Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unite the League!

5 33.33%
  • Flashpoint it

10 66.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justice League (Zack Whedon)

From everything I've read about the drastic retcon of Superman's look and characterization, I'm a little surprised they didn't insist on CGI-ing red trunks on him.

(I would've loved that)
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Actual conversation I had this morning:

"I don't even know what Cyborg's powers are."
    "Do you want me to tell you?"
    "No, I don't care."
    "Are you sure?"
    "I can tell you want to tell me, so just tell me. What are Cyborg's powers?"
    "He's a cyborg."
    "I hate you."
    "That's his power!"
    "Okay, but does he have like weapons?"
    "He has all the weapons. He's a cyborg."
    "Why is he a cyborg, though?"
    "His dad makes cyborgs."
    "I don't want to talk about Cyborg anymore."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Man, I really can't with "vision" regarding Snyder. Yes, he has one, best encapsulated in that MoS behind-the-scene gif where he so enthusiastically, gleefully demonstrated how to break a person's neck to Caville and Shannon. Vision that is just, no.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Man, I really can't with "vision" regarding Snyder. Yes, he has one, best encapsulated in that MoS behind-the-scene gif where he so enthusiastically, gleefully demonstrated how to break a person's neck to Caville and Shannon. Vision that is just, no.
    I think he has definite vision in terms of how he wants a film to look and feel. He's great at texture, and while we fairly goof on him for all his indulgent precisely-composed slo-mo, Man of Steel and Dawn of the Dead function with different cinematic styles to good effect (or rather, the styles of the films aren't their problems). He can craft individual sequences of impactful movement and motion and good editing. If you're looking for coherent messaging or narrative, you won't get it. I guess it depends on what "vision" means to you.

BvS is a disaster of a film, but its grimy depressed palette is aggressively and consistently unpleasant, and I don't think that's an accident.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 11-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    "I can tell you want to tell me, so just tell me. What are Cyborg's powers?"
    "He's a cyborg."
    I laughed, but then I also laughed at your "Wisdom of the Crowd" references.

(I get the impression that you're friends punch you on the arm a lot; if they don't, they're derelict in their duties.)

Not to be overly-critical though, let me highlight a few things that stood out to me as moments I actually liked:

The chase on Themyscira was pretty awesome.

[
    ]

[
    ]

Producer
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I think he has definite vision in terms of how he wants a film to look and feel. He's great at texture, and while we fairly goof on him for all his indulgent precisely-composed slo-mo, Man of Steel and Dawn of the Dead function with different cinematic styles to good effect (or rather, the styles of the films aren't their problems). He can craft individual sequences of impactful movement and motion and good editing. If you're looking for coherent messaging or narrative, you won't get it. I guess it depends on what "vision" means to you.

BvS is a disaster of a film, but its grimy depressed palette is aggressively and consistently unpleasant, and I don't think that's an accident.
    I actually agree with all this; it's just as this moment of his career I don't see it as a positive thing at all.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    The mildest of yays. It feels disjointed and unfocused stylistically throughout, looks like another trip into CGI Hell and really needed to spend more time on [
    ] instead of the trio of MacGuffin boxes, but once the team got together it started to click for me and got better by the third act. It set up the characters of Cyborg and The Flash well for their first instances in this universe, and while it was a little weird to see Aquaman fill the role of the league's loose cannon, it's a fresh look on the character I guess? Plus I will admit I got giddy hearing the great score from Danny Elfman and seeing fun character moments; one of my favorites being the scene where [
    ] For those reasons and what's teased in the after credits scene*, I'm still confident that the DCEU is still headed in the right direction despite this movie being rough around the edges. It should've been better, but it could've been worse.

