• Unite the League!

5 33.33%
  • Flashpoint it

10 66.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice League (Zack Whedon)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Justice League (Zack Whedon)

I'm not planning on seeing this opening weekend, for I will be in Bermuda, proposing to my gf.

I came across this clip, which wasn't terrible. So, make me proud MC and I expect full analysis when I return.

[]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm not planning on seeing this opening weekend, for I will be in Bermuda, proposing to my gf.
    Wow, what? Holy shit, congrats, Duke!

Good luck buddy!

Holy shit a million congratulations dude!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    If there's any justice in the world, she'll say yes.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Congrats, duke!!!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I was expecting this to premiere internationally last Friday (since we are seeing that a lot more lately) to read a little about it. Can anymore more familiar with the industry explain why it didn't? Is it just studio preference?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

A buddy of mine is cosplaying Aquaman for the premiere. My girlfriend and I drew all the tattoos on him over two evenings, Sharpie on skin-tone mesh t-shirt. We 3D printed the "quindent". He's getting paid for it by the theater, but definitely not enough for so much work. At least he'll wear it a few times on several cons...

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

No pics?? That would be fun to see.

I have some WIPs, but I'll post something when I have proper quality and permission, of course.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    It's not a complete disaster but it's not a home run. So I guess if you're expecting either you'll be disappointed? The best you can do is just re-watch Lego Batman, Wonder Woman, Logan or Ragnarok instead, since they all offer the sort of thrills, laughs and weight this does not with similar elements and much more adept storytelling and cinematic verve.

It's not awful. Faint praise but it feels pretty easily a (distant) 2nd best of this franchise after Jenkins' Wonder Woman (though a part of me thinks revisiting Man of Steel as a refresher would clarify that). It feels oddly wittily cohesive and nicely paced despite the clearly slapdash merging of directors' visions of what it should be, but there's simply not much of a story or sense of ramped up scope and energy to justify itself as an event of bringing these characters together for the very first live action Justice League movie ever. As I was watching the smash-y, often incoherent CGI (at least being sat in the middle of the audience of a full IMAC screen) in the finale of batmobiling, skidding, shooting, and 'splosions galore, I began having reverse A.D.D. where so much stimulation made me mentally glaze over and unconsciously tune out to think, "THIS was the idea of what they thought a big Justice League movie could be?" left to think and wonder in hopeless awe about the details I know of George Miller's iteration and how dazzling and sharply emotional it sounded.

I have a lot of specific, spoiler-y bullet-point notes, but they can wait until I've gotten some sleep. 'Til then, all the best, Duke!!

**½ / 5.7ish
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Producer
    [
    ]

^Wait, I haven't seen it yet, but is the mustache CGI-out that obvious in the film?
    Last edited by Peng; 11-17-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    not without its redeeming qualities—that first scene on Themyscira w/ Steppenwolf was pretty boss. but...

if you had spoken to me ten years ago and let me see into the future to find out what the fuckin' Justice League movie would be/look like compared to what I had imagined, it... uh... wouldn't have been this.

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

This... was just okay. :\

This was just such a nothing movie. I can't sit here and rag on Marvel for their aggressive cookie cutter mediocrity and then give DC a pass when they put out the exact same bullshit. It's not awful, or completely incompetant like something like Suicide Squad. But this was still just depressingly hollow and generic.

@TGM, works for Marvel and everybody screams at DC for not being like Marvel, so what did you think would happen?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    [
    ]

^Wait, I haven't seen it yet, but is the mustache CGI-out that obvious in the film?
    I was actually all ready to hate-watch that particular element of it, but aside from maybe that exact shot tweeted there, it didn't even cross my mind as I watched it in the moment. So either being fairly absorbed in the IMAX image made it harder to notice, or.. good job VFX crew on what was very likely their weirdest assignment of their careers to date!

Also, some spoiler-y things that came to mind as I watched it:

- The opening newspaper with [
    ]

- To number8: [
    ]

- Hey! It's [
    ]

- BvS's Most Superfluous Sequence Report UPDATE! [
    ]

- This movie has funny jokes sometimes! And I don't want to be that guy who assumes all the good ones are from Whedon re-shoots and the duds are Snyder holdovers but...........

- R.I.P. Superman[
    ]

I also lost a bit of this post before, but I think I mentioned something about how fun it is to now watch the trailers back and see just how much isn't in the final film. Or even the stuff that is, it all looks so drastically different, from the finale's sky going from a bluish grey to cherry red, and even FX-less interior scenes where characters now have skin tones and everything else doesn't simply resemble varying shades of concrete. The same part of me that really wants to see all of the excised scenes also knows there's a good chance we'll never see most of it. It's a shame the final movie isn't more fun and interesting to not let my mind wonder what could've been, even if it was worse.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I have some WIPs, but I'll post something when I have proper quality and permission, of course.

Leaving this here
    http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedon-steppenwolf-tweet/

Also I heard this movie may not even reach Thor 3s opening

You also reported that Wonder Woman wasn't going to have a 60 million dollar opening.

- - - - -
    The rank insanity of DC fans will never stop surprising me.

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    - R.I.P. Superman[
    ]
    The suit annoyed the hell out of me here. I found it incredibly distracting just how drastically they fixed the color. Sure, that may be how it looks in the original source material, but that's not how it looks in this established universe. The sheer lack of any regard for continuity just felt disrespectful.

I also lost a bit of this post before, but I think I mentioned something about how fun it is to now watch the trailers back and see just how much isn't in the final film.
    Hell, the movie's plot is so light, it feels like there's an entire hour left on the cutting room floor, and all we're left with is essentially the outline for an actual plot. Again, this feels like more tinkering of Snyder's original vision, and after all, we know that Whedon re-wrote the script. I mean, MoS and BvS were convoluted, but they at least took some damn risks. They were at least interesting for it, memorable even. But this? This movie doesn't take a single damn risk in its entire runtime, and what we're left with is quite possibly the most depressingly cookie cutter generic superhero film I think I've seen since this whole "cinematic universe" trend started.

Like, can we talk about the music for a second? And how the music in this movie is absolutely forgettable. In a fucking Zack Snyder film? One of Snyder's signatures in his films is his bombastic use of music to elevate the material. And yet, after Whedon took over, one of the first pieces of news that broke was that he trashed Snyder's original score and brought in Danny Elfman. And what we got was by far the most bland, boring, and generic score in any Snyder movie to date.

Now take that radical misdirect with the music, and apply it to literally EVERY SINGLE THING IN THIS MOVIE, and you begin to see the inerrant flaw with this film. Whedon butchered this...

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    @TGM, works for Marvel and everybody screams at DC for not being like Marvel, so what did you think would happen?

I didn't say I wanted it that way .

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I didn't say I wanted it that way .
    I didn't say that you did, either.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast