Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All the Money in the World (Ridley Scott, 2017?)

Looks decent, although I did not know it was a Scott film until recently.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Ummm this looks way better.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Yeah that looks awesome.

I hope no one involved is a sexual predator.

It'd be nice to be able to enjoy things again.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Ummm this looks way better.

Ha. Wow.

IS that Brandon Fraser???

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wow, Hollywood's trend of making the same story simultaneously in different studios strikes again... now in theaters and TV!

That trailer suggests the kid kidnapped himself, though. Although it would make sense, this is the first time I've ever heard that theory about this story.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 01-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.

That theory is also brought up in the movie.

Feel kinda bad for Ridley that he was apparently misled after praising the cast's willingness to do the reshoots for free to the press.

https://t.co/iREfH72PFZ

Making this about gender pay gap is misleading, though. You can't compare Wahlberg's salary increase to Williams' per diem. It's per diem. This is a matter of Williams willing to do it for free and Wahlberg demanding the opposite. That's not a pay gap, that's outright refusal to play.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Aw.

Director Ridley Scott reportedly didn't know that Mark Wahlberg was pocketing millions of dollars for the "All The Money in the World" reshoots. He feels betrayed, angry and "hung out to dry" about being in the dark, especially considering the pay discrepancy between the film's two stars.
    Movie Theater Diary

So many different ways to look at this.

Apparently Wahlberg/Williams are on the same agency together too, so you think Williams' agent would've spoke up after finding out that Wahlberg got paid additional. Unless he/she is just a terrible agent.

Studio obviously tried to keep it quiet to save money, which probably deserves the biggest criticism.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ridley Scott's got an amazing publicist (or team of publicists). First, when it turned out that Spacey was a child rapist, he doesn't just quickly reshoot his scenes with a different actor but, it turns out, he really wanted Plummer all along but was overruled by the studio because, you know, Ridley Scott doesn't have any clout in Hollywood whatsofuckingever. And the guy from The Sound of Fucking Music who won an Oscar only six years ago is a complete unknown whom no one has ever head of. And now, when it turns out that Williams was being paid less money than the guy at the craft services table, articles appear almost immediately letting the world know that Scott's outraged and knew nothing about it and, if he had known, why he surely would have done something about it. Next, we'll be hearing about him personally rescuing a child from a well.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Ridley Scott's got an amazing publicist (or team of publicists). First, when it turned out that Spacey was a child rapist, he doesn't just quickly reshoot his scenes with a different actor but, it turns out, he really wanted Plummer all along but was overruled by the studio because, you know, Ridley Scott doesn't have any clout in Hollywood whatsofuckingever. And the guy from The Sound of Fucking Music who won an Oscar only six years ago is a complete unknown whom no one has ever head of. And now, when it turns out that Williams was being paid less money than the guy at the craft services table, articles appear almost immediately letting the world know that Scott's outraged and knew nothing about it and, if he had known, why he surely would have done something about it. Next, we'll be hearing about him personally rescuing a child from a well.
    If only he saved Joaquin Phoenix from a sniper shot like Herzog.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Eh, I can buy the Spacey/Plummer story. Plummer is a known actor to us but in the world of people who watch movies for entertainment alone, none knows who he is.

Thoughts on Wahlberg donating his disproportionate salary to the cause in Williams name? I was thinking he would split it with her directly. Do people on film sets discuss their salaries? That would be weird. I wonder how much they knew. The HR article makes me think it was mostly agents. Really bad look that they're both repped by same company. William Morris perpetuating the problem. I wonder if Mark talked to Michelle before the move.

Mark Wahlberg always has been and always will be a prick.

The only reason he’s donating his salary is because he got called out and looked REAL bad.

Zero respect for this guy. He’s not even a good actor.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

The only reason he’s donating his salary is because he got called out and looked REAL bad.

I like Whalberg as an actor (especially in We Own the Night), but he's definitely a prick. If Louis CK needs to go away forever for masturbating in front of women (which is not cool, by the way), why are people okay with Mark Whalberg randomly punching an Asian guy in the face?
    Just because...

The (New) World

I could be wrong but I think it's because he was like 15 and had a come to Jesus revelation after being arrested. At least that's what I recall. His ability to act or not is irrelevant.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ha. Wow.