*[
    ]
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 11-18-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Seeing this in an hour. It just has to beat bland mediocrity (WW) and absolute dumpster fire (SS) to be the best DCU film I’ve seen. And I’m still not confident.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    You also reported that Wonder Woman wasn't going to have a 60 million dollar opening.
    http://deadline.com/2017/11/justice-...ar-1202211094/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    To hell with the box office, did she say yes? What's the news?!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh yeh. Last night I setup a private four course dinner overlooking the water. When dessert arrived I told her there was one last course, got on my knee and she burst into tears. I've been over using the super zoom filter on Instagram for folks that want some context.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

45/100

Characterized by a complete lack of rhythm and style, this is a completely flat slog from point A to point B. I've always thought that DC superheroes are more iconic and lend themselves better to cinema than Marvel heroes, and there are flashes of isolated single money shots that look cooler than MCU heroes in action (mostly involving Wonder Woman), but it is all in service of a dull, dull, dull story and endless introductions and exposition. (And seriously - Mother Box? THAT is the name you went with?)

And talk about being overpowered - why need anyone else if Superman can do all that? Dramatic stakes = 0.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

The whole Mother Box / Boom Tube verbiage goes back to Jack Kirby in the 1950s. I'm not excusing it necessarily (especially as I don't know how they play it in the film), but a part of me is happy they kept the silly names intact. Kirby's whole "Fourth World" is spectacularly absurd.

Yeah, I'm not a comic book fan at all, so it is all new to me - and exceptionally silly.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Oh yeh. Last night I setup a private four course dinner overlooking the water. When dessert arrived I told her there was one last course, got on my knee and she burst into tears. I've been over using the super zoom filter on Instagram for folks that want some context.
    Wooohoo!

So many huge congratulations from both Jen and I, Duke!!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

A lot of good reasons are brought up as to why Whedon's changes just flat out don't work in a Zack Snyder film.

Way to go duke!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

A patchwork, for sure, and the humor is waaay hit-or-miss (mostly the latter). But there's some things that work. Thought the big action sequences actually felt sorta muted, with the exception of the scene after [
    ], which felt fantastically potent and fun. For about 4 minutes. Thought Fisher squeezed a lot of humanity out of a thankless, barely there role. Affleck's makeup and look were all over the place; Bruce Wayne looked like a recently divorced dad. Miller was too twitchy. Not sure what they're gonna do to differentiate Darkseid much from Steppenwolf. It's gonna feel like more of the same. (Really, though, can we please get Michael Ironside? .)
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Not bad.

Not particularly good, but I felt sufficiently diverted. Might even watch it again someday.

The party line is fairly accurate. Story feels cut down, Steppenwolf is dull, but the actors bring a lot of charisma, and the tone is improved, not to the point that this is a shameless ape of Marvel, but to the point where you think these might be human beings for whom existence is not a miserabilist slog and people in need are not burdens.

[And I say that as someone deeply suspicious of those who place importance on tone - tone is much more adjustable than story, and adjusting tone doesn't mean you've changed a story. "Fixing tone" is often about as effective as putting a brighter paint job on a dilapidated house.]

What I said on FB was it's not a catastrophe - or it's a catastrophe that wears it well.

The biggest - and most unavoidable - problem here is that a film that was no doubt intended to play as summation was forced to become recalibration. I have little doubt Snyder's original vision for the film would've been worse than what we got, but it would've been more idiosyncratic and consistent to the previous entries.

That said, the details-oriented part of my brain is quietly pleased that they're still finding plot uses for spaceships that crashed in Man of Steel. A nice touch is that the birthing chamber is crashed by Supes originally, then Lex makes Doomsday with it, then the League uses it to [
    ]

I'm not going to say that Justice League is the worst movie I've seen this year, but it may well be my least favorite. The more I think about this movie, and the more I read about it, the more I absolutely detest it. What Whedon and the studio did was flat out disrespectful.

Producer

Please direct me to any article that might detail what is changed and what parts Whedon is responsible for, for the sake of my Snyder-purism-allergic sensibility. All I know is that Whedon's parts are about 15-20% of the film (per producer) and he pared down subplots and eliminate cliffhanger of next villain.
    Last edited by Peng; 11-21-2017 at 02:04 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast