ABs without an RBI period and not with runners in scoring position. It's still a bad streak any way you cut it but it's also a small enough sample size that it may or may not be statistically significant.
    No, the stat he quoted was with runners in scoring position, because A-Rod had a solo home run this last series, and it was after they had been eliminated. 57 ABs with runners in scoring position and no RBIs to speak of? I don't care of that's a small sample size, it's alarming for a player of his caliber.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    No, the stat he quoted was with runners in scoring position, because A-Rod had a solo home run this last series, and it was after they had been eliminated. 57 ABs with runners in scoring position and no RBIs to speak of? I don't care of that's a small sample size, it's alarming for a player of his caliber.
    can't handle the pressure...

Director
    I had to look it up because I'm bored at work and that number didn't make any sense.

His last postseason RBI with w/ runners in scoring position was in Game 2 of the LDS in 2004 (Bottom 12th, double scored Miguel Cairo from 2B). He did have 2 RBI in Game 3 of the 2004 LCS in which Jeter scored from 1B twice but they obviously don't count.

The 57 is definitely not for runners in scoring position and his active streak is only at 15. You can check out box scores here...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    I had to look it up because I'm bored at work and that number didn't make any sense.

His last postseason RBI with w/ runners in scoring position was in Game 2 of the LDS in 2004 (Bottom 12th, double scored Miguel Cairo from 2B). He did have 2 RBI in Game 3 of the 2004 LCS in which Jeter scored from 1B twice but they obviously don't count.

The 57 is definitely not for runners in scoring position and his active streak is only at 15. You can check out box scores here...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/
    Well, it was Skip Bayless. Man I hate that guy.

I hope no one comes close to offering what he already turned down. $350 million is ridiculous. For anyone. Being locked into contract with a guy who'll be making $30 million+ a year in his forties is laughable. He might be worth that much now, and teams can get away with 4-5 years of paying him that, but when he's 42???

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    I hope no one comes close to offering what he already turned down. $350 million is ridiculous. For anyone. Being locked into contract with a guy who'll be making $30 million+ a year in his forties is laughable. He might be worth that much now, and teams can get away with 4-5 years of paying him that, but when he's 42???
    According to ESPN Radio, Boras is justifying it by saying that when he's older, he'll be selling tickets because he'll be close to breaking the HR record, the same way Bonds was still filling seats this season. Still, 10 years at $350 million is ridiculous. The sad part is, even after Tom Hicks showed what a disaster it will become, someone will bite and pay him that kind of money.

Using the Angels, my team, as an example. They happen to be on the top of everyone's list on who will land Arod. The Angels sold out roughly half their games last year. Their attendance was at 3.35 million down from 3.5 million a year ago. One of the tops in MLB. There isn't a whole lot of room for increased revenue from ticket sales. Unless you jack up the prices. The Angels just inked a long term TV package with FSN a year ago, no room for a private YES-like TV deal. Moreno did just purchase a radio station in which to broadcast games, but I can't see a radio station recouping Arod's salary. Financially it doesn't work. Yes he is a power-hitting 3rd baseman, which they could use, but at the risk of hogtying the payroll for years to come? Moreno has publicly said "no" to this. I hope he just isn't trying to out bluff Boras.

Since A-Rod isn't going to be kicked around by the NYC media anymore and his agent is demanding an insane amount of money for him when he didn't do anything in the post season in NY I don't really like the guy anymore. My issue of SI that came yesterday illustrated just how weak the free agent class is this season. You almost have to have a decent to good farm system to compete in the MLB these days.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I wouldn't be so sure. Seems the Mets are fairly serious about bringing him in. They even sat down and had a discussion with David Wright about his future at 3B.

I wouldn't be so sure. Seems the Mets are fairly serious about bringing him in. They even sat down and had a discussion with David Wright about his future at 3B.
    I also think the Mets are on of the few teams with the ability to support his ludacris offer, not to mention the fact that he's already settled in NY with a fanbase there. Funny no one seems to mention the fact that A-Rod is still a SS by trade, and that may be an avenue for him as well with Jeter out of the picture.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Page 1 of 310 1231151101 ... LastLast