IS that Brandon Fraser???
    Wow! It is!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I like Whalberg as an actor (especially in We Own the Night), but he's definitely a prick. If Louis CK needs to go away forever for masturbating in front of women (which is not cool, by the way), why are people okay with Mark Whalberg randomly punching an Asian guy in the face?
    Oh, it wasn't just that one guy, but I think he was charged with attempted murder for the most well-known of those racially-charged attack I think you're referring to.

And, sure, okay, these things were thirty years ago when he was a teenager, he's since gone all Jesus Saves, removed all of his tattoos, done everything from starting a youth foundation to participating in meme charity The Happening, and generally gone about being a stable, amiable person publicly (not forgetting the "I coulda stahpped 9/11" type of shit, though). But there's the sense that he doesn't quite know how to move on from it, like when a few years ago he still felt the need to request a full public pardon of everything on his Massachusetts criminal record (to no avail). Like, c'mon.

So as much I really might like his work in one of about every ten things he makes (but he makes a lot!), he's still a deeply problematic person who'd always seemingly rather erase his past and only try to make good on things like this re-shoot salary scheming after he'd already chosen to do it strictly for himself, never really knowing how to take a hit before or after discreet indiscretions.

And, yeah, it's probably a minefield trying to awkwardly prognosticate about this kind of thing, but when it comes to, say, the Louis CK's, James Francos, Casey Afflecks and anyone else whose work is largely admired but now finds themselves with an image (rightfully) fractured, where they did absolutely unjustifiable things but as artists they feel more in the realm of having the possibility of being allowed back into good-enough graces to work again, at least in terms of feeling like they have the capacity for truly learning, genuinely growing, and offering things of worth in the future, both through their usual lines of work but more importantly potential example of conscious, dedicated reform as people, compared to a Weinstein or a Cosby where they put in the time and horrid effort to now make that their legacies. And of course simply implying different cases of any such behaviour is any more or less significant than other examples feels wrong, especially since just because it might feel like a lesser tier of an offense doesn't mean it should be any more acceptable or tolerated. But when it comes to careers intertwined with these sorts of things, people more in charge than us in the near future will inevitably begin to choose where to give admission, dismission and varied elements of neglection of these types of public charges attached to people, and those new gray areas will form.

I guess Mel Gibson has been a recent public Beta Test for this kind of thing, though him directing made more sense than him starring in a family comedy like Daddy's Home 2 as, hey(!), Mark Wahlberg's dad! We did it guys! Full circle!
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 01-14-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

- - - - -
    If Louis CK needs to go away forever for masturbating in front of women (which is not cool, by the way), why are people okay with Mark Whalberg randomly punching an Asian guy in the face?
    When I was in highschool, a guy told me about a game called "Brick." You get a buncha friends in a car, with a pile of bricks in the backseat, and drive around an ethnic neighborhood. When you see someone walking down the street, you lean out the window and yell, "Hey [racial slur]!" Then you throw the brick. If you hit your target, the car drives away. If you miss ... then you have to go get the brick. Everybody must take a turn.

The guy who told me this had a jagged scar running from his top right forehead down to his lower left jawline. He had missed. When he went to get the brick, the dude he threw it at picked it up and hit him in the face with it.

As a point of clarification, the reason Wahberg was seeking a pardon, was that his criminal record was blocking him from going in on a business venture, I think opening a restaurant or some such.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Weird post. What's your beef with him?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Weird post. What's your beef with him?
    He either doesn't like people who committed violent hate crimes, or had a traumatic experience to "Good Vibrations." I think either is a valid reason to have a beef with Wahlberg.
    Movie Theater Diary

That's what people think of when they hear Mark Wahlberg's name? They think, that 13 year old must be exactly the same person as he is today? No second chances.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's what people think of when they hear Mark Wahlberg's name? They think, that 13 year old must be exactly the same person as he is today? No second chances.
    Like I said, I like his acting, but at the end of the day, he's still somebody who committed a hate crime. I'm not saying that people shouldn't hire him as an actor (or that I won't go to see his films); I'm just saying I don't respect him as a human being.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Like I said, I like his acting, but at the end of the day, he's still somebody who committed a hate crime. I'm not saying that people shouldn't hire him as an actor (or that I won't go to see his films); I'm just saying I don't respect him as a human being.
    Because of what he did as a minor? Did you do anything stupid as a minor? Should we not respect you for said stupid thing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast