Thread: Avatar problems.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

I wanna get on that hot Porg train, but every time I upload any kind of file, this site minimizes it to a tiny wittle tile.

I even tried DL-ing Irish's avatar and then uploading it just to see what would happen, and it made the avatar small again.

Every time, I've made sure I'm not exceeding the file size requirement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just wanna be a good porg boy.

It's the universe's way of telling you all to quit it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I wanna get on that hot Porg train, but every time I upload any kind of file, this site minimizes it to a tiny wittle tile.
    Ah, I wondered what that was about. I thought you were trying something different.

Have you ever successfully uploaded an avatar since Ezee upgraded to vBulletin 4?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Ah, I wondered what that was about. I thought you were trying something different.

Have you ever successfully uploaded an avatar since Ezee upgraded to vBulletin 4?
    This is my first time trying after the upgrade.

- - - - -
    I haven't been able to replicate the issue, which is weird.

I tried files that were too large, either by dimension or file size, and they uploaded fine every time. (It appears the listed limits only apply when you're trying to import from a URL.)

The only thing I would suggest is asking someone with admin privileges to go into your account and see if they can upload an avatar without issue. At least that way, we'll know for sure whether it's a vBulletin problem or a user problem.

Other possibilities:

- If you're a mod, this may have something to do with your user group. (Do the other mods have normal avatars?) It's possible that E or whomever set special av dimensions for admins and regular users and nobody else because it wasn't needed until now.
    - Try uploading the avatar to another server (at the correct size) and moving it to MatchCut via the URL option.
    Last edited by Irish; 11-05-2017 at 05:29 AM.

- - - - -
    Do me a favor and upload any old avatar in the meantime. I want to check out something out in the HTML around your posts.

That is my bad. Irish was right, the Moderator usergroup had a smaller avatar size limit. I never realized that. Should be normal now.

Next time feel free to PM me with profile issues. I don't read every thread and I overlook them all the time.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That is my bad. Irish was right, the Moderator usergroup had a smaller avatar size limit. I never realized that. Should be normal now.

Next time feel free to PM me with profile issues. I don't read every thread and I overlook them all the time.
    Will do, thanks, man.

The main problem with Avatar is that it's completely forgettable. For all of the bombast, there is absolutely nothing to sink my teeth into. The story is rote, the script a poorly written series of cliche, and the characters are all but non-existent. Twenty minutes after the film ended, I couldn't remember a single name of anyone in the movie except for Navi (right?), nor could I even recall anything of substance.
    Last edited by D_Davis; 11-10-2017 at 10:54 PM.

I was just about to make this joke. I feel cheated.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

The Legend of Korra was a total letdown!

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    The main problem with Avatar is that it's completely forgettable. For all of the bombast, there is absolutely nothing to sink my teeth into. The story is rote, the script a poorly written series of cliche, and the characters are all by non-existent. Twenty minutes after the film, I couldn't remember a single name of anyone in the movie except for Navi (right?), nor could I even recall anything of substance.
    I mean, on the one hand, it's rote and derivative, but by the same token, there's a merciful clarity to Cameron's storytelling. Yes, we've seen it before, but we're also spared the needless obscurantism and faux-complexity of most modern blockbusters that mistake a busy plot for a mature or "serious" plot.

We're also entirely spared of a reason to give a single damn about anything. What's at stake? When the same themes and topics are more deeply explored and more fully realized in hokum like FernGully and Captain Planet, what can possibly be said to redeem the film beyond it's glossy visuals?

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    We're also entirely spared of a reason to give a single damn about anything. What's at stake? When the same themes and topics are more deeply explored and more fully realized in hokum like FernGully and Captain Planet, what can possibly be said to redeem the film beyond it's glossy visuals?
    I mean, it's pretty clear that what's at stake is the survival of the Navi tribe and the natural environment. If you don't care about them, that's fine, but that's more an issue of the film failing to generate empathy instead of unclear stakes. Most action blockbusters are fairly clear about stakes (because they're all about apocalypse, sigh), and the biffing of the story comes from them failing to place those stakes in a meaningful emotional context for us (or by busying them with errand-boy subplots